Are all Hoka foot warmers? (Read 94 times)

an amazing likeness

Under Dr orders to wear the softest clown shoes possible, I transitioned to Hoka Bondi as primary shoe few months ago. Well...now that spring has sprung and 50F temps are here, these things are hot.  Like mini-bake ovens of foot heat. Like needing a bilge pump to remove foot sweat on longer runs.

Are all Hoka models so sealed up and un-breathable?  Does anyone make an equivalent to the Bondi which is actually ventilated and wearable in the summer?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I don't seem to get hot feet, so I haven't had a problem with Hoka. BUT, max cushion alternatives are Altra Olympus and Skechers GoRun Ultra Road2. I wear the Ultra Road2 as my primary shoe, and although they aren't as breathable as the Ultra Road1, they seem to be OK. I have them on RIGHT NOW, and waving them around I can feel the air through the upper above my toes.

For the intrepid: get a soldering iron or heat up a 1/16"- 1/8" metal rod and melt a bunch of holes in the upper of the Bondi or any other shoe for more airflow. Just lines of polka dots, don't open them up. Melting instead of cutting automatically cauterizes them so they won't fall apart. Doing surgery on brand new expensive running shoes is a time honored tradition. Some people cut slits in the toebox to allow the shoes to spread for wider feet, some cut out holes in the side to relieve pressure, some people slit or cut away part of the heel counter to prevent rubbing against tender Achilles tendons. Practice on old shoes.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I haven’t had this issue and I’ve been trying out both the Bondi and the Arahi. The Arahi feels slightly more breathable and a little more like a traditional running shoe, but still very plush. I’m really loving it. The Bondi is like walking on clouds though. I’m amazed how much I love them both.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Mmmmm...beer

I've only run in the Cliftons, no heat issues, they feel great! The only shoes I've found that don't breathe, and also don't drain, were Inov-8s, I did half marathon in them in the summer and my feet actually got heavier through the race, never again.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I haven’t had this issue and I’ve been trying out both the Bondi and the Arahi. The Arahi feels slightly more breathable and a little more like a traditional running shoe, but still very plush. I’m really loving it. The Bondi is like walking on clouds though. I’m amazed how much I love them both.

Are you allowed to go as "normal" as Hupana? If so, I would give them a shot. I found them to be pretty breathable and a lot like a normal running shoe. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

Are you allowed to go as "normal" as Hupana? If so, I would give them a shot. I found them to be pretty breathable and a lot like a normal running shoe. 

Nads!

Runners run

I thought the Hupana was an "athleisure" shoe, and not a serious running shoe?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rlopez

Be ready that Hoka destroyed the good ol' Arahi with Arahi 2.

Back to the question at hand... the very first thing I said after my 10 mile test run in the Arahi... "damn, these things heat up my feet."

Thing is, I've worn all kinds of Hokas over the past 5 years... various models of Stinson, Bondi, Clifton, Challenger, Rapa Nui (rot in hell), Clayton, Arahi... of the top of my head; there were probably a couple more. Some of these shoes have been horrible.. Rapa Nui (rot in hell) and Stinson 3... but they didn't heat up my feet. I only noticed this with the Arahi. And I still like them.

Damn shame Arahi 2 is a different shoe.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Back to the question at hand... the very first thing I said after my 10 mile test run in the Arahi... "damn, these things heat up my feet."

Thing is, I've worn all kinds of Hokas over the past 5 years... various models of Stinson, Bondi, Clifton, Challenger, Rapa Nui (rot in hell), Clayton, Arahi... of the top of my head; there were probably a couple more. Some of these shoes have been horrible.. Rapa Nui (rot in hell) and Stinson 3... but they didn't heat up my feet. I only noticed this with the Arahi. And I still like them.

It’s the Arahi 2 that I have! I like them a lot! But I never ran in the first version, so I don’t have a benchmark to compare them to.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Fuuuuuuuuudge!

I don't get shoe designing.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I switched to Hoka a few years ago and love them. I have a couple of pairs of old Bondi B’s for recovery runs and they feel amazing (different to the newer versions) My collection includes Clifton, Odyssey, Stinson, Clayton, Tracers (for racing) and can’t fault any of them and never had an issues with hot feet! All I can suggest is experiment with different socks in the summer.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus