Orthodics (Read 439 times)

msl

I had some problems with my foot a while ago and my orthopedist sent me to a special sports foot doctor. Got a super fancy foot analysis and got orthodics made. He said I am a strong over-pronator and listed running shoes that would suit me best. Bought Asics 2120's and inserted my othodics. Up to 5K they felt fine. But now that I have increased my speed and distance,I have pain in my leg behind my shin bone. So, I tried the orthodics in my neutral shoe. Felt a bit better.( Also an Asics). Does it make sense that maybe a support shoe plus my othodic is too much correction causing my leg pain? Could it be that I simply need new shoes? Since I and DH were misdiagnosed at a runners point, I am hesitant to go anywhere and ask for help...How do I know what shoe is best without buying 20 pairs?
      I would like to hear the replies on this myself....I just bought some 2120s too.

The Jogger

I had custom made orthodics made for me 2 years ago, wearing them in the first 2 weeks I was getting all sorts of aches and pains in the legs plus uncomfortable on the feet. It was just my body getting use to the changes. I have raced in them and wear them in my normal shoes aswell. Oh I had to increase the time I wore them bit by bit for the first few days until I could wear them full time. Roy
        Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Hi all... I've had custom made orthotics for about 4 years now (same problem .. over-pronation affecting achilles tendon). I wear mine with ASICS 2120s without any problem (and previously 2090, 2100, 2110s). I also wear them in my trail shoes (but you do need to take care that any trail shoes you buy are 'deep' enough to take the orthotics). I do recall that when I first started to wear them it felt very strange as my body adapted to the change in gait and I was warned about the odd ache/pain plus possible blisters as different parts of my feet rubbed against the shoe/orthotic. This lasted a couple of weeks. Other advice - the orthotics do not last for ever - I replace mine every 2 years (~2000 miles) as the continual pounding does take its toll on them. You also need to take care of what insole you have - the orthotics are not intended to go on top of the ASICS insole - I bought a flat one to use instead. Summary - persevere with them - I'm sure they will help. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

msl

I should specify that I have had and run with the orthodics since September. I didn't experience any problem until I increased my mileage. My shoes are, however, 1 year old. That is why I wonder if perhaps I need new shoes. And, I did take the original shoe inlay out! I also wonder, as it is only my left leg that is bothering me, if maybe there is a problem with that orthodic.
              so how many miles do you have on the shoes?? My shins started bothering me with my old orthotics in them (just got a new pair) but I think it maybe more due to going from almost no mileage to several miles everyday. I am trying to start up slower now...
              finney

Resident pinniped

Are 2120's for overpronators? If so, you don't need something ELSE to correct pronation. Your orthotics, if they were made right, should be doing that so you should be able to run in just about any neutral shoe you want. If there's lots of miles on your shoes (and some can break down at the 300-400 mile mark depending on your build, stride, and terrain you run on), you might just need a new pair.
                chrimbler

2120's are for mild/moderate over pronators
                  Run like you stole it!