Sneaking in a few extra miles - can't hurt right? (Read 6570 times)

This might be the dumbest noob question in a while…

In the fall, I want to race a solid marathon. I’ve only done one before (12 years ago), and this may be the only one I ever do again, but I want to give it another try, and I want to do it well (and well for me, I’m guessing, means something like 3:10). At my peak this summer I was able to fit in about 40 miles per week – yeah, I’ve come along from the days when I claimed I could only fit in 14mpw.  And that was without what most would consider any “long” runs (nothing over 12 miles). So, just with a few more weekend hours I could certainly get the mileage up in the 50s without changing much.

I’m convinced that to really race it well, I might need to do a bit more than that. Key is fitting it in. I probably have a little time early mornings – where I think I could get 2 or so miles in each workday. They would be slow, as all of my weekday runs would be 4 hours later.

Meat of the question: this extra 10 miles a week probably won’t hurt – will it help?

If I were answering this question myself, I would say – shut up and try it and find out. If it won’t hurt (assumption), then it can only help, so why not try it? But since I’m not really experienced at running or training (training well I guess), is this right?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    xhristopher

My money is on you having no problem with that goal. I went from 30 mpw to 55 (ish) for 18 weeks before my fall 2010 marathon and ran 3:12 easily--and--you are a good bit faster at 30 mpw than I was. Do it.

Maniac

I certainly don't think a few extra 2-milers during the week is going to hurt anything....I do, however, question whether it will do any good.  Try and see how you feel.  See if you think it helps you on your long runs.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I certainly don't think a few extra 2-milers during the week is going to hurt anything....I do, however, question whether it will do any good.  Try and see how you feel.  See if you think it helps you on your long runs.

I'd imagine that for most people increasing their weekly mileage by 25% would result in goodness, especially going from 40 to 50 miles/week 

A Saucy Wench

Doing a short easy run in the morning before your real run in the afternoon is TONS of help.  It isnt about 40 vs. 50 miles - it really doesnt contribute much to your training volume per se, its about shaking out the legs between the real runs.  

Besides, it's a good way to start the day. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

This might be the dumbest noob question in a while…

In the fall, I want to race a solid marathon. I’ve only done one before (12 years ago), and this may be the only one I ever do again, but I want to give it another try, and I want to do it well (and well for me, I’m guessing, means something like 3:10). At my peak this summer I was able to fit in about 40 miles per week – yeah, I’ve come along from the days when I claimed I could only fit in 14mpw.  And that was without what most would consider any “long” runs (nothing over 12 miles). So, just with a few more weekend hours I could certainly get the mileage up in the 50s without changing much.

I’m convinced that to really race it well, I might need to do a bit more than that. Key is fitting it in. I probably have a little time early mornings – where I think I could get 2 or so miles in each workday. They would be slow, as all of my weekday runs would be 4 hours later.

Meat of the question: this extra 10 miles a week probably won’t hurt – will it help?

If I were answering this question myself, I would say – shut up and try it and find out. If it won’t hurt (assumption), then it can only help, so why not try it? But since I’m not really experienced at running or training (training well I guess), is this right?

I'm kind of "meh" about this.  I don't think it will hurt, but I'm not sure about the helping part.  I would try to go at least 30 minutes or 4 miles.  Of course, that's all based on if you have the time to do it...or you want to make the time to do it.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with Ennay - I think the easy morning runs will do wonders for you.  So, Experiment of One, let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. I get how if I did this I may not get the "increased mileage" benefits, but may very well get other benefits if done right...recovery, or better quality lunchtime runs. Will have to see. Something I'm going to try and incorporate next year.

MTA: by "quality" I don't mean "quality" I just mean "better", and by "better" I mean "easier", by which I don't necessarily mean "easier". In my head it makes sense.

Maniac

I'd imagine that for most people increasing their weekly mileage by 25% would result in goodness, especially going from 40 to 50 miles/week 

Sure....If looking at the totals, that sounds totally reasonable.  However, I don't know if those 10 miles spread out over 5 different runs gets you the same benefit as adding a 5-miler and then putting an extra mile or two onto 2 or 3 of your other/shorter runs.

That being said....Having time to add an extra 5-miler seems to be the issue, so it's not an option.

And like someone else said...Experiment of One....See how it makes you feel.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

MTA: by "quality" I don't mean "quality" I just mean "better", and by "better" I mean "easier", by which I don't necessarily mean "easier". In my head it makes sense.

I like your thought process. Smile

Only do it if it makes you feel better.

Odds are, as long as you're getting adequate rest and recovery, that you will find it hugely helpful. Getting your blood flowing and keeping active more frequently is a great way to keep your legs feeling like they're ready to go. The more often you run, the less awkward it feels to get those legs turning over each time you go out for a run. So, even if it's only 2 miles, it could be a huge help. I do think you might want to target about 20 minutes for a minimum, though, as you won't really get warmed up and feeling good until then. You do want to finish the run feeling good.

Julia1971

I would guess it wouldn't help with aerobic conditioning. I feel like there some lower limit, like 20 minutes, to getting any cardio benefit. But, I probably got that from some workout mag. As far as harm, as long as it's easy (you're not making cold muscles spint) I would think it couldn't hurt. However, I also didn't see the harm in taking a multi-vitamin but apparently, they're making me some kind of a risk-taking hedonist (oh, and killing me, too).

So, only two data points into this (wed and today), and maybe it's psychological or placebo-ey, but my lunch run "feels" crazy energetic after a slow 3 mile morning shake out (so far). I was surprised by this today, as yesterday I felt pretty beat up / worn down. Anyway, I'll continue to work these in and see if there's a lasting effect.

JimR

Doing a short easy run in the morning before your real run in the afternoon is TONS of help.  It isnt about 40 vs. 50 miles - it really doesnt contribute much to your training volume per se, its about shaking out the legs between the real runs.  

Very this, baby...

DoppleBock

I use to find great success in taking a 30-45 minute walk at lunch for this very reason

+

Well that and it kept me from eating as much 

+

I was bored ~ Other days I would go hit golf balls at the driving range

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !