Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dealio is that I need one camera for everything, and I value photo quality above most everything else in my compact camera.  So I get one that shoots well and then baggit.

Imminent Catastrophe

Actually the best type of camera is one that doesn't need batteries.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Actually the best type of camera is one that doesn't need batteries.

Heh...a 1-time use film camera...*scritch scritch scritch* *click* *scritch scritch scritch*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I always wanted one of these:

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I always wanted one of these:

I think you can still find those...but for a pretty penny.  Not sure if you would even be able to get film for them, anymore.  I had a beautiful 4x5 large format camera that I sold years ago (I think I got $800 for it and the massive carrying case, lens, and rail).  It just wasn't practical without my own darkroom set-up.  It paid for about half of my digital camera body.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Just picked up a Panasonic DMC-TS3. Waterproof to 12 meters, shockproof, encodes GPS position, altitude, direction of view and depth (if underwater). I'm in geek heaven. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Will it work in Monkeyville?

Feeling the growl again

Just picked up a Panasonic DMC-TS3. Waterproof to 12 meters, shockproof, encodes GPS position, altitude, direction of view and depth (if underwater). I'm in geek heaven. 

So it's perfect for when Trent's kid flushes it....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

Will it work in Monkeyville?

If I get selected in the lottery I'll find out.

Hennie108

I love love love my Panasonic Lumix LX5. It's (IMO) nicely compact and takes amazing pictures. It may be bigger than what you are after - I would never put a camera in my pocket regardless of size, so I don't really know if it fits the bill.

I researched a lot before getting it, and it got consistently very high praise as one of the very best compact (not ultracompact though!) cameras. 

As for image editing, I second GIMP as a Photoshop substitute, but I also use PhotoScape a lot, as it does what I want with less clicks, if my images don't need much editing. I use Photoshop and Photoscape side by side, and feel the compliment each other well.