2 Races in 9 days - Can I do this? (Read 420 times)

November 27 (Thanksgiving Day) we will be visiting family and there is a 5k Turkey Trot that morning. It will be my only shot at reaching my 2008 Goal of 25:30 for this distance. I feel I can reach it w/o actually "racing" or going all out...I feel I could do it fairly easily now, much less 8 weeks from now. Then on December 6th is my Marathon (St Judes in Memphis) - I am not trying to PR or anything, just finish (well finishing will be the PR Tongue). All this being said, I was planning on running a few 3-6 milers over the Thanksgiving Holidays...so, is there too much harm in going and getting my 2008 5k goal and the 2008 Marathon goal this close together. As for my other goals...10k will have to wait but I feel I could get that one pretty easily too. I doubt 6:00 mile will happen this year (maybe 6:20)...and I weighed 173.8 this morning but I am not crossing the 175 off until I hit below it consistently for about a week.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
      I think you can definately do them both. Most marathon plans that I've used have tempo runs up to and including race week. This 5k race will be your last tempo/tune-up run. You'll recover in time. Go for it!

Dave

Just looking at your log, Ben, I'd say you can absolutely do it. I'd make it your last bit of speedwork before your marathon though. Maybe integrate it into a longer run like an 7 miler as 3 miles of tempo in the middle (2 mile easy warmup, 5K tempo, 2 mile cooldown). Is that 80 minute/10 mile interval workout accurate? If so, you're going to crush that PR.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Yes you should do the 5K. It's perfect.

Bugs

I don't know how to work the interval thingy. I dont know the total time. I ran 1 mile 10 times and I said I averaged 8:00 miles but it was faster. 1 - 7:56 2 - 7:49 3 - 8:05 4 - 7:59 5 - 7:37 6 - 8:06 7 - 7:50 8 - 7:56 9 - 7:52 10 - 7:32 2 minute walk in between each mile.
            2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
            JakeKnight

At 40-50 miles per week? No problem. In fact, it'd be a good idea. Personally I think a fast 5k/10k one week before a marathon puts a little spring back in your legs. I always do it (or a hard set of 800s) a week out. At 15-20 miles per week? Well, as long as you truly don't care about the marathon time, sure, why not. But be careful. If it were my first marathon, I wouldn't do it, to be honest. You're going to be mighty pissed if you hurt something in a meaningless 5k and it derails your very first marathon. Now if you want to up your mileage, run a good marathon, and then race a 5k a week *after* the marathon, I'm all for it. You'd probably PR the 5k.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------