where do you feel stability shoes?? (Read 860 times)

I have have a theory that might help me zero in on my shoe problem. Most stability shoes and even the superfeet that I just bought seem to dig into my heel. I just figured that is the way it was supposed to be. I have been doing some research and I think maybe my foot is shaped sorta funny. All the pictures and diagrams I see show the support hitting peoples feet at the back of their arches. Could it be that my archs are set farther foward than most people's? Where do YOU feel the support from stability shoes? Do you feel it in your heel or in your arch? Also I think I understand why I was able to tolerate Beast shoes, the whole inside edge of the shoe is raised, not just the heel portion.
      i feel it at the back of my arch and the beginning of my heel. it rubs at the beginning of my heel.
      Goals: Run.
        i feel it at the back of my arch and the beginning of my heel. it rubs at the beginning of my heel.
        same here to the point that i got neutral shoes instead...and like them a lot better cause they dont rub anywhere.... Big grin Smile Tongue Big grin Chris - are you sure you need stability shoes (for pronating) or perhaps a better cushioned shoe would work??? thats what i did and it made a difference...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Chris - are you sure you need stability shoes (for pronating) or perhaps a better cushioned shoe would work??? thats what i did and it made a difference...
          That is what I am trying to figure out. I am trying to find a shoe that will give me some support but also allow my foot to move somewhat normally.
            That is what I am trying to figure out. I am trying to find a shoe that will give me some support but also allow my foot to move somewhat normally.
            I purchased a stability shoe because i was told I was a pronator. I bought NB1223. They have lost of cushion and support, and were really comfortable and I liked them a lot (except they rubbed a little like we mentioned above but only on my right side). I then tried a couple of other different stabiltiy shoes for pronators and they all seemed to feel and fit the same (rubbed my arch and heel on my right foot). I probably went to 5 or 6 running shoe stores and talked to various people (all to no real avail) - some said I was a pronator - some said I was NOT a pronator. So - I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Defyance shoes (more neutral) and they feel a lot bettr because they dont rub on my right arch/heel. Now this weekend I went to the NB Factory outlet and tried on (I kid you not) 10 different shoes. I settled on the NB1062 which is a neutral shoe, but has LOADS of cushion....and they really feel good. I ran 10 miles in them on Sunday and there was no rubbing and all was well..... Your experience sound similar to mine in that your arches are rubbing because (I am guessing) the stability shoes have more arch support then you require and therefore they are uncomfortable....... If you try a very cushioned neutral, you 'might' like them better.....(something along the lines of a Brooks Defyance or NB1062 and there are lots of others depending o what your favorite brand might be). ALSO - is there a running store around there that does gait testing to help you determine if you pronate or are neutral (some are good some are not - you can take their information with a grain of salt, but at least you can get some assistance and other opinions)???? I have a 'gut feeling' that you might not need as much support as you're getting in your current shoes... John

Too much stability will definitely not feel right in the back of my arch and heel. Unfortunately, many running store salespeople treat pronation as a disease rather than the natural function it is. If you read shoe guides online, they even recommend stability shoes to neutral runners. They only recommend neutrals to supinators. How dumb is that? Stability shoes definitely alter my biomechanics and force me to heel strike very hard. My feet slap the ground in them. When my shoes are right, my heel lands first but very lightly. I'm more of a mid-foot lander when my form is good. With stability shoes, I'm forced to land on the outside of my heel first due to the wedge heel and posting. Improving my form and running in less shoe seems to be working. I'm now in ASICS DS trainers which have some stability but I also liked running in the ASICS Landreths (neutrals) which I'm told are the 2130s without the medial post.

I'm now in ASICS DS trainers which have some stability but I also liked running in the ASICS Landreths (neutrals) which I'm told are the 2130s without the medial post.
                I tried the Asics 2130 and they felt just like my NB1223...so I will check out the Landreths (as a reference point).....

JOHNMAGGIO

You may want to try a custom insole from SOLE comfort Insoles. You heat them up in the oven and they mold to your feet in the heel and forefoot and some in the arch. I think its the closest that you may get to custom with out spending a fortune. We sell them but here is the link to the manufacturer. www.yoursole.com
                  www.nbannapolis.com