The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The issue has been treating religious groups differently from other groups, requiring with more stringent restrictions.

This.

The restrictions need to be defined agnostic [sic] of purpose.  Whether you have a secular choir meeting, or a beat poetry reading, or sitting Kaddish, the rules should be the same.  The nature of the words that come out of your mouth have nothing to do with the virus spreading -- it's the yelling, singing and strong vocalizing that cause problems.  Any regulations written otherwise, should rightfully be struck down.

Honestly, it's just lazy regulation writing to specify types of gatherings, except as possible examples.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

The issue has been treating religious groups differently from other groups, requiring with more stringent restrictions.

I think they are going to have to change their language to "recommendations" rather than "restrictions" after the recent Supreme Court ruling. Anyone participating in mass gatherings featuring singing, yelling, chanting, or close contact indoors for extended amounts of time appears selfish and uncaring about the health and safety of others.

All the rest of us can do is shelter in place and avoid any people who participate in such activities. Mainly religious or protest gatherings, which are allowed because of 1st amendment. Stores, theaters, parks, and other locations can legally be told to lock their doors and gates, but religious facilities and protests cannot. Not without a lawsuit happening.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

All the rest of us can do is shelter in place and avoid any people who participate in such activities. Mainly religious or protest gatherings, which are allowed because of 1st amendment. Stores, theaters, parks, and other locations can legally be told to lock their doors and gates, but religious facilities and protests cannot. Not without a lawsuit happening.

It sucks for those of us who live in the land of many churches. For the most part DH and I can avoid rubbing elbows with those who refuse to exercise common sense and compassion for others as they attend weekly services (I only go out in public for critical medical appts. and DH to the grocery store), but our kid's an essential retail worker and lives with us, so....

The irony is that churches are tax-exempt while contributing to a situation that is costing entire communities so severely.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dhuffman63

Trails

I am not a fan of "organized religion" and think it a shame churches get political yet remain tax free.  If they meddle in politics they should pay taxes like the rest of us.

Half Crazy K 2.0

In my area of Baltimore county, very few churches re-opened, even when they were allowed to. Some did drive up or outdoor servies when the weather was ok for it, but now the bulk are still doing on-line mass. It makes Sunday morning runs nicer not having to deal with that traffic--apparently when you are either going to pray or have prayed, it's acceptable to ignore runners while driving.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It makes Sunday morning runs nicer not having to deal with that traffic--apparently when you are either going to pray or have prayed, it's acceptable to ignore runners while driving.

I've been on a road bike when church has let out...utterly terrifying.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I am not a fan of "organized religion" and think it a shame churches get political yet remain tax free.  If they meddle in politics they should pay taxes like the rest of us.

yass!

It's especially insulting when organizations or individuals portray themselves as having a higher moral ground yet do immoral actions. Hypocrisy is distasteful, and should be added to the list of deadly sins. And of course the few MegaChurches rely on "tithing" to support their leader's lavish lifestyles, so THEY don't want to mothball their business, uh, religious operations.

Most religious gatherings are a great comfort to the people that participate, it's tougher on them than it is for people who really like live theater. The early, responsible adaptations to the conditions seemed fine, small gatherings, outdoor gatherings, Zoom, drive-in churches, etc. But I think the "pandemic fatigue" is setting in, and despite the highest rates of infection since it started, people are desensitized and just want to "go back to normal". Which of course is making things worse.

December and January are going to be rough for the hospitals. And even when vaccines become available, there's a significant portion of the population who won't take them because they've been manipulated by internet trolls and quacks to think vaccines are "toxic" or "implanting mind control devices" or some rubbish. In future history books, it will likely read that the waning days of the USA as the most powerful nation on earth was ushered in by deliberate opposition to science and education among the general population.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running Problem

Problem Child

The Maine CDC was flooded with a lot of reports about the event and word got out that the state police had been notified.  The group canceled the events.  It looks like they may try again - a post on their page today"

STORM THE GATES - MAINE MALL EVENT
                    Sunday 12/06 5:30 P.M.
                    Meet Outside The Food Court Parking Lot
                    This coming Sunday a group of us are going to meet in the parking lot of the Maine Mall in South Portland. We plan to breach their defenses by wearing masks to allow us to sneak past the guards!
                    Once in the, havoc begins. We "adjust" our masks, some will sing Chrismas songs (singing is banned btw), and others will just merrily bask in the festive spirit that Mainers cherish.
                    Who's coming?! Who's with us?! And who just needs to do a little Christmas shopping and wants to chuckle?! 😁😁😁
                    *This is not a fake event. lol

breach their defenses. Wow. "we're going across enemy lines just to get kicked out and blame it on Christmas songs." SOOOOOOOO Anarchist of them.

Even if State and Local government "forbids" mass religious or protest gatherings, they can have their pants sued off them for trying to enforce it. Thus sayeth the Supremacist Court. Governors and other public leaders are paper tigers when it comes to these situations. Don't get me wrong, people who WANT to gather in big groups right now are idiots, but they are allowed to be idiots by our inconvenient Constitution.

I think the only way the Constitution can legally be temporarily sidestepped is if martial law is declared. Wouldn't THAT get people all riled up with conspiracies! 

uhhh you sure about that? The Nevada Governor told religious groups they're stuck to 50 people while he opened the rest of the state, then fought it I think.

Nevada church continues fight to assemble during COVID-19 restrictions (rgj.com)

Some small town church was going AFTER the Governor for not letting them get together.

I guess I'm an idiot. I have a large family that doesn't live under the same roof and I'd like to have dinner with them since it's Sunday.

I was wanting Martial Law back in April and June when things wouldn't stop. It would have made COVID 19 go away MUCH faster. The downside is it would have been Donald Trump defeating COVID 19 while also being racist because of how he applied Martial Law. Thankfully Joe Biden is going to save us from COVID 19 within the first 100 days. No conspiracy. July 1, 2020 all government offices will open back up and no one will be working from home.

As for their tax exemptions....anyone seen the meme about the Church in Texas or something that closed it's doors during a flood? Sorry y'all aren't welcomed here. I've found grocery shopping between 7 and 9 am is MUCH nicer on Sunday when churches are allowed to be open. They're morning people. So am I. The difference is I go running (errands) instead of singing class with juice and crackers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've found grocery shopping between 7 and 9 am is MUCH nicer on Sunday when churches are allowed to be open. They're morning people. So am I. The difference is I go running (errands) instead of singing class with juice and crackers.

Going during the times when the local football team is playing is usually a good time. This doesn't work if you actually want to watch the game. This also doesn't work when the game keeps changing (thanks Ravens).

Oh, you have to get to the grocery store before the churches let out. After is not fun.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Going during the times when the local football team is playing is usually a good time. This doesn't work if you actually want to watch the game. This also doesn't work when the game keeps changing (thanks Ravens).

Oh, you have to get to the grocery store before the churches let out. After is not fun.

Sports ball is canceled on this side of the country. Due to covid 19 and NOT a pissing match between the team owner, city council, and covid 19/racism as the scape goat.  

costco before noon on Sunday. Thankfully running, brewing and being a morning person go well together.  Drinking.....eh not as much but I handled it. Of course....if the show starts at 11a, I’d go just to watch and give them a larger audience.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Yooper3.1

It sucks for those of us who live in the land of many churches. For the most part DH and I can avoid rubbing elbows with those who refuse to exercise common sense and compassion for others as they attend weekly services (I only go out in public for critical medical appts. and DH to the grocery store), but our kid's an essential retail worker and lives with us, so....

The irony is that churches are tax-exempt while contributing to a situation that is costing entire communities so severely.

I think that's an unfair generalization. I can tell you that my family has been to Mass every week since May at various parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit. In each case, all of the congregants wore masks and other precautions were taken to nearly eliminate the risk of transmission.  Six months later and no member of my family has contracted COVID.

Deciding to take any action during the COVID experience has required balancing the importance of the action and the associated risk of transmission.  Deciding to go to Mass (high importance, low risk) is easy.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

I’ll have to admit that I found the Paula White-Cain clip on that link slightly erotic. 🥵

Good news for frontline workers and the elderly in the UK as Pfizer has been approved.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/12/02/uk-approves-new-covid-19-jab-with-rollout-starting-next-week/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good news for frontline workers and the elderly in the UK as Pfizer has been approved.

Nah it's actually bad news, because we just don't know if this vaccine is effective based on the numbers. It's just an attention grab by the companies, and I guess the British government too . A real shame.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rlopez

Nah it's actually bad news, because we just don't know if this vaccine is effective based on the numbers. It's just an attention grab by the companies, and I guess the British government too . A real shame.

Dude.