Help! Tight hamstrings and calves... (Read 2026 times)

Everyone, I hope someone can offer some suggestions or advice. I don`t post here often, I did before Cool Running went away, but I do read alot on these boards. I am a veteran runner of many years. I log about 20-30 miles per week, 3-4 day a week runner. In the winter I may up it to around 30, but usually no more. This is just do to time constraints and work schedule. It has served me well and met my needs. 5-K times are around 20:30-21:10 on an average, and 10-K pace around 42:00. I`m happy with that. My question is this, the last month or so, I have been plagued with SUPER tight hamstrings and calves. I stretch after every run, as I always have. I mix running on grass and roads, and I don`t add huge amounts of mileage at once. I have done nothing new that I can remember to cause this. I do minimal speedwork for my mileage base, but only in the winter months. That is because I don`t race in the summer. I just try to keep my fitness. My company switched from a 5 day work week to a 4 day, 10 hours per day schedule. The only change that I have made is running at night vs 5:00 a.m. Guy`s I`m serious. This is chronic. I have had "dead legs" before and this is how it feels. But in the past this has came only after too much mileage, hillwork, speedwork, things like that. I cannot find an answer. Right now they hurt so bad, I can barely stand to have them massaged. I am taking a week off, buying new shoes, and starting back easy. I need to get back in shape for all the fall and winter events that I like to do. If anyone has had or has a similar situation and can offer any advice, I`m all ears. Thanks to any and all replies.
    "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
      Has your diet changed at all?
      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
        No changes worthy of mentioning..... I`m eating the same way I have for last few years. BTW, I`m also certain that I`m well hydrated. This is what is so frustrating.

Did the problems arise at the same time as the transition from am to pm runs? If so, your body might need that stretching out that it was getting from the morning runs.
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
            Good point. It certainly may be, because that is indeed when most of this started. That change in work schedule really took a toll on my workouts, especially with the July and August heat. At least when falls gets here, I can go right at 5:00 from work, instead of waiting until 8:30 or 9:00 when things cool off and your so tired it makes it almost a burden. Definatley something to consider. I might benefit from just a few easy stretches before I head off to work. I appreciate your thoughts.

#artbydmcbride

Have you tried soaking them in cold water right after a long run? Lying on the floor with your legs up against the wall every now and then is good too.

Runners run

Member Since 2008

Try walking for ten minutes prior to your run and another ten minutes after your run. I suffered constantly from sore muscles and started walking for warmup and cool down, also do very little stretching now. It has been a world of difference. Just something to try.
                  I appreciate everyone`s input. I started back today after a complete week off. I ran in a brand new pair of shoes, and I tell you, it was hard to keep it an easy run. That is a good thing. I have another sports massage scheduled for next week. Hopefully this will sort itself out. I will make the next few runs short and easy and ease back into my routine.
                    Good News for you! I have had chronic tight calves, and achy hammies ever since I got to the midway point in my HM training, and my mileage went to 20+ miles a week. What ended up being the magic for me was longer warm up, sports deep tissue massage, and I needed more stability in my shoes. It seems my arches were flattening out too much and as the mileage of the runs got longer, the more nasty fatigue it was causing my lower legs. Since going into more stability, my legs are getting better. They are far from perfect, but overall much better than they had been. I started doing Yoga also, which has made a difference in overall relaxation and flexibility.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I have had chronic tight calves, and achy hammies ever since I got to the midway point in my HM training, and my mileage went to 20+ miles a week. .
                      Interesting because I have been at the 20+ mileage for a while now and the same thing has been happening to me recently...Calfs that tighten up like drums and sometimes my feet get numb at about the 3 mile mark......this past Tuesday I ran 4 miles and had to stop 4 or 5 times to walk off and stretch out my calves....... The 20 + MPW seems to be a level that really has an impact on running.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Misinformation Officer

...add to all of that--before and after run foam roller sessions--slow, painful, and worth every bit.
                          On the surface, you could say that a nice gentle warm up and then some stretching before the run would be of help, and the as always some nice gentle stretching afterwards also, but its never that simple and may take some time off which again may not help either. So if your not in agony, then you need to continue to run and hopefully it will work out. You can fill up your bathtub with cold water and add in a few trays of ice cubes and then soak in it, its actually not that bad once you get in it, take a book along the way and try for 15 minutes. You might also try some apple cider vinegar in your diet, they sell it in pills and its cheap and you just take a few with you meals or coffee. I bought a cheap Homemedics massager and use it on shoulders and yet I find I can use it on my calves and hamstrings also and I can use it while reading a book. Also you may want to look up isometric stretching, I sit in a chair and its very hard on lower back, I take a towel with me to work and work my upper and lower back a few times a day and its helping out and its easy on my breaks.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I found affects me is the amount of time I spend sitting at work. Perhaps, it is the increase in the amount of time you are spending at work. I now take a couple of walking and stretching breaks at work when I am hitting around 30 miles a week. Yes, I look like a geek but it beats the heck out of feeling horrible. Good luck.
                            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Prince of Fatness

You may want to consider doing some strides every so often on your easy days. Just make sure you are good and warmed up before you do them. There was a good thread on this. Strides

Not at it at all. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Everyone, , I have been plagued with SUPER tight....... calves. Thanks to any and all replies.
                                Thanks Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/