On breathing. (Read 1151 times)

Perionychium

It seems like the mechanics of breathing should be relatively straight-forward. But, as a new runner I am finding that breathing to be the most difficult hurdle I am facing. I read a lot of conflicting articles about this from a whole host of sources and I must say, I am utterly confused. So, I'm wondering, how do you breathe when your run? And, more specifically, how do you breathe to make your running more efficient? I apologize in advance for this question. Especially if the answer is as simple as, "breathe through your nose and out through your mouth."
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If you can get your mind on something else, your body will just breathe naturally. The specifics of breathing really vary from person to person. Most people breathe through their mouths, but some do not. Some people fall into various rhythms where X breaths match up with Y steps. Most daily running should be done at an easy conversational pace anyway, where breathing isn't a big deal. If you're trying to improve aerobic fitness, you get limited benefit from going faster.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        I agree with Ed4. The breathing should come natural and be comfortable FOR YOU. (Don't listen to what books/people tell you to do!) That being said, I mouth-breathe. It's loud and weird to non-runners, but you don't get snot on yourself. On longer runs, especially outdoors with increased heat and humidity, you might find that after a while it's hard to keep regular breathing. This is when I use the "in through the nose, out through the mouth" trick; just doing that a few times regulates your breathing back to "normal". Smile
        "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
          When I'm running easy or medium I breathe in for 3 steps and out for 2. When I'm running hard I move to in for 2 steps and out for 2. I breathe in and out through my mouth as I can't seem to get enough air in through my nose. I agree though that it has to be right for you. People do very different things when it comes to breathing.

Marathonmanleto

Don't think-do. Relax and let your body do what comes naturally.
              So, I'm wondering, how do you breathe when your run? And, more specifically, how do you breathe to make your running more efficient?
              I'm a mouth breather.(deviated septum/sinusitus) I've developed a pattern of breathing that works well for me on most runs by taking "two breaths in and one longer breath out" ( hee - hee - whoooo) , except for all out efforts where it's get all you can get. But one suggestion is to pay attention to not breathing to "shallow". This can cause "stitches in your side".

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Perionychium

If you can get your mind on something else, your body will just breathe naturally. The specifics of breathing really vary from person to person. Most people breathe through their mouths, but some do not. Some people fall into various rhythms where X breaths match up with Y steps. Most daily running should be done at an easy conversational pace anyway, where breathing isn't a big deal. If you're trying to improve aerobic fitness, you get limited benefit from going faster.
                Hmm, well, I've heard of this study (this is by no means as I am supplying as an actual fact since I discovered it from a third-party) in which a track team was divided into two groups. The first group was instructed to breathe through their nose and the second group remained the control. What was discovered was that even though the first groups pace was SIGNIFICANTLY reduced at first, their endurance grew and their pace grew faster. I was also reading online about some fella who said that runners don't fully utilize their entire lung capacities--which I think is a silly thought. I mean, if you look at the basic mechanics of breathing, you have a higher CO2 build up. Breathing through your mouth will help release this faster, but I feel like this is also a state of hyperventilation so I wonder how effective it is in the long run. But, keep in mind, I have no idea what I am talking about.
                  I've developed a pattern of breathing that works well for me on most runs by taking "two breaths in and one longer breath out" ( hee - hee - whoooo)
                  Labor breathing - how many kids do you have? Big grin I actually do this when I am transitioning/anaerobic, but not all out, otherwise, generally nose breathe, but don't really think too much about it, as long as the air gets in there comfortably!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Labor breathing - how many kids do you have? Big grin I actually do this when I am transitioning/anaerobic, but not all out, otherwise, generally nose breathe, but don't really think too much about it, as long as the air gets in there comfortably!
                    LMAO! Big grin Silly me.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Like others have said, I don't think there is a single right answer, breathing is kind of individual. I like to just find a steady rhythm and stick to it. Breath in for a number of footfalls, and then breath out for some other number of footfalls. The numbers vary for the individual, and the pace you are running at. I find if I get to a pace and find a comfortable breathing rhythm, particularly in a race, then if I start to falter/tire, I can concentrate on the breathing to keep myself more steady. I don't know if that helps at all, but that's all I've got. :P
                        I usually just alternate inhaling with exhaling. I seem to be able to do this without thinking about it--often even sleeping while breathing.

Runners run

I usually just alternate inhaling with exhaling. I seem to be able to do this without thinking about it--often even sleeping while breathing.
                          Impressive! Maybe Jay Leno would be interested in this "ability" Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Impressive! Maybe Jay Leno would be interested in this "ability" Wink
                            Ha HA!

Ricky

I like to add that good posture is also very improtant too for breathing. If you keep your head up, shoulder square, and chest open you can have your lungs filt in full capacity. It helps me greatly.

Now that was a bath...

Well i've been playing this running game for six months now and I find breathing is only an issue if you think about it. My natural breathing pattern whilst running is odd though. I take two breaths in then one long one out. Maybe that's because my 'in' breath is broken by the second landing of my foot. I don't know. I really do find that breathing is easiest when you ignore it. I am also claustrophobic and if I think about my breathing, sometimes I feel like I can't get enough air! MP3 players are great for helping you to ignore your breathing as you don't have to listen to it so loudly! Claire xxx
                              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.