U.S. Olympic Trials (Read 1540 times)

Feeling the growl again

Looks like USATF has let Webb in the 5000 with a 13:49, bypassing a dozen or so provisional qualifiers who ran in the 13:30s.

Nike speaks USATF listens I guess

I know there are ways to justify this, but I don't like it.  It's not like he was in great form, got injured, and has been trying to come back.  It's been several years since he ran well.  I'd rather take the chance that one of the 13:30 guys who earned it by the rules will run well than Webb.  If there's one thing you can count on Webb for, it's inconsistency.  Does anyone really think Webb is going to suddenly return to top form when he hasn't been able to in several seasons...

Why bother with the trials, let's just name guys to the team in a soke-filled room like the Kenyans.  After all, everyone respects the fairness of their process....Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've read that about the Kenyan trials as well -- and they didn't even run a marathon trials, they just picked people.

But, OTOH, this video purports to show results for some of their shorter distances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQkHLYPdQks

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

I've read that about the Kenyan trials as well -- and they didn't even run a marathon trials, they just picked people.

But, OTOH, this video purports to show results for some of their shorter distances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQkHLYPdQks

I was referring to the marathon, which got all the press a few weeks back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So does anyone know if there is a procedure for who they take and register for the relays?

I think it can't be as simple as "top 5 in the open", because sometimes they use 400 hurdlers in the 4x400.

I also don't know how many they take, but I've seen substitutions, so I deduce they can register more than 4 -- I assume they have to register everyone they might use upfront.

Maybe they are entirely chosen by (US Olympic team) coaches, with no formal procedure -- maybe they take into consideration recent performances elsewhere.  That is to say, I have no idea....

Why is it sideways?

Here's a letsrun thread about Webb's petition being granted and Fam's denied. Fam participates in the thread pretty articulately.

Re: the thread Jeff linked, I can see the objective arguments for granting an athlete entry if he didn't have the A time and was too far down the provisional list.  I'm not a fan of it, but I can see the merits of letting someone petition in who'd otherwise be a spectator.  In those two particular cases, though, I can't see the arguments that let Webb in but kept Famiglietti out.  I'd have let both in or denied both.  And that's overlooking the irregularities about the handling (timing, acceptance, notification) of the two petitions.

It pains me that our country's Olympic trials can have aspects conducted with such apparent caprice.  No one sees the petitions, no one sees the decisions, no explanations are given, no appeals from the decisions, ...

(Full disclosure: I'm fans of both Webb and Famiglietti.  I've met Fam.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

11.068 seconds each.  I read that it will be settled by either a run-off or coin toss, but it hasn't been decided yet.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The commentator said there are only three high jumpers with the Olympic A standard, and these guys don't even need to compete--they're going. That sounds odd.

MTA: Later they amended their comments, to say 'unless Nick Ross makes the A standard tonight'.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Best part of TV coverage - they cut away from the 5000 heat (with Lagat & Lomong), b/c they want to show Carmelita Jeter trying on her team jacket, and then show what watch they give out to the people who make the team. Instead of boring us by showing the 5000 heat going on...

Why is it sideways?

I thought the coverage was pretty damn good. Nashville native Bumbalough winning his heat was nice, not playing second fiddle to Rupp. I am so fired up for the 5k finals.

A couple of things that struck me tonight:

First, I'm glad Webb got his ass kicked.  That's right, I am.  Leave the "stars get special treatment" to the NBA.

Second, Paris Hilton?  Seriously!?  I almost lost all respect for him.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Why is it sideways?

A couple of things that struck me tonight:

First, I'm glad Webb got his ass kicked.  That's right, I am.  Leave the "stars get special treatment" to the NBA.

Agreed on both counts. I used to really root for Symmonds since he was a DIII guy. Now, not so much.

Webb was an embarrassment. The cool thing is that we are so deep now in 1500/5k/10k we don't need a guy like Webb.

Charles Jock learned a pretty good lesson today.

Feeling the growl again

First - +1.  It just makes USATF's decision to let him in look dumber.  It seems this is the consistent result when they pull favors for people.

Second - "Almost"?  Wink

Somehow I managed to catch the other heats but not this one.  Heh.  I totally spaced that he was running and I needed to seek it out.  I'm assuming it was the last heat?  (after I went to bed)  I need more sleep I guess.

He was in the first heat and you could barely see him and he was rarely mentioned.  He was a non-event.  I was sad about it.  I really wanted him to do well.  I keep waiting for the big comeback.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I thought the coverage was pretty good except for the watch display in the middle of the 5K.   The swimming coverage was good, too, but that's easier to do.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth