Quick Survey: pre-marathon meal. Go! (Read 907 times)

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

The King of Beasts

2 poptarts about 2 hours before - lots of coffee usually some water too

1 gel 45 minutes prior and another gel 15 min prior

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Top 'O the World!

I've not tried the pop tarts....yet

Always coffee & water + small bites of whatever will sit and/or is available....I have a hard time eating anything right out of bed on any given day. Race day is worse. Still searching for the perfect combo & whatever it is, I usually need two hrs out or a really slow start.    

Most often the choices are:  protein/fruit smoothie; small amt of greek yogurt w/granola; 1/2 banana; boiled egg; small oatmeal w/raisins & walnuts; 1/2 bagel w/nut butter

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Seanv2

A bagel about two hours before with coffee and lot of water. 

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Three hours prior: bacon, egg scrambled with sauteed onions and mushrooms, topped with fresh salsa and sour cream, and some avocado on the side.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Seanv2

Three hours prior: bacon, egg scrambled with sauteed onions and mushrooms, topped with fresh salsa and sour cream, and some avocado on the side.

This sounds delicious, and way too much work for that early in the morning.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

This sounds delicious, and way too much work for that early in the morning.

It IS delicious. And what I make most every morning. Just not usually at 4am.

On the road for a race (which I usually am), it's hard-boiled eggs and cold sausage + whatever produce I can scrounge from a local store if I'm not in a position to have packed my own.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Toast with peanut butter. 

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think that the pop tart idea originated with Trent.    I tried it once and was sold.  Easily digested.....tops off the glycogen.....no fuss....no muss. 

Amen brother.

But it only works if you have a beer postrace. Preferably within 2 minutes.

lilcat19

I typically try to have a banana about 30-40 minutes pre-race if I can. 

I try to take in gatorade at each hydration station and eat sports beans throughout the race to keep the blood sugar up. 

Feeling the growl again

Oatmeal or poptarts.  3ish hours prior.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

juniordo1

2 easy questions. 

1- what do you eat before your marathon, and

2- how long before the race do you consume it?

Thanks!

mark

1 - Two pieces whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas, 16 ounces water, 8 ounces coffee

2 - Three hours before race

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

achillesniggle

After many attempts I have finally found something which works for me for marathons and ultras. If I get it wrong and dont eat enough  I can guarantee I will throw up when I eat my first post race food, if I get it right I can eat what I like when I finish.

1. for breakfast I will have Oatmeal Porridge, coffee, carb sports drink. (for first breakfast I will have sausage, egg bacon etc if available)

2.  I have two breakfasts - first one about 4-5 hours before race, second one 1.5-2.5 hours before.

foooster

pasta on friday

deserts on sat

tea morning of race

deserts on sat

I don't know, man. Sounds kinda dry.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes