RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

I look my best blurry!

Has anyone seen "The Road"? I think it opened a week or two ago, but doesn't seem to be showing anywhere near here.

No, but if you do, let me know.  I think it might be the first movie I like better than the book.  The book was completely dreary.   I wouldn't want to ever run down that "Road".  Cannibals, yuck.

Trent-Lol!

My kids are getting older and I get to leave them home.  Hooray!  This year I loved "The Hangover", hysterically funny and "Julie and Julia", loved Meryl Streep, but not in Mama Mia.  Took the 11 year old to see "Up".  It made me laugh and cry. 

Can't go to movies without popcorn.  One of the delicious reasons why I run.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox and we all loved it.

Really.  Something about the stop motion in the previews looks really creepy.  Really creepy.  Almost as creepy as the animation in The Polar Express.  Eek.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thumbs up to thumbs down: Avatar

?

DH loved loved loved Fantastic Mr. Fox...says one of the best movies of the year.

He said Avatar was OK.  It is what it is...says the action is great...story is predictable at times--contrived even...but that the characters are pretty believable. 

"OK" is almost the best you can get out of DH...so Fantastic Mr. Fox must be really good.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He said Avatar was OK.  It is what it is...says the action is great...story is predictable at times--contrived even...but that the characters are pretty believable.

Hubby said he saw one reviewer describe Avatar as an animated Dances w/Wolves.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hubby said he saw one reviewer describe Avatar as an animated Dances w/Wolves.

It is 100% Dances with Wolves.   I think South Park did a spoof on it a few weeks back even. 

DH said even with all the negatives it is worth seeing though. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just saw it with the kids.  Much cooler than Dances with Wolves, but I get that.  Initially I had no interest in Avatar.  Glad I went.

Are we there yet?

Saw Avatar with 0 expectations and it definitely entertained.. well done James Cameron..

great story and unbelievable effects but the storyline was the most appealing.

xor

I think I want to see Avatar, but I have a question.  Can someone 'splain the following to me w/o giving away anything of super-importance to the plot...

When I see ads for Avatar on TV, I'm mightily struck by how some of the scenes look like people in mega effects (meaning: it is supposed to look realistic within the framework of its sci-fi universe), while other scenes look over-the-top CGI cartoony (meaning: it looks fake on purpose).  The name "Avatar" implies some sense of virtual reality to me, so is some of the movie supposed to look super-cartoony? 

Again, I don't want any beans spilled if possible, but this is the one thing that really bugs me about the ads.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The term avatar is correctly used in the movie, but does not imply that the alien world is fake. I will give away nothing else, even though many out there do know how this works premovie.

xor

So the movie isn't supposed to look super-cartoony like the commercials look?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The super-cartoony is the "real" alien world. (suspend your disbelief, sir)
                          xor

The super-cartoony is the "real" alien world. (suspend your disbelief, sir)

Well, it's not really a matter of suspending disbelief... but we've all seen movies where the CGI is kind of distracting and fake in a way that detracts from the movie, whereas others use a cartoon-y style that is a slick artistic choice that works ok.  (Speed Racer was actually an example of both, but ultimately it just sucked).

Movie advertising is hard because they shouldn't give away TOO much in the trailer... which, as we all know, many do... but they have to put enough of a hook in there to generate interest in movies that otherwise might not get it.  Avatar doesn't have that problem, but for me, the only things that make it interesting to me so far are a) the buzz that seems to indicate that I'm supposed to be interested and b) the presence of battlemech looking creations.

I didn't go see Slumdog in the theater even though everyone said that it was a great movie because I couldn't make heads or tails out of the ad.  As it turns out, people were right.  Then again, people kept telling me I had to see Little Miss Sunshine because it was the greatest movie since Star Wars and people were wrong and weird.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think the cartoon feel is an artistic choice.  I could explain why I think so, but it would give away points about the movie.  Maybe it is adequate to say that the cartooniness is used to present a contrast, without implying that the cartoon is any less real than a non-cartoon look (nor should the name Avatar do this).

Some interesting comments in line with this and made during the movie seem to suggest that there will be more movies in this universe.