Calf work while running (Read 72 times)

Jvictory15

I’ve run off and on for years. My calf’s have always been “weird” IMO, both looks and function. Looks wise they are very long, they take up about 2/3 of my lower leg. Not much I can do about that so I’m not concerned with aesthetics but with function. So while I’m running it feels like I’m working just inches above my Achilles. Is there anything I can do with my stride? Should I simply focus on using more of my calf muscle while pushing off?

Luciplay

This is an interesting thought. I wonder how would the experts respond to this.

FlexyFly

Link spam
        andre_runs

So while I’m running it feels like I’m working just inches above my Achilles. 

Jvictory15,

I can't grasp what that means. Is this pain or discomfort you are taking about just inches above your achilles?

Also doubt there is any alteration to your stride that would focus more on your calf. Maybe inserts would alleviate some work by your achillies, but dont know if that is your problem.

I have had back of the leg (achilles and soleus) issues in my running career over many years. PT I have used always said the goal is to get the achilles and calf muscles,, long and strong. And you accomplish this with strengthening stretches to those areas.

What is the problem you are trying to solve? I'm thinking that while you might have longer than usual calfs,, that is an interesting fact, but probably not relevant in how you condition your achilles and calf to support your running.

Just Run.

300m- 37 sec.

Andrew929

Calf muscles play a huge role in running and these muscles shift your body weight on your toes which helps in running. It is important to wear https://www.resumesplanet.com/ safety pads during running because they help in walking and it prevents any injury in case of fall down.