Sugar and Processed Foods (Read 393 times)

SillyC

Uh, no.

And by the way, this RARE illness is caused by ANY method of cooking when the beans are undercooked. Not just crockpot. Per my comments, crockpots are more likely fully and correctly to cook dried beans (which is why gas is reduced) than other methods.

If the crockpot doesn't get hot enough, it doesn't destroy the phytohaemagglutinin.   It's kidney beans, fava beans, and broad beans that cause the poisonings.   You have to boil them for 10 minutes before putting them in the slow cooker.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, to cook the beans, the crockpot in fact DOES get hot enough. Did you actually read the link? Looks like the last known cases were described in 1988 in the UK, and it has never been a recognized cause of illness in the US except by anecdote. AND if you are so unlucky as to get sick, it resolves after a few hours without any need for medical attention.

"The diet you describe has literally nothing in common with the fad diet known as "Paleo," which is actually probably for the best.  Cheese, potatoes, bread, milk, processed mayo, oatmeal, and sugar are streng verboten on that plan.  Your diet isn't even particularly low in sugar.  But if it works, great!"

As I said, it is a paleo-ish. 

There are no potatoes, except for 1 potato roll per day.  That roll is all the bread too.  I'm not sure that oatmeal is strictly forbidden (as in, I'm not sure), because I thought I read oats could be eaten, but no wheat.  You can see the oats in the cookies I eat.

Not low in sugar?  It is very low in sugar compared to what I used to eat.  No soda, no ice cream, no candy, no Nestle's Quick in my milk, no Kellogg's frosted flakes.  Those changes alone probably lowered the diet by 1 pound of sugar per day.

My milk intake went down from 3 glasses a day to 1.  My cheese intake went down from about 10 slices a day to 1.  My potato intake went down from about 2 potatoes a day to whatever little is in the roll of my choice (no more french fries, no more potato chips, no more baked potatoes, no more mashed potatoes, no more potato soup).

My diet is influenced by the paleo diet.  It is paleo-ish!  Smile

King of PhotoShop

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to Trent for this link, which I really enjoyed.  posted it on FB and several of my friends commented today on their own efforts.  I am 67, have heart disease (triple bypass and artificial aortic valve) as well as cancer.  Just trying to do something better with my diet.

Right now I'm doing Mark Bittman's "VB6" diet, which is superb.  A curious thing I've learned with this is that although you are vegan for breakfast and lunch and can eat meat at dinner, you tend to eat less meat at dinner, I imagine because you just get caught up in it.  Sunday night it was a chicken drumstick and last night 4 oz piece of salmon. That's far less than I normally would eat. Thanks again, and also for this thread.  Spareribs

Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to Trent for this link, which I really enjoyed.  posted it on FB and several of my friends commented today on their own efforts.  I am 67, have heart disease (triple bypass and artificial aortic valve) as well as cancer.  Just trying to do something better with my diet.

Right now I'm doing Mark Bittman's "VB6" diet, which is superb.  A curious thing I've learned with this is that although you are vegan for breakfast and lunch and can eat meat at dinner, you tend to eat less meat at dinner, I imagine because you just get caught up in it.  Sunday night it was a chicken drumstick and last night 4 oz piece of salmon. That's far less than I normally would eat. Thanks again, and also for this thread.  Spareribs

POLLAN's books are very informative and eye-opening as well.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoyed the NYT article and the related book Pollan put out, The Omnivore's Dilemma. I have listened to Bittman speak about his program, and it is interesting to me, although it seems a bit backwards. To me, I would think you'd want the heavier, meatier meal for breakfast, say before 10am, than after 6pm.

King of PhotoShop

Trent, I think what Bittman is trying to say is that veganism or vegetarianism is difficult for many to do, and that while your pre-10 a.m. point is well taken, the desire to eat a meat dish is greatest at dinner, rather than say at breakfast or lunch. Put another way, breakfast is probably the easiest to go meatless and then harder at lunch and very difficult at dinner, for those who are carnivores.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is typical breakfast and lunch for me, with my only concern right now being protein, as I am a 30-40 mile a week runner:

Breakfast:  1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal with 3/4 cup of apple juice, microwaved, then added 1/4 cup each of blueberries and raisins, then an orange.  Total protein by my count:  14 grams.

Lunch:  A PBJ sandwich on whole wheat bread with sliced banana. Total protein by my count:  16 grams.

Note to other Catholics:  Tonight the family gets hosed as I'm making tuna noodle casserole for dinner. I have no idea where to begin counting that one up.  We'll have asparagus and tossed salad with it.  Spareribs

sugnim

The WHO released a recommendation today that people get only 5 percent of their calories from sugar including honey, maple, and fruit juice, but not including whole fruit.  Here's an article regarding that:  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/5/who-only-5-of-calories-should-be-from-sugar/?page=1

I'm on week 2 of "no" sugar, and it's working well.  I've started making my own yogurt, which is surprisingly easy and also way tastier & cheaper than the crap at the store.  I have had a small handful of dark chocolate chips, but other than that I have not had any foods with added sugars, and everything I've eaten has been homemade.  Because I cook all of our meals at home, this has been a pretty easy switch for me, just meaning that I just had to cut out sweets and processed snack food like granola bars.

Slow and Steady

I'm on week 2 of "no" sugar, and it's working well.  I've started making my own yogurt, which is surprisingly easy and also way tastier & cheaper than the crap at the store.  I have had a small handful of dark chocolate chips, but other than that I have not had any foods with added sugars, and everything I've eaten has been homemade.  Because I cook all of our meals at home, this has been a pretty easy switch for me, just meaning that I just had to cut out sweets and processed snack food like granola bars.

Great job! Yeah my wife makes homemade yogurt too. It's awesome. I also keep trail mix on hand for those snacky moments when I have typically gone for chips or cookies. Nuts are kind of expensive but considering what I'm NOT buying anymore, it's really not adding much to our grocery bill.

I love the Hippocrates quote: "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Robert Lustig from UCSF explains what sugar does to your body, even if you are at a healthy weight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

That video has changed my drinking habit completely. I didn't know overdosed fructose is almost as bad as drinking too much alcohol. I used to drink a lot of apple and orange juice. I thought 100% fruit juice is healthy. Now I don't drink any juice much, especially not drinking those juices with a high protein meal (terrible advanced glycation end products, (AGEs)).

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)