Why You Hate Cyclists (Read 1098 times)

xhristopher

Partly because of jerks like me. But it’s mostly your own illogical mind.

Read on...  (from Slate magazine)

MTA: Photo of asshole cyclist

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just read this today...it was a good read.  Kind of reminds me of the reasoning that anyone makes use of when they pick a particular "different" group to hate/judge.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

You've gotta love a writer that uses "affect heuristics" and "assholishness" in the same article...

Also, I fully acknowledge that I hate cyclists (and I am one!)... but not to the point that I want to see one under a Yukon.  I mainly dislike the fact that bad behavior is what motorists notice and then generalize other cyclists in the same class. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Then there's this guy

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Then there's this guy

I give the riders a lot of credit for lot losing their patience and forcing a confrontation. What a nut job.

And, heh:

The driver who hassled two road cyclists in Colorado this week by following them and honking his horn obsessively for three minutes has been charged with four misdemeanors by the Colorado State Patrol. Seventy-five year old James Ernst, 75, of Erie, Colorado, was cited for improper use of his horn, two counts of harassment, and — this is the most delightfully schadenfreudenistic part — impeding traffic.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I gotta say, the dude biking without a helmet at a very leisurely speed in the center of the left of two lanes along a 50 MPH state highway yesterday probably was not doing cyclists reputation as a whole any favor.

xhristopher

I gotta say, the dude biking without a helmet at a very leisurely speed in the center of the left of two lanes along a 50 MPH state highway yesterday probably was not doing cyclists reputation as a whole any favor.

Since most cyclists are also drivers these folks multiply their frustration.

Ria_runner

I just wish cyclists would warn me when they pass me, instead of scaring the hell out of me.

Feeling the growl again

I give the riders a lot of credit for lot losing their patience and forcing a confrontation. What a nut job. 

Yes, this local incident is what happens when 2 idiots meet.  The driver in the linked article talks like he is an innocent victim here, yet he initiated the incident by deliberately braking in front of the cyclist for no reason.  IMHO he should have been charged with wreckless driving as well for deliberately endangering the cyclist.

Idiots will show their true colors no matter what kind of vehicle they are driving....car, bike, semi....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

nevermind. 

#artbydmcbride

I do like the brightly colored spandex that emphasizes their quad muscles.  Cool

Runners run

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of a biking accident that my friend was involved in. He's grateful to be alive, and fortunate to have had only minor injuries after being run over by a PT cruiser. He had an exposed femur, tread marks, road rash, bruising, punctures on leg, etc. I'd post the link to his blog and his story, but I haven't asked permission from him. He holds no ill will to the driver that nearly killed him while making a left turn into him, and continues to ride today. As a rider and a driver, stories like these are reminders of defensive riding and defensive driving.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do like the brightly colored spandex that emphasizes their quad muscles.  Cool

Quads...yes.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of a biking accident that my friend was involved in. He's grateful to be alive, and fortunate to have had only minor injuries after being run over by a PT cruiser. He had an exposed femur, tread marks, road rash, bruising, punctures on leg, etc. I'd post the link to his blog and his story, but I haven't asked permission from him. He holds no ill will to the driver that nearly killed him while making a left turn into him, and continues to ride today. As a rider and a driver, stories like these are reminders of defensive riding and defensive driving.

I think I remember you posting about that when it happened.  Unfortunately that left-hand turn thing happens with horrifying frequency.  Everyone in the cycling community says it's not an if, but when thing when it comes to a literal run-in with a car.  In almost 11k miles I haven't really even had any close calls, but I also live in BFE, which certainly helps.  Not sure I'd still be unscathed if I lived somewhere with more population density.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Quads...yes.

Aren't you generous. Not only did you serve Ilene quads. You served her kielbasa!