Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm sorry you and Oski are having issues again. Stupid f-ing hips.

I am running consistently right now. I am on track to complete around 1400 miles this year. I have done two half marathons with 3 more planned, but I haven't been running them crazy fast and have no plans to. I finished the two around the two hour mark and am perfectly fine with that. I have been doing a lot of core/pilates stuff and it's helped immensely. I am also forcing myself to stretch more. Like MrFinn, I think the labrum and FAI were a byproduct of poor mechanics/alignment, lots of sitting, and a little dose of genetics added in (sister had the same surgery after me, mom had bilateral replacements in her 30s before they knew what all this was). I just want to run for as long as possible. My hip flexor still gives me a little crap, but the core work has helped some. Mostly I think it's weak and there is some tendinosis. It doesn't bother me when I run and it's no worse after running so whatever.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So how good are you guys about keeping up with your glute strengthening stuff?  Do you do it religiously, or just sporadically?

I've been starting to feel a little better lately after hitting some strengthening and stretching stuff really hard.  I'm wondering if all those bike miles I was riding sort of fucked things up.  Biking is so quad intensive.  Maybe that stopped my glutes from activating and the rest of my body in the groin area tried to pick up the slack?  Maybe I completely irritated my hip flexor and adductor and all those muscles and tendons around the groin.  I don't know.  This is just a guess at this point.  I'm hoping that if I continue to be super diligent, I can get things to return back to my old normal.  Even running 10 miles per week would be unbelievable to me at this point, but I'll settle for pain free hiking again.  I'll update in a couple of months.  Fingers crossed.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I usually get a couple of core sessions in a week. I should probably do more but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

What I should be doing more of is massage. I find that using a lacrosse ball on my glutes really helps but for whatever reason I don’t do it very often.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You do core work or glute work or do you consider them the same?  Because my core is the strongest it's ever been from climbing and planks, but that hasn't seemed to help my hip issues at all.

I'm trying my best to foam roll my adductors, but it's difficult to get in there.  I find myself moving very comically around on the floor on the roller.

Running is dumb.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have been pretty diligent about doing core and glute work several times a week. I also have been better about stretching and have been getting relatively regular massages (every six weeks or so).

Prince of Fatness

You do core work or glute work or do you consider them the same?  Because my core is the strongest it's ever been from climbing and planks, but that hasn't seemed to help my hip issues at all.

I'm trying my best to foam roll my adductors, but it's difficult to get in there.  I find myself moving very comically around on the floor on the roller.

I do stuff for glutes as part of my core work.

For massage, my experience is a lacrosse ball works best for hips and glutes. I would give that a try.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

Core work is so confusing to people. It really is any muscle that helps you balance and stabilize when standing, walking, running etc. There are many. Many feel that sit ups, crunches are good core exercises....not so much. My take is you attack the "core" by doing many exercises while on your feet. Squats,  lunges, one leg work, side band work, wood chops etc. I even do a lot of my upper body work standing. You run and walk on your feet so standing resistance training should make up a big chunk of your strength work.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

buysomapillsonli

Spam

Hi everyone,

I've read through a decent portion of this thread. I'm having labrum surgery in December. Wish me luck.

noraandy

spam setup
                      noraandy

Link spam, please stop.
                        stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Hi everyone,

I've read through a decent portion of this thread. I'm having labrum surgery in December. Wish me luck.

Good luck!

I was just wondering how everyone is doing. I am actually getting into some speedwork again and so far my hips seem to be holding up. My right hip flexor is always trash but some solid core and strengthening seems to be helping. Hope everyone is running out there!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I read through the first few pages of this thread as I have a torn labrum now. Luckily, I don't think I need surgery as PT is helping and I'm back running, but wow, there are some horror stories in here! I feel much more fortunate with my path than most of you. Hope everyone is doing well.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I had my hip surgery with Dr. Wolff in Washington, DC Dec 20 2021. They said there was significant ossification in my labrum and that it was beyond the ability to repair, so they reconstructed it with a draft. I also had combination impingement, so they reshaped my femur and hip. Going into the surgery, I had a lot of confidence in Dr. Wolff based on reviews from others that he is among the best surgeons in the DC area. For the first 9 weeks my recovery went pretty smoothly. I was always on at least one crutch outside the house for the first 9 weeks, although it was feeling increasingly unecessary. Finally my PT said it's about time I got off the crutches.

Ever since I got off crutches, the pain has gotten steadily worse in and around my hip, though. Now I'm 16 weeks post-op and at such a loss of what to do that I'm considering going back on the crutches.

Meanwhile, my surgeon said the type of pain I'm experiencing is a sign to rest. Lately I've been a bit gratuitous with that advice, as I've stopped any PT whatsoever, as well as biking, ellipting, walking, anything really. Those used to be things I really prioritized as my cherished only remaining fitness - but now that even that hurts I find myself losing my mind. Doing my PT makes me cry - sometimes in the middle of the session and other times after. Walking makes me feel pain and as a result I get down for hours on end after, to the point that I can't focus on anything at all and I'm getting behind on my work. It feels so hopeless no matter what I do.

The idea of a second surgery isn't unbearable to me, but I hope I figure out first what I did wrong in the recovery so I don't repeat it!

For those of you whose surgery didn't work out, how/when did you know? What did your surgeon recommend in that case? Did you get another surgery? And how did that work out?

an amazing likeness

It's clear you're struggling and the quality of your life is being impacted...I'm sorry that's happening to you. I can't offer any advice on your hip, informed or otherwise, but will encourage you to keep the long view in perspective...be mindful of what you can do today to have the best quality of life 30-40-50 years from now...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.