Trail Racing vs. Road Racing - (Same Effort & Sub Ultra Distances) (Read 136 times)

xhristopher

Interesting replies. Thanks. I posted because I've often heard people say that trails are easier on the body than roads but this has never been my experience and I wanted to hear what others had to say.

I believe anything is as hard as you make it. That can be a mile on the track, a flat 5K, a hilly marathon, or a bike ride. Just because someone ran longer doesn't mean they put out a more intense effort. That said, running and racing trails seems to give me suprise soreness in new places. Trails can also be more relentless with hills, turns and obstacles making it harder to find your rhythm. This is also true of racing and covering others moves, even on a flat track.

It sounds like I'm making an argument for about the same doesn't it?

bhearn

That said, running and racing trails seems to give me suprise soreness in new places. 

Certainly trails use more and different muscles. Trail running is great for improving coordination and balance, even for road runners.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I fall a whole lot more on trails butt worst fall was on the road when I tripped over roofing shingles left in the edge of the road. I broke 2 teeth that day.

Trails have taken me longer to get comfortable with but most of my trails are technical so there's that.

Personally I like both.

You people have issues 

Trails can also be more relentless with hills, turns and obstacles making it harder to find your rhythm. This is also true of racing and covering others moves, even on a flat track.

It sounds like I'm making an argument for about the same doesn't it?

I think the learning curve for most runners is learning to run by a fairly even effort vs pace on the hills, turns, and technical terrain or you learn to run fast when you can and slow down when the terrain/elevation just doesn't permit it.  Also not wasting effort trying to dodge rocks and roots vs just running a line and stepping on/over.

As for racing strategy, if you are racing for a top spot on trails you may be forced to run much faster than you like for the first few miles to avoid getting caught behind a train of slower runners with nowhere to pass for quite a while.  I've even seen this happen in a 100 mile trail race.

Running my first trial race on Saturday, a 10 miler, will know more then.