Key Fobs (Read 348 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A running friend of mine asks -

My Honda Civic died so I bought a Mini Cooper Countryman--got it used, so options were not my choice.  One of the options is "comfort access"--where you just have to have the key fob in the vicinity of the car and you can open the doors and start the engine--don't have to insert the key at all.  Many people like this option because they don't have to fumble with their keys.  Those people may not be runners.  So as a runner, when I used to have an old-school key that actually had to be inserted to lock/unlock/start I could lock the car and take the key with me and use a safety pin and clip it to my shorts (I stopped "hiding" the key on a tire when I read about people hanging out at parks and waiting for runners to do that, then stealing their belongings--or their cars).  With my new car I don't want to run with the fob--for one thing I've only got one fob and if I lose it, sweat on it (short-circuit it), fall and crush it, etc. my car would be non-operational.  It's also bulky--so putting it in a plastic bag and taking it with me is not really a palatable alternative.  So I thought about using the old-school key that comes with the fob (it is embedded in there and removable for old-school locking/unlocking, but not ignition starts).  That's a fine option, except that since I need the fob to start the car, I would have to leave it in the car (hidden) when I go run.  But if I do that, since it's "near" the car (hidden inside), the stupid comfort access system would allow anyone to come up to the car and open the doors, then push the start button and drive away, even though they might not even know where the fob was hidden.  One thought was that I have to buy another fob anyway (at something like $350, plus two trips to the dealer), and maybe I could get the second fob so that it does not have comfort access programmed in.  Then I'd leave the comfort-access fob at home, use the non-comfort access fob on a daily basis, and do what I initially contemplated and hide the fob in the car and go run with the valet/embedded key clipped to my shorts.  I've gotten split opinions from various Mini dealers as to whether that is possible.  The ones who said it can't be done say that comfort access is through the car, not the fob--so once you have it, you're stuck with it.   

Internet: can you help?

My friend has the same problem.  Looks like a jerk waving to strangers on the greenway with his fancy car key in his palm.

Tim_Easterday

I run with my fob all the time. It's pretty resistant to water. Heck, I even forgot about it being in my shorts pocket and put it in the wash. Still works fine. I couldn't see myself crushing mine - it's pretty stout and I would break a bone before breaking the fob.

TJoseph

You could put the fob in a metal box when you hide it in the car so the proximity sensor won't detect it

Wing

Joggaholic

I run with a spibelt and put the fob in it. I sweat a lot (at least in the summer) and my fob survived. I was not worried about the sweat killing the electronics in the fob because I can always use the metal key embedded inside the fob. My fob is small (I also don't have it chained to all my other house keys and stuff) so it doesn't bounce in the spibelt. For mine the key inside the fob can be taken out, so I can also choose to just take the key when I go run and leave the fob at home.

TJoseph

Here is an RF shielded pouch made just for that purpose:

http://www.ramayes.com/RF_Shielded_Pouch.htm#RF Shielded Key Pouch

Here is an RF shielded pouch made just for that purpose:

http://www.ramayes.com/RF_Shielded_Pouch.htm#RF Shielded Key Pouch

I think I just found a use for my RF shielded Passport wallet that I got for Christmas. But I think my friend gets locked out (can't open the door with the key part, just the trunk and in dash compartment  to lock/unlock things in before valet parking), auto locks after a few minutes if the key is not detected in are near the car, need to test it at home where my friend has the spare key

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have a Countryman with comfort access and run with my key fob in my shorts all the time. No problems so far. Also had a Clubman for several years before that. It didn't have comfort access, but I ran with that key fob in my shorts all the time also. Never had a problem.

Just run with the key fob. It's not that big. You can also get another from your local mini dealer so you have an extra in case you do lose/destroy it.

Comfort access rules, BTW.

MTA: Missed the part about $350 for a second key. Didn't know that.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

You guys are thoughtful and practical.

My thought was just get a new car.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

not lazy, just tired

I have a mini countryman as well and run with my fob all the time.  I have a small zipper pocket on the back of my running tights that I put it in. Sweat doesn't bother it. I used to have a BMW with comfort access and actually ran the key through the wash more than once (oops). Still worked, although I wouldn't advise doing that.

Not if it makes sense.

(I stopped "hiding" the key on a tire when I read about people hanging out at parks and waiting for runners to do that, then stealing their belongings--or their cars).

tldr. still do this.

Get off my porch

an amazing likeness

This has nothing to help the OP, sorry -- but I just have to say I hate the auto-access-if-you-have-the-big-hulking-fob-on-you feature with the heat of 1,000 suns.  The only thing worse is the start/stop button. I don't want a fob of any kind...for crying out loud you over-designed, over-engineered morons...just give me a simple freakin key and I'll stick it in the lock to open the door, and the ignition switch to start the beast.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Not dead. Yet.

I don't want a fob of any kind...for crying out loud you over-designed, over-engineered morons...just give me a simple freakin key and I'll stick it in the lock to open the door, and the ignition switch to start the beast.

Dare we ask how you feel about Twitter...or what about email?!  Color TV?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Internet: can you help?

Run from home or get a normal car you yuppie douchenozzle. (Not you, your "friend".)

Runners run

xhristopher

Just pop the battery out of the fob and it won't comfort access anything.