Oy, my ass! (Read 2565 times)

I make a fist, sit on it, and wiggle back and forth, while driving. Seems like a perfectly normal thing to do, to me

Oh my.

My wife's battling a relapse of her hamstring attachment issue.  Other than massage therapy, I'm not sure anything she's tried has had much effect.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Starting about this time last year, I suffered for several months.  I read the dead butt article back when it was published and thought that was probably my problem, but I did not feel that the article was very descriptive of the symptoms or the treatment solutions.  I believe the problem originated from the hip flexors and I blame high mileage without cutback weeks.

My pain was in the glutes and the top of the hamstrings where they connect to the glutes.  Reaching to touch my toes was especially uncomfortable and I sometimes had pain and cramping in the hip flexors as I sat and brought my knee up to put on my socks.  My butt and hamstrings did feel dead, but it also seemed to make my quads feel dead and I felt like I could not increase my running pace from slow and easy.

I had been doing leg swings and using a tennis ball on my hamstrings, but the symptoms were not improving.  In January, I finally reduced my mileage and in March, I began diligently doing most of the exercises shown in the first three of these videos from Running Times after runs.  I think some technique drills can also help.

I gradually improved over the course of several weeks.  I now continue to do the exercises and, every 4-6 weeks, I force myself to reduce mileage 15% or more for a week. I am feeling good now with almost none of the symptoms.

I would not expect that symptoms will improve quickly, but good luck. 

RA'ers are a wealth of information. Thanks.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Craig

Here is some more info and exercises.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=25112

Queen of 3rd Place

Somebody here (sorry I don't remember, I should thank you) posted that "butt pain" can be due to not "activating the glutes". With that in mind, one day I went for a run and on every hill I focused on using my glutes to get up the hill. 

It was like a miracle. This one little change instantly and significantly improved how I felt during and after my runs. The slight to moderate, but nagging pain I've had for more than a year is almost completely gone (unless I do a fast or long run, but then there's just a little pain - I think this is just due to me not sticking to "activating the glutes" during harder workouts). Furthermore, if I'm not running, it's completely gone - it was formerly something I noticed even when just walking around. 

Might not work for most people, but if it helps just one person I'll be happy! 

Ex runner

Somebody here (sorry I don't remember, I should thank you) posted that "butt pain" can be due to not "activating the glutes". With that in mind, one day I went for a run and on every hill I focused on using my glutes to get up the hill.

I tried this a while back, and I ran like Forrest Gump with his leg braces on.  Is there some trick to it?  Am I just that uncoordinated?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

SMART Approach

It may have been me regarding glute activation as I have been researching upper hamstring tendonitus/tendonapathy, ischial bursitis, ischial tuberosity syndrome, ischial-gluteal pain, weaver's bottom etc for years. I continue to deal with it. Weak glutes and anterior pelvic tilt can be a reason why the hammys fire more while running.  I also try to think about firing the glutes while running. I try but it affects my running form - I don't care about this on normal runs but when racing or faster work, I find I cannot do it. I think a greater issue for me is "sitting". The pressure on this area irritates the bursae. The attachment tendon and bursae are in a similar place.

Last year was a decent year for me but still can't train like I want. It never goes away, it just requires a lot of work to keep it bay. My next thought is PRP injections with prolotherapy. There may be some scar tissue that is causing soreness.  Need clean 100% firing tendons rather than ones working at 70%. These injections are about the only thing I haven't done other than ASTYM and GRASTON.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

don't mean to crash the party,

I will have to check out the RA article mentioned by yoderc.  I've been having hamstring/glute and all these issues discussed since this past summer.  The pain subsided until I attempted an indoor track season and BAM it's back again.

I was referred to Wharton and his Active Isolated Stretching exercises. 

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3512

The routine has helped but not completely alleviate the problem.

I have to keep mileage conservative and limited on pace for intervals.

Now if I could get one of those Jefferson desks, that would be Dyno-Mite!

Thanks for the all information.

I tried this a while back, and I ran like Forrest Gump with his leg braces on.  Is there some trick to it?  Am I just that uncoordinated?

I don't think you can consciously activate your glutes in that way. But try this little test:

Lay on the floor on your stomach, legs straight and put your hands on the back of your head. Keeping your knees straight, Lift one leg up at a time. Use your butt to pull your entire leg off the floor. Repeat with the other leg slowly. If a person has a weak ass, they'll use their lower back more. The order in which the muscles should fire when you do this is glutes first, then lower back. If it's the other way around, you have a weak ass/poor glute activation. I just did this at the chiro office 2 weeks ago and he said I'm one of the 10% of people he treats that has the muscles firing in the right order. 90% pull with their lower back. 

I have a compressed facet joint andsome inflammation that he's treating. Causes some discomfort in the lower back and butt on one side. Nothing serious and I can run. But based on that little test and some other things he did he said I don't have to do any core work; I already have a strong core. And I do zero core work. I just do low bar back squats, deadlifts and overhead presses regularly. 

Queen of 3rd Place

Tchuck, it might very well have been you.

I only do this on uphills, and then it's just a slight mental emphasis, kind of like I'm slightly flexing my butt with each step. It was a complete surprise to me that this worked so well, maybe it's just coincidence or luck.

Ex runner

vegefrog

Well damn.

Saturday I finished up my last long-ish run after 6 months of marathon training...and on mile 8 started to feel a wierd clicking/pinching sensation on my left hip/upper thigh. Ran the full 13, got home and felt sort of tight on that side but nothing too bad. Work up this morning and it is definitely sore, like a pulled muscle sort of...I'm pretty sure I have this gluteus medius thing after looking it up and reading this thread. I'm pretty positive it's not piriformis because my butt doesn't hurt to sit on and not ITB because the pain doesn't go past 5 inches down my outer thigh.

Gonna be a fun first marathon this Saturday Joking I thought I had done so well! Built up my miles slowly and steadily, didn't run too fast...injury free. Until now.

I'm gonna foam roll the hell out of it, stretch and take Ibuprofen all week. After I survive the marathon I will come back here and re-read all your helpful tips on how to recover from this Smile

uncontrollable

same thing, left side - have had it before - it will heal: it's like all my tension from training accumulates in one ass cheek! LoL

peace

uncontrollable

oh & can be tender but i found rolling on a tennis ball releases is better than most anything: slow, varied movements

peace

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Attempting to cut mileage. Normally in the 30ish when I run. It is 75F in Atlanta. There is no way I can not go run! I will be content with 4 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

oh & can be tender but i found rolling on a tennis ball releases is better than most anything: slow, varied movements

Blush

Runners run

Bump

Give me some good news about piriformis coming on suddenly when your goal marathon is 2 1/2 weeks away. Please.