How much protein/Carbs/Fat in the daily diet? (Read 160 times)

Notne

Hi -

Wondering what people who tend to track their dietary intake feel about how much of each of Protein/Carbs/Fat they feel they should get.

Where I am now, and there's no reason to think it won't change and soon since I seem to decide every week or so to go to something different based on what I read. Each of the "grams nutrient per lb body weight" mentioned below are from articles like Runners World.

It's funny, after crunching a lot of numbers as below, the 60/20/20 rule thrown around so frequently seems like it is probably OK to use as a rule of thumb!

1. Post run, within 20 minutes

- 0.5 gm protein per pound body weight

- 15-25 gm protein

This nicely works out to a pint of low fat chocolate milk and a slice of Pepperidge Farm German Whole Grain Wheat bread for me - nice and simple! (I wish I could find *No* fat chocolate milk somewhere &hellipWink

2. Daily, for non-running days

- Carbs: Choosing the lower range of 2.7-4.5 gm Carbs per pound body weight (i.e.,  2.7 gm Carbs/lb)

-  Protein: Choosing a mid-value of the range 0.5-0.8 gm Protein per pound body weight (I'm choosing 0.64 gm Protein/lb)

- Fat: 0.5 gm/lb body weight

Then I see how many calories that is individually and totally. It works out to around 60-65% of calories from Carbs daily, and 15-25% of calories from Protein and Fat. I'm pretty happy if I'm in those ranges at the end of the day (it's easy to track using the MyFitnessPal app).

3. Daily for running days

Same ratio of nutrients as non-running days (i.e., around 60/20/20), I just up the calories to eat by the amount of calories I burned.

I just wonder if 15% of calories from Protein, even though it is in the range of 0.5-0.8 gm of protein per body weight daily, is enough when I'm not just running, but doing some medium weight upper body work in addition to running. 

It was a bit of work to go through the math at the beginning, but now I just have MyFitnessPal set to 60/20/20, I'm happy if either protein or fat on any given day is between 15-25% as long as Carbs are between 60-65%, and it's pretty easy to track all this stuff now.

How do you guys choose your running/workout diets?

Thanks!

Seattle prattle

i am very particular about my diet, but I don't add anything up. Once i added how much protein i get just to get me in the ballpark, and in so doing, i figured in needed to drink about 75 grams of protein shake per day and make sure i got a protein afternoon snack, in addition to the protein in my normal diet. That's eat, i mean "it" (and I actually did write eat the first time).

My daily food intake is super clean, and my weight never ever fluctuates more than a pound, which i weight every time i go to the gym.

As for your choc. milk, i just mix organic cacao powder into my protein powder and that does the same thing, mixed with water. Sometime as a post run recovery beverage, i will mix milk with it, and a tablespoon of beetroot powder (Yeah, baby!).

If anything, I should start upping my fat intake. I mostly get it from nuts and a little bit of meat, and it's probably not enough.

For me, counting calories and the like is not worth it. I just watch the results. And my weight is good, i have enough muscle, etc., and if it wasn't, it would just adjust my eating habits accordingly.

Evolving body parts

(Disclaimer: I'm a recreational runner with the occasional street races + team ultras, no expert in nothing)

I think a lot depends on your goals (rec / hobby / amateur athlete / elite, distance), your metabolism and your age.

I used to be on the 'traditional' highish protein, high carb diet when I started to take running a bit more seriously. I was young and my body could take anything I threw at it. I found that as I aged (48 now), I started to have IBS like symptoms, had to time my run to avoid cramps & stuff. So to generally feel better (and not primarily for performance reasons) I started to experiment with very low carb.

Don't hate me, but then I gradually (and quite naturally I must say) progressed to keto and various fasting patterns. These are my experiences so far:

• First two weeks on keto: performance in nose dive, felt like crap 5km in the runs. No keto flu though, only restless sleep. 
        • Past the 2 week mark: I can run ANY time now, no matter when or what I ate. It can be on empty or right after dinner. THIS IS VERY LIBERATING. No bloating, no sluggishness. Pretty even runs. 
        • Performance wise I found that I can do slightly better a few hours after I ate. When running 15-18 hours fasted, I'm okay, but can't get my heart rate high enough (5-10 beats lower than 'normal') and I'm slower, too. 
        • (Plus there a tremendous list of other benefits, like better sleep, faster recovery, great mood, etc. This is why I started primarily.)

So now I'm at probably 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb, but I don't count anything. I eat eggs, meat, butter, cheese, dark chocolate, a lot of greens and some fruit. I'm still in ketosis, because I eat only once or twice each day and I usually deplete my carbs pretty quickly during exercise. I'm still easing into fat based running, right now I run about 5-7 low to medium effort miles daily. Real test will be a nice little team ultra in 6 weeks with about 45k run by me. Excited to run without worrying carb loading, hitting the wall or meal timing Smile

A lot of this can be due to zero gluten, I guess. Was never diagnosed, but I have a feeling I developed some sensitivity.

Don't take this as a low carb rant, just my 2 cents.

Not to preach, but I believe whole fat organic milk to be superior for one's health than skim or 2%

btw whole milk is 3.25% fat,

I'm not a fan of protein powders, eat real food instead, if you weren't getting enough protein per day then maybe a shake, i strongly believe they do more harm than good, They're unnatural. Many contain heavy metals, added aminos etc.. in unnatural unbalanced ratios, or only some aminos, etc.., etc..,

.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight? Most of these formulas are for bro's on steroids.

the average American gets plenty of protein per day, My belief is get adequate protein throughout your day. Milk, Meat, plants usually don't have complete amino profile or if they have them all, they are low in many/some of them.

300m- 37 sec.

MelissaPetty

I love eat real foods, and doing sports 1 hour

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I think people obsess way too much about diet. Just eat a reasonable amount of a reasonable variety of food. With the exception being eat as many veggies as you like because, worst case, they won't store as fat and you'll dispose of them naturally!

Michael Polllan has always made a lot of sense to me when I get in the mood to obsess a little...

How to Eat
              Diet secrets from Michael Pollan (and your great-grandma)
              Houston Chronicle
              Houston Chronicle, January 23, 2010
              The most sensible diet plan ever? We think it’s the one that Michael Pollan outlined a few years ago: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” So we’re happy that in his little new book, Food Rules, Pollan offers more common-sense rules for eating: 64 of them, in fact, all thought-provoking and some laugh-out-loud funny.

By “food” Pollan means real food, not creations of the food-industrial complex. Real food doesn’t have a long ingredient list, isn’t advertised on TV, and it doesn’t contain stuff like maltodextrin or sodium tripolyphosphate. Real food is things that your great-grandmother (or someone’s great-grandmother) would recognize.

Pollan points out that populations that eat like modern-day Americans — lots of highly processed foods and meat, lots of added fat and sugar, lots of refined grains — suffer high rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. But populations that eat more traditional diets don’t. Our great-grandmas knew what they were doing.

But in the last few decades, we seem to have lost that old cultural know-how — or maybe it’s just hard to remember it in our drive-thru world. We need rules.

Like Rule No. 19: “If it’s a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don’t.” Or Rule 36: “Don’t eat breakfast cereals that change the color of your milk.” Or Rule No. 20: “It’s not food if it arrived through the window of your car.”

For most of us, “not too much” is especially hard. But if you follow Rule 52 — “Buy smaller glasses and plates” — your portions will seem larger. And Rules 58 (“Do all your eating at a table&rdquoWink and 59 (“Try not to eat alone&rdquoWink will help you slow down and enjoy your meals more.

Hard-core vegetarians complain about the “-ly” in the rule “mostly plants.” So be it: Pollan isn’t dogmatic. He urges us to eat less meat, and better-raised meat. But he doesn’t insist that we give it up entirely.

He ends his book with Rule 64: “Break the rules once in a while.” Decades of obsessing about nutrition — eating low-fat this and low-carb that, drinking sugar-free sodas and vitamin-enhanced water — haven’t made us thinner or healthier.

It’s time we ate like our great-grandmas.

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

64 Food Rules

The first one would seem to be enough. The second one I guess you need if you want to sell some books.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

The first one would seem to be enough. The second one I guess you need if you want to sell some books.

completely agree! Can't sell any advice that fits in one sentence or even one page...

MikaeloBlurryB

link spam

I do not follow any diet and just eat whatever I want. I don’t know how it works, but I am still fit and feel good.

Are you my long lost twin?

I pay more attention to WHEN I eat, so I'm not full when workout time comes around (afternoons for me). But, I end up following the Michael Pollan rules instinctively. Unless there's bacon or jerky involved. Or cake. Or donuts; tiny little ones. Ok, basically any pastry.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

littleGizmo

weather im running or weight training I like to eat plenty of protein both plant and meat. If I am dieting I will actually increase my protein uptake and drink protein shakes.  If I am dieting I keep protein intake at good levels but lower carbs/ fat/sugar/alcohol/ sugar alcohols in diet