I gave in and trying out a virtual 10k...maybe... (Read 60 times)

Gizmo2019

When they started moving races to virtual i was like no way..i need the camaraderie, the competition, the pacers, etc. But then i realized, my goal was to beat my time from last year while training for a marathon. i dont think ill run this particular 10k again.  my last years time was about 1hr and 5 sec ..i think its in my log. i stopped 4 times during the race for about 45  to 90 seconds due to a strained ankle that i stretched out. my goal was sub 60 min.

whats the fastest i can possibly get this year if i train harder than last yr?

an amazing likeness

What I recall from your previous 10K training wasn't that you weren't training hard, you were -- but rather that you weren't running all that many training miles.  This was due to life's demands on your time, not a shortcoming on your part.

I think you should make your objective to reach that 60min goal you set -- go get that one first, then go from there. And change your question to be....what training do I need to achieve that 60min goal I set for myself when running a virtual race?

I'd recommend you review some of the proven (free) 10K training plans -- I'd point you to Higdon -- and load up a training plan here at RA, run it, and see what you can do.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gizmo2019

Thanks milktruck .

yes I’m using Hal Higdons plan, between a novice and intermediate, I’m thinking of throwing in a couple things from advanced from the speed training, I think besides the mileage, I also need to work on speed training. The issue was anytime I run too fast for too long, the ankle cramps up. Happened during training too. So around the last 2 miles during the race I had to slow down and stop. It sucked.

i still have the same life demand unfortunately. This was supposed to be my first year with all kids at school thus was going to start marathon training for summer 2021, but then covid happened.

tho I can still manage a small race I think...

the issue now is this is supposed to be my first week training but we have wildfire smoke out here and I have no treadmill...I’ll do the best I can I suppose...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A virtual race doesn't have the same push for me as a real race. I've done 3 virtual halfs and only one was comparable to a normal race. But it is better than nothing. You might find the training plan gives you some focus and motivation in your workouts. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gizmo2019

A virtual race doesn't have the same push for me as a real race. I've done 3 virtual halfs and only one was comparable to a normal race. But it is better than nothing. You might find the training plan gives you some focus and motivation in your workouts. Smile

Thanks for the tip. This is how I imagined it. But I need something to push me towards...like you said. Thanks