Garmin Integration (Read 1099 times)

For those of you who are familiar with step 1, "I've come to admit that I am powerless over running and my life has become unmanageable." I went out and bought a Garmin because I don't think it's possible to complete one more run not knowing my pace at all times. So, now.. my two favorite things? RunningAhead and Garmin. How do I make them talk! (i.e. importing run history, courses, etc from Garmin Forerunner 205)
      "I've come to admit that I am powerless over running and my life has become unmanageable." RunningAhead and Garmin. How do I make them talk! (i.e. importing run history, courses, etc from Garmin Forerunner 205)
      I know just how you feel. It is almost an obsession with me and my Polar. Love analyzing my HR graphs on the computer. Now having that and RA together would be a dream come true. Eric, you are not too busy, right Wink. Hey, we can dream, can't we? Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      Al1

Freaky post....I just jumped on RA to see if it was possible to import my garmin forerunner 301 running courses. How sweet it would be to have perfect maps. I frequently run on a park path that I have to freehand to make my google map course. I think we're dreaming though.
        eric :)

Hi guys, GPS import is on my list of todos. It's one of those that I'll get done sooner than later as GPS running gains popularity. I should be able to start work on it some time next year. eric Smile
            Hi guys, GPS import is on my list of todos. It's one of those that I'll get done sooner than later as GPS running gains popularity. I should be able to start work on it some time next year. eric Smile
            I was sorely disappoint when I read "next year" until I realized it's already December 16. The year sure does fly by! Thanks, Eric.
              Ah, I too have a Polar HRM and looked forward to uploading my stats to my computer ... except that they don't make the software for Macintosh Computers. Damn! So I have to input everything manually. Cry Chances are that someone may fix that issue before Polar does ... wouldn't it be nice if a smartie geek runner out there tackled that issue? Big grin
              Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
              derek

Ah, I too have a Polar HRM and looked forward to uploading my stats to my computer ... except that they don't make the software for Macintosh Computers. Damn! So I have to input everything manually. Cry Chances are that someone may fix that issue before Polar does ... wouldn't it be nice if a smartie geek runner out there tackled that issue? Big grin
                I tried, but there was very little interest so I didn't bother to take it any further. See http://www.exersilo.com . I switched from my Polar S625X to a Garmin Forerunner 305 so I myself have very little interest in taking it further.

Derek

still alive

I just found RA and am happy I did. I've had my Garmin since June. As a mac user, I've never had access to my data from the beginning, so I've been using motionbased.com for all my Garmin needs. It is great for what it is, but the logs here are great. Maybe there's a way to partner with MB and RA to bring the best of both worlds together?

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

I've been thinking of buying a Garmin Forerunner, but have been holding off. I like this site, and use the hybrid map to put my trail runs on. It's a touch inaccurate, but even the road runs I do are off. I run in very hilly areas, and the Google maps don't account for the extra distance with altitude gain/loss. I guess I'd rather have my logs show slower times for my runs, and get better results when racing. I'll be patient, and wait for Eric to have the time to play with this. Wink -mg
                    Vancouver Marathon - May 6
                    vicentefrijole

Ah, I too have a Polar HRM and looked forward to uploading my stats to my computer ... except that they don't make the software for Macintosh Computers. Damn!
                      I too use a Mac and this was the biggest factor in my decision to buy the Garmin 305 (and return my Nike Triax Elite without using it). I didn't even look into the Polar products since they aren't Mac compatible. I hope someday Polar and some of these other companies realize that Mac users, though they are the minority, are exactly the kind of users that tech companies should cater to: tech savvy, design conscious, and ready to spend extra money for good products! I also hope that Garmin and MotionBased make good on their promises to offer full Mac compatibility very soon.
                        Just bought a Forerunner so I'm throwing my vote in to get Garmin integration put higher up on the list Big grin
                        eric :)

Just bought a Forerunner so I'm throwing my vote in to get Garmin integration put higher up on the list Big grin
                          Me too Big grin

Marathonmanleto

Eric, Great to hear. Been thinking of posting again, but figured that I'd stay off your case. Now you can see what we mean--motionbased leaves something to be desired...
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

motionbased leaves something to be desired...
                              Such as? Just curious.
                              mbk

Such as? Just curious.
                                In my limited experience, Motion Based lacks the ability to enter or alter any data. Shoes - nope Effort/Quality - nope Weight - nope Type of activity - limited, can't be configured per user Easy view of activity - limited Easy reports - limited Also, the two biggest beefs: 1. You can only enter a workout via the Garmin. So if you ever do workouts without your Garmin, you can't track them. 2. You can't edit the Garmin data that is downloaded. My Garmin occasionally registers incorrect distances or splits; in these cases, I will enter the data as I know it should be. With MotionBased, what you download is what you get. Also, in some cases MotionBased will not match the data downloaded into the Garmin Desktop software. So which is correct? It doesn't matter, because you have to accept what MotionBased tells you. I find MotionBased to be a nice little curiosity, but after a few downloads I stopped using it except occasionally. The information just wasn't that valuable, and the limitations were too large.