Be alert, be cautious, midwest friends (Read 256 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had never heard the term derecho until maybe 15 years ago when one came through this area and tore out about 1/3 of the trees in a long swath following the Grand River.  It ripped an entire side off of a condominium building like it had been cross-sectioned and knocked-down a big brick chimney at a factory.  They said it was the storm of the century.  2 nights later a near identical storm hit about a half hour north.  Since then it seems like we get a fairly big one at least every couple of years.  The winds are clocked at tornado speeds, but without the rotation.  It's really something to see them approaching.

We were on our bikes about 5 miles north of this one...we managed to outrun it and get to our destination just as it hit.  Fortunately it was not a particularly destructive one, but we cut our ride short when we checked phones and saw the radar.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's coming...

~ Sarah Kay

I'm not a weather guy, but I was expecting something more straight line (ie. north / south) than the full yellow, green, and red blob over Wisconsin, Lake Michigan, and Michigan..

The bad ones down here in Texas look bad 150 miles before they get here and have a distinct good to the east and good to the west of a 30 minute tornado scare storm.

Stay safe, friends.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

We have had heavy rain off and on since about 4:30 with periods of high winds,  thunder that shook the house, and lightening all around.  I've heard reports of trees down.  All is quiet now, but we are under a thunderstorm watch til 1 a.m.  I think other areas north and south of us had more severe weather.  Be careful if you are in the line of this - it is ugly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not a weather guy, but I was expecting something more straight line (ie. north / south) than the full yellow, green, and red blob over Wisconsin, Lake Michigan, and Michigan..

The bad ones down here in Texas look bad 150 miles before they get here and have a distinct good to the east and good to the west of a 30 minute tornado scare storm.

Stay safe, friends.

Yeah, thus far what we've gotten is pretty unmemorable and we didn't see any sign of derecho/shelf cloud type activity.  There's more coming, but it looks pretty low-key.  I think the worst of what has hit MI went N and S of us.

~ Sarah Kay