Wear something with emergency contact info (Read 239 times)

Daydreamer1

Question for the EMT folks......I switched from the regular Road id to the slim one. Do you think one is better than the other? I feel like the slim could potentially get overlooked as a "cause bracelet", while the regular is much more obvious. I wear it opposite my watch, so it's the only thing on that arm. The switch was 100% vanity related, way less tan lines from the slim.

I had to go on the web site to see what the slim is like. Didn't know they had some many new changes, maybe it's time I get a new one.

The slim might be easier to over look but  the pictures show that your name is to the outside of the band so that should jump out at anyone examining you or removing items.  I see that they also offer the option of putting a badge on them with the medic alert emblem being one of those.  If I decide to get a new wrist band I will put that on mine as that would make it harder to miss.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I even wear my RoadID when I run on hotel treadmills. Stuff can happen.

One need only look up "treadmill fail" on YouTube to see why this is a good idea. The

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prince of Fatness

Good thread. I have had the RoadID on my shoes for years.

I'll get one for my wrist instead.

If you think that the wrist one will annoy you at all, get the ankle one. I've been using it for years and I don't notice at all when wearing it.

Not at it at all. 

If you think that the wrist one will annoy you at all, get the ankle one. I've been using it for years and I don't notice at all when wearing it.

I don't notice the wrist one at all. I have the slim.

Dave

delicate flower

I wear a RoadID on the opposite wrist from my watch.  I wear it all the time whether I'm running or not.

This.  It's on more than my wedding band.

I need to order a new one (RoadID, not wedding band).  The info has worn away.

<3

runnershawn

Thanks I just ordered road ID

jfa

Me too.

xhristopher

I know SO many cyclists who have their Road ID strapped onto their bike handlebars, rather than on their wrists.  I've pointed out that shoes can go flying, and EMTs aren't going to be looking at their bike for ID if it's behind in a ditch while they're carted off in an ambulance.  People are genuinely shocked by the shoe thing and tend not to think ahead to what the scenario will really be, should the worst happen.

Yeah, when I was hit my bike was hauled out of the road and threw to the side AND my shoes were knocked off. My phone and id were still in my jersey pocket when they hauled me away.

When the guy riding behind me last year was rear ended they just tossed his bike to the side of the road without a second thought.

In both cases the EMTs left the bike behind and fortunately passersbys took the responsibility of getting the crushed bikes back home.

xhristopher

I buy shorts with pockets. When I head out I take the following in a ziplock: My ID, insurance card, bank card, cash, and sometimes my car key. If it rains I can put my phone in the ziplock.

If I'm hauled to the hospital I've got all that. I guess I could add a simple laminated card with instructions to call someone...

And there's also this. After you are dead they can move it from around your neck to your big toe.

On the main page click on Military , they're $10.20 with shipping now which is still pretty darned good.

rlopez

I'm surprised we've made it to page 2 and nobody has mentioned the road-id online feature, wherein you can collect a bunch of "important" information about yourself in an easily accessible online spot.

It has been a number of years since I've done this particular gig, but back in my day, we would never ever ever take the time to fiddle around with an online data repository either in the truck or at the ER. And so if anything is kept in there, I would have suggested people just focus on what maybe hospital admissions staff might maybe need. Maybe.

But times have changed, and so I'd put that one to the professionals responding on this thread. Does that feature set matter to you at all?

(and hooray for people finally starting to understand that the shoe version of the road id is not a great idea)

xhristopher

(and hooray for people finally starting to understand that the shoe version of the road id is not a great idea)

While the EMTs left my bike for dead they did grab my shoes. Fortunately my shoes didn't fly too far.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm surprised we've made it to page 2 and nobody has mentioned the road-id online feature, wherein you can collect a bunch of "important" information about yourself in an easily accessible online spot.

I just got one of those as a Christmas present to myself, slim version. It does have name, contact name and phone number, and the online site. While the EMTs may not need the info available on the interactive version, that gives access to a lot of useful info such as all my doctors' names and phone numbers, who has authorization to make medical decisions if I can't, more extensive medical history, etc.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, when I was hit my bike was hauled out of the road and threw to the side AND my shoes were knocked off. My phone and id were still in my jersey pocket when they hauled me away.

When the guy riding behind me last year was rear ended they just tossed his bike to the side of the road without a second thought.

In both cases the EMTs left the bike behind and fortunately passersbys took the responsibility of getting the crushed bikes back home.

My MIL suffered a concussion a couple of years ago when she tipped over at a stop.  Her bike was left in the ditch.  A nice witness made sure her bike got back to her.  It makes me wonder how many bikes end up abandoned and/or stolen subsequent to accidents.  Perhaps my bikes need their own Road IDs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Daydreamer1

It has been a number of years since I've done this particular gig, but back in my day, we would never ever ever take the time to fiddle around with an online data repository either in the truck or at the ER. And so if anything is kept in there, I would have suggested people just focus on what maybe hospital admissions staff might maybe need. Maybe.

But times have changed, and so I'd put that one to the professionals responding on this thread. Does that feature set matter to you at all?

I choose to put in my medical history in the online data bank.  It's not going to be looked up in the ambulance unless there happens to be a lot of responders on the ambulance.  It may not even be looked up while you are in the trauma bay, but it most likely will be looked up by the time you go to the OR for surgery or are admitted to the ICU. If your emergency contact is not able to be reached or may not know every important detail about you it kind of makes sense to do so.  The important information would be Medications, medical history, allergies and any previous surgeries.  I'd leave stuff like SS# and insurance info out of it in case the system would ever get hacked. That stuff can be obtained later and doesn't matter in the short term.  The fact that you may be allergic to a medication like Diprivan or have metal implants in your body is important.

xhristopher

My MIL suffered a concussion a couple of years ago when she tipped over at a stop.  Her bike was left in the ditch.  A nice witness made sure her bike got back to her.  It makes me wonder how many bikes end up abandoned and/or stolen subsequent to accidents.  Perhaps my bikes need their own Road IDs.

Not a bad idea at all. Something affixed saying "if found call..." and possibly dropping something similar down a tube in case of theft. Which leads me to wonder... is there a gps/cell enabled product (bike LoJack) to drop down a seat tube, or other place, to help recover a stolen bike?