Treadmill Long-Run (Read 808 times)

Hi All, I have an 18-miler scheduled for tomorrow (April 19th marathon). My wife really doesn't want me outside in 0 degrees Fahrenheit (pause for laughter) and so I may be relegated to the treadmill at the gym. Has anyone done a run of this length (or greater) on the treadmill? General thoughts/advice welcome.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I have 2 runs over 21 miles and many more over 15. You should prepare more or less the same way as you would for a long run outside (with good weather that is). Chaffing is an issue no matter where you run. Bring your ipod and hopefully you have something interesting to look at. I really prefer longer runs on the treadmill. I have water right in front of me and a bathroom is always close by.

Res firma mitescere nescit
      Running in Tampa

Yes, except that when I go to the bathroom (I did a 15-miler on the mill last week), either 1) I am breaking an ethical rule against reserving the treadmill or it shuts down and I lose my data. But, it's a small price to pay for the convenience and all one needs to do is add the distances up. Thanks, Ribbie.

milkbaby

Dunno if you will see this before your run tomorrow, but long runs on the TM can be very enjoyable... Don't be too strict about the pace but go partially on effort because some TMs will not be calibrated correctly. If you have the chance to have a fan blow on you while on the TM that is nice too as there tends to be poor air circulation in some gyms, so you get hotter running indoors on a TM than running outdoors. Like Ribbie, I have done a ton of long runs on the TM (looking at my log, 5 of 20 miles or more in the last 4 months). It actually is a relief not to carry a water bottle which is what I do when I run outdoors. If you can find a good basketball game, movie, or something else on TV to watch, that is a plus -- you can kill two birds with one stone! Smile
          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

uncontrollable

Yes, I didn't have a choice Cry but I did 22 miles 2 weeks ago. Biggest mental discipline I've needed in a long time. I covered the whole info pad with my sweatshirt.

peace

still alive

Hi All, I have an 18-miler scheduled for tomorrow (April 19th marathon). My wife really doesn't want me outside in 0 degrees Fahrenheit (pause for laughter)
              Ok, I've finally stopped laughing! Wink Seriously, though - I've done long runs at -20F. It's not a problem. Just cover your skin, wear layers of wicking fabrics, good windbreaker on the outside and you'll be fine.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Yes, I didn't have a choice Cry but I did 22 miles 2 weeks ago. Biggest mental discipline I've needed in a long time. I covered the whole info pad with my sweatshirt.
                Is that why people do that? Do others find this useful?

I like looking at the readout. I will change the pace every ¼ to ½ mile and mix in hills (incline) once in a while. To me this makes it more interesting than just running the same pace for the entire run.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                  Running in Tampa

My legs are killing me

It is helpful. I notice that when I'm on a threadmill I focus on time rather than miles and if I look at the clock time really drags. So I do anything not to look at time.
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I do, but I need to peak at it from time to time. I can typically go the first 40-50 minutes without looking. After that I set song limits on how frequently I can check (Ok, I'm going to keep it covered for the next 6 songs before I look at my progress). I've gone up to 15 on the TM. Good chance I'm doing 18 this coming week.
                        I like looking at the readout. I will change the pace every ¼ to ½ mile and mix in hills (incline) once in a while. To me this makes it more interesting than just running the same pace for the entire run.
                        Gotta mix the inclines. I did a little over 2 hours Saturday switching inclines every 10 minutes (up to 10%). I use a HRM to make sure I'm generally giving a consistent effort. Gives me something to look forward to. I got stuck watching sports and Paula Deen who nauseatingly touches everything she cooks after she licks her fingers. I'd rather lick the sweat off the info pad than eat one of her gnarly "home-cooked" morsels. But I digress, no?
                        patora

i run on treadmills everyday (in the winter) and I have to cover the display, too. If i don't I go insane watching the numbers creep by slowly. I always end up thinking I can't finish. If I cover up the display and count songs, once I get to 22 or so I know I'm about finished with my run. It's much more enjoyable to count songs than watch the numbers creep slowly past.
                            I can't run on treadmills, I get injured. Maybe it's the belt pulling my legs through I dunno. I am a "driver" style runner so the ground moving underneith me doesn't work. With that said I have done long runs up to 22 miles in as low as -5 degrees. A good base layer and and a micro fleece outer is all you need really. Cover your face and put a sock on you wee, wee and get out and enjoy mother nature. While your training for your OUTDOOR race you'll have one up on your counterpart competition who is running indoors. Ohh yeah nylons make a nice warm second sock without the bulk.
                            PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Half Fanatic #846

What he said! Stuff like this helps keep me a little busy during my treadmill runs, plus TV and/or music. I did an 18 miler a couple of weeks ago on the TM. To me, covering the display is boring. BTW, some gyms have a time limit... Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!