2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

DoppleBock

So I figured out the "Serious" math to get to a goal marathon weight / fitness 6/23

But damit!

I need to avg 15 Miles per day running through 6/20

3 miles a day walking through 6/20

lift weights / core 30 times

consume < = 2,900 total calories per day

That would mean crabby / no beer DB.

I hate math

Not gonna happen - Plan be is to get to a 2:59Tight lippedx.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Are we there yet?

Ha! At least your honest. Must be pre-beer math. Smile

So I figured out the "Serious" math to get to a goal marathon weight / fitness 6/23

But damit!

I hate math

So, to get off the topic of BQ-X:XX,

I'd almost decided to give up trying sub 3 at Ottawa on the 26th, then I've hit some decent workouts in the past couple weeks and I feel like I'm fitter than I thought I was. I'm still too many days off, but that's scheduling and laziness, not tiredness. I'm stuck running it (and running it hard) because I was registered as part of a competition for work, and submitted last year as a qualifying time.

Today on a half-baked idea that came to me during the run, I ran full distance in 3:20 - at 4:45/km - I think that's 7:38/mi. It was far from race effort, and I felt like I could have gone a little further - I feel basically OK after a tea in an ice bath, shower and lunch. It's encouraging, but doesn't really mean anything, I don't think.

Next Sunday (2 weeks out) I think I'm going to register for a 15K race (It's cheap), run another 20K between warm-up and cool down. Since fueling was possibly the thing I did the worst (out of many bad things), I think I'm going to try to eat and drink like my race plan. Whether to run it at marathon pace,  ½ pace, or something in between, I can't figure out. Any suggestions?

Given how bad my last month of training was last year for 3:00:17, what should I do? Last time I paced for 2:55 and then lost it completely with 10K to go. I'm thinking about something similar, but with more, but shorter, race pace runs in my taper.

DoppleBock

Ran a 41:27 10k yesterday - Perfect day, very turny / windy course along with 10 seconds for wrong turn ... I think I could have done @ 41.  Whatever - all I know is I need to go from @ 6:40 pace in 10k to 6:12 pace in a 5 mile in 5 weeks to think I have a shot at running sub 3 on 6/23.

I have failed most by declared attempts at sub 3 ... but here it goes again.

Dopplebock 6/23 Maritime Marathon Manitowoc, WI - Sub 3

My tester race is 6/8 - Walleye Run 5 miler ... If I am 31:30-32:00 I have a long shot.  31:00-31:29 possible ... 30:30-30:59 likely and 30:00-30:29 fairly certain chance at the sub 3.

I give it @ 25% chance at all coming together in 41 days.

But damit!

I hate math

Dopplebock 6/23 Maritime Marathon Manitowoc, WI - Sub 3

I will most likely be signing up for this race too.  We'll see what my post IAT 50 recovery is, but I'm hoping I will recover enough to pull off a BQ -20 (<2:55).  That gives me six weeks to sharpen my speed.

DoppleBock

My current plan only hypothetically would get me to 2:57 best case.

We will have to see how the next 41 days roll ...

I will most likely be signing up for this race too.  We'll see what my post IAT 50 recovery is, but I'm hoping I will recover enough to pull off a BQ -20 (<2:55).  That gives me six weeks to sharpen my speed.

Gonna give it another shot in 2 wks at Sugarloaf, anyone else heading up to nowhere Maine?

CalBears

Ran Avenue of the Giants marathon yesterday. According to my watch and the timer at the finish line my time is 2:55:30. The organizers put me for 2:52:52, but I am pretty sure they messed that big time. I already contacted them and asked to double check. In any case, I finished 5th overall out of about 600, 1st place in Masters category and 1st AG. Feel pretty good about that Smile. Next stop - Chicago.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

HermosaBoy

Ran Avenue of the Giants marathon yesterday. According to my watch and the timer at the finish line my time is 2:55:30. The organizers put me for 2:52:52, but I am pretty sure they messed that big time. I already contacted them and asked to double check. In any case, I finished 5th overall out of about 600, 1st place in Masters category and 1st AG. Feel pretty good about that Smile. Next stop - Chicago.

Nice!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

B-Plus

Damn Cal, you're on fire! I skimmed through your last report again, and you said you were going to take it easy this time. Was this taking it easy?

CalBears

Hermosaboy - thanks! I am still long way from your results. And you are older than me.

Damn Cal, you're on fire! I skimmed through your last report again, and you said you were going to take it easy this time. Was this taking it easy?

Thanks B-Plus, I believe I said I wanted to run another sub-3, but the fact I could not rely on my Garmin among tall trees and a desire to win AG messed my pacing and then it was too good to give everything away. Now, two weeks off and then time to start thinking about Chicago.

I posted my race report in the blog area - Avenue of the Giants - Marathon #6 Race Report.

If you have 5-10 minutes to kill, you are welcome to check.

Thank you.

B-Plus

Great race Cal. Congrats on the AG and masters win. Have you scoped out the Subway locations in Chicago?

CalBears

Great race Cal. Congrats on the AG and masters win. Have you scoped out the Subway locations in Chicago?

That will not be a problem I am sure Smile. We used to live in Chicago and I remember one of the Subways near Wabash and Michigan avenue :-)

I am going to race Rock&Roll San Diego on June 2nd (and am actually only 35, not 38 as it listed on the first post).

I have struggled with some achilles issues this Spring as a result of weak muscles in my feet, but in spite of that I was able to PR in a half-marathon on April 28th in 1:20:47. I haven't run nearly the mileage I wanted and have only done one 20-miler so far this year, but I think I am in good shape as long as I train consistently for the next two weeks and then taper smart.

--

Nashville, TN

DoppleBock

I think as long as you do nothing crazy and pace the actual marathon within your limits - You will have a great race.

I do not think I could break 1:30 in a half as of last weekend -  41:27 10k.

But with 7 weeks between 10k and the marathon - I believe it is doable to get to 2:59Tight lippedx.  Mainly becasue I have plenty of base and I have run many times under 3.

I do have to run consistently and lose 15 more pounds between today 5/10 and race day 6/23.  Add 4 consistent weeks of speed work and a reasonable taper ...

The trouble will be I am asking for a lot of good things to happen between now and then ... including a good weather race day in WI, late June.

I am going to race Rock&Roll San Diego on June 2nd (and am actually only 35, not 38 as it listed on the first post).

I have struggled with some achilles issues this Spring as a result of weak muscles in my feet, but in spite of that I was able to PR in a half-marathon on April 28th in 1:20:47. I haven't run nearly the mileage I wanted and have only done one 20-miler so far this year, but I think I am in good shape as long as I train consistently for the next two weeks and then taper smart.