Thoretical calorie consumption question (Read 922 times)

Misinformation Officer

Although there are some inherent errors in the calculation, you can get a rough estimate of calories expended through using a heart rate monitor, calibrated to your age, gender, weight, height, and known (or estimated) min/max heart rate range. My cheap one from Costco (~$40) works fine for this purpose. Again, it's an estimate, but if you are interested in putting a number on something like "estimated expenditure" rather than just trusting your "perceived exertion," it is a useful tool. I use it b/c I am a terrible judge of my perceived exertion. I think I am sweating and working my tail off, and my hr is in the "low" range, or I feel great, and I am near my 80%. (This suggestion is not to bring on the whole Maff controversy, just to help out with giving some data to the conversation.) HTH.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is a rough estimate as good as any Heart Rate Monitor: If you weigh 100 lbs, you burn 80 calories per mile If you weigh 150 lbs, you burn 135 calories per mile If you weigh 200 lbs, you burn 165 calories per mile

Misinformation Officer

Oooh!!! I like that! Wish I'd known that esp when I was a newbie. Smile

De-slacking in progress

Here is a rough estimate as good as any Heart Rate Monitor: If you weigh 100 lbs, you burn 80 calories per mile If you weigh 150 lbs, you burn 135 calories per mile If you weigh 200 lbs, you burn 165 calories per mile
          Well, per my watch, I ran 6.2 miles with average overall HR @ 150 bpm, I weigh 180# 5'7'", ran hills during the run, in 82% humidity, sweating my arse off, but really ran an easy run pace. it says I burned 1069 calories. Is my Timex HRM info a bunch of bunk science then? I really don't care about what it says on calories burn anyway. i don't track it. I eat what I want anyway. I enjoy eating and if i want ice cream I'll eat it. i judge my weight loss by how loose my clothes are. Was a 40 waist- now ALMOST a 34 waist but not quite.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Just Be

For the most part, my HRM says I burn about 110 to 140 calories per mile depending on intensity. I weigh 155 lbs on average. Here's an interesting entry from my running log where I did a 4x400 workout in 66 to 70 seconds per lap with a lot of walking recovery: Total Distance: 2 miles. Average Pace: 19:05/mile. Calories/mile: 254. Average HR: 138. Max HR: 179 It would seem that Polar's HRM is using some sort of math that can adjust the calorie burn estimate based on total time or time at high heart rates. I bet if I went out and actually ran 2 miles at 19:05 per mile it would say I burned 110 calories or less per mile.
              The more Oxygen a person can burn will translate into more calories used. How that is calculated, I dunno. It does make sense to me, in order to be able to burn 100 litres of Oxygen you need x amount of fat or Glycogen .The problem is trying to get fit enough to be able to utilize more Oxygen. MTA - Major problem is as you get fitter you need less Oxygen - so you have to run much further or faster. MTA- Maybe our bodies work similar to car engines - city driving uses more fuel per mile - Hwy driving uses less fuel per mile- Pedal to the metal hwy driving uses the most fuel per mile.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Just Be

Then later on the following week, during a similarly intense 400 meter workout my HRM reported a calorie burn of 158 per mile. Tongue I did a 5x400 in 64 to 75 seconds per lap with my average lap time being 66 seconds, and with much less recovery time. Earlier I did a 13x400 with no walking recovery at all, just jogging for 200 meters in 60 seconds between reps, at an average lap time of 86 seconds, and it reported that I burned 135 calories per mile. On the 15th of this month I ran 0.94 miles at 4:12/mile pace and it reported that I burned 140 calories. I guess in conclusion, I have no clue how it figures calories. Big grin