After injury getting off of orthotics (Read 80 times)

Yeti

Hi all, I'm a first time poster but long time lurker.  Anyway- about two years ago I had a few tears in a ligament of my foot from a high mileage week paired with a fall off a curb.  I went to a podiatrist who provided orthotics and I have been able to race since then using the orthotics.

As it has been 2 years- I do want to get off of the orthotics- I ran 20+ years w/out them and I don't want to be dependent on them for the rest of my life.  When I bring this up with my podiatrist- he naturally responds with- 'why not stay on the orthotics'?

My foot is healed- but it doesn't seem as strong as my other foot.  If I run w/out the orthotic- my foot gets sore after about 5 miles.  Have any of you been through this before and successfully transitioned off orthotics? If so, how did you do this?  What exercises should I do to strengthen my foot?

Thanks- appreciate any insight you may have!- Owen

Feeling the growl again

Your foot is not as strong because it is crutching on the orthotics.

You need to work on strengthening the foot back up.  There are two things you can do:

1) Run without the orthotic until it challenges your foot...perhaps every other day, hopefully increasing over time.

2) Get light, flexible, minimal shoes to wear a lot of the time that you are not running to strengthen your foot.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yeti

Thanks Spaniel, I'm going to start this today.

BlazinCajun

I second spaniel

I weened myself off them. Started additional barefoot running on grass. 3x200m week1, 3x400m week2, 3x600m week3, then 3x800m each week for two months. I continued this and ran my first marathon in Saucony Kinvaras - no problems.

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

Yeti

Awesome to hear BlazinCajun- your story gives me hope.  I can't wait to get rid of these orthotics.