What's the point of the mid-long run? (Read 1479 times)

Think Whirled Peas

For what it's worth, I run mid-week long runs at the same pace I run my long runs: starting at 20% over MP and gradually getting down to 10% over MP. I take this approach for two reasons. First, I believe it's what Pftiz calls for; and second, because I find it makes these runs somewhat challenging but not overly taxing. I think these runs, and I say this based solely on personal experience, should not be too hard or too easy. I suppose if I had to classify them as one or the other, I would call them the easiest of quality workouts. To that end, I, usually do interval/tempos on Tues and MWLR on Thursday and LR on the weekend.
    I think the way you're running your mid-long runs could work for me, but again, based on where I'm at in my abilities, I don't think I am going to be able to handle the speed work as well on separate days.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Think Whirled Peas

PoQ, I put all my "speed" work into my two longest runs; my long run and mid-long run. That way I only have 2 hard days a week. It also helps ensure, by default really, that my "workouts" are geared toward helping me improve most at the longer distances--it's hard to do your "speed work" too fast when it's in the middle of a 13 mile run and you still have to get home in one piece. If I'm banged up and not feeling it, I just turn the mid-long run into a steady run or progression run without any real speed but I still get the miles. I don't get too hung up on labels--you'll see a lot of runs just called "mid-long" in my log but if you drill in you see tempo runs, long intervals, hills, strides etc. The biggest breakthrough I've ever had in running was when I stopped going to my club's weekly track workouts and started committing to a mid-week mid-long run. To answer the original question the point is to build endurance (particularly high-end endurance) and stamina (what is currently often referred to as "improved Lactate Threshold" or some other scientific-sounding words or acronyms here in the GSP.)
      Thanks for the input Mike, and please don't be offended, but I think you're INSANE! Your training is anyway! I KEED, I keed. If I'm being perfectly honest, I've been following your (and Jeff's) philosophy of "just run" and it really has been working for me. I've secretly (in a totally non-stalkerish way!) been keeping tabs on how you train for a while. That's why I was so interested in how to do strides a month or two ago, 'cause I know you're a big proponent of them. I have done them a couple of times now, but I'm skeered to do them on my long runs b/c of what you mentioned (getting home in one piece). I'm just so new to the sport yet that I'm not confident enough to know that I'm doing them hard, but not TOO hard while out on a 10 - 13 miler. But it sounds like I'm gonna need to learn! I think that mixing them into to the two longer runs makes the most sense for me, as it gives me two quality workouts per week (this is another concept I've stolen from you Smile). It also leaves the track-type workouts out of my schedule, which Nobby recommends. I also like Nobby's suggestion of possibly alternating between a mid-long and a speed workout every other week. AK, thanks for all of the feedback! And I am absolutely STUNNED at your ability to go on a "5-6 hour training run". FWIW, I am really trying to work on getting more disciplined in my running, and I think once I get into my "Q's Ultimate Training Plan for the Beginners Named Q" that it'll help keep me on task for what I "should" be doing on any given day. THANKS EVERYONE! Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I'm just so new to the sport yet that I'm not confident enough to know that I'm doing them hard, but not TOO hard while out on a 10 - 13 miler. But it sounds like I'm gonna need to learn!
        You've gotten a lot of great advice here, PoQ. I would add that (IMO) strides are best done near the end of my runs. That way if I run the last few a little too hard then, oh well, I'm close to home anyway. They shouldn't be that hard - but doing it that way will help build your confidence initially. Regarding the mid-week mid-long runs - I agree with much of what's been said here. I've done very little speedwork in the few months leading up to my last 2 HMs - but I've dropped 10 minutes off my HM time. I'm completely sold on the value of the mid-week mid-long run. They've not only boosted my physical endurance - they've boosted my mental strength - which I think is just as important.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AK, thanks for all of the feedback! And I am absolutely STUNNED at your ability to go on a "5-6 hour training run".
          Keep in mind that's on trails. We stop for scenery and walk while eating.Smile (same as I do in longer races) I'm not sure I could do 2 hr continuous running on road.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

SMART Approach

I am a big advocate of 2 work outs per week within two longer runs per week as Mike suggests. On the same miles per week the past 4 years, it wasn't until I started training this way (with influence from Tinman), that my times started getting lower at all events. Putting some quality in 2 work outs per week has tremendous results for all distances and this quality doesn't need to be "fast intervals". http://www.therunzone.com/articles.html

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Running on the ocean

I don't read books, I just follow mileage plans...like the pfitz 18-55. he's got the mid-long runs. I never thought to wonder why, but I can say I think they really help. After 6 weeks of two 10 to12mile mid week long runs, I was able to chop 6 minutes off my half marathon time. I just ran them however I felt that day and logged them as mid-long runs.
              Hey Lifesabeach! Congratulations on your fantastic 3:36:49 finishing time at the SURF CITY USA Marathon. I wanted to run that marathon but tried to sign up too late and it was full Dead Emailed the RD and begged for an exception but to no awail Cry The medal looks really beautiful. Congratulations!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
              -- Jakob Herrmann
              my running achievements