Looking for advice from experienced runners. (Read 155 times)

I don't think the OP is around anymore,

Yeah, there's the thing, people may be wasting their time posting since the OP seems to have checked out a while ago. Either he gave up on the goal, or he is too busy to post because he's out running 30 hours a week.

Dave

berylrunner

Rick

Too bad.  It is turning into a good discussion.

Dang, I hate disagreeing with Paul but the 200 miles over a week (or 6 days at a timed event) is going to be much tougher than a single 100 mile race.  No variety, day after day, sleeping in a tent, not seeing family, etc.  Brutally tough.  I would pick a 200 miler like Bigfoot or Tahoe any day if I had time or money.  Although if the OP is still reading the 6 day event is a good idea.  Interesting comparison however, a fall 6 day event in your future Paul?

runmichigan - thanks for doing some math, your estimates are very optimistic.  So I guess I'll add to the downer list.  I have done only a handful of hundred mile weeks.  For kicks on one of them I kept track of time.  Over 24 hours.  I run slow though and did a lot of power hiking (our fancy Ultra term for walking) in the mountains.  Good point about the time commitment required for the build up.  Agreeing with Paul on this one, 30 hours per week is excessive.  10 to 15 is plenty.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

an amazing likeness

Some years ago, a RA member who is a solid 2500-3000 mile per year, sub-3 marathoner, etc, set out to do a fundraiser where he ran the same miles as day-of-month. So 1 mile on day 1, 2 miles day 2...onward. That made his last week 25 + 26 + 27 + 28 + 29 + 30 + 31 = 196 miles. It broke him.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Some years ago, a RA member who is a solid 2500-3000 mile per year, sub-3 marathoner, etc, set out to do a fundraiser where he ran the same miles as day-of-month. So 1 mile on day 1, 2 miles day 2...onward. That made his last week 25 + 26 + 27 + 28 + 29 + 30 + 31 = 196 miles. It broke him.

I could do that for a week.

Dave

Natcox64

So finally I have logged back in to read a lot of good comebacks for ppl to say its impossible instead of the science behind the running. A few have gave really great answers.. Ill take them into consideration. Well I'm not new I guess to running but its def. Not something ive always constantly worked on. Now its going to be. I have goals I have lessened them since the 200 mi. After doing more research. Reason behind all this is training. Buds to be exact. That is my goal out of this. But instead of hear about good luck with that I wanted to hear the science behind the running so I can prevent injury while training for this achievement. I have heard during he'll week they cover more than 200 mi. Which is where my number come from. But I never thought that the farthest usually they run at a time is 4 mi. I believe. So my new goal is to be able to run 10-15 mi at once with decent pace. Hope this covers all of your answers

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

He should have run in February....

Joking aside, it's a good point.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

SubDood

... Reason behind all this is training. Buds to be exact. That is my goal out of this. ...

BUD/S, as in Navy Seal training? That is intense. Here's a quote from the Navy Seals website that I think gives context to your situation:

"In this grueling five-and-a-half day stretch, each candidate sleeps only about four total hours but runs more than 200 miles and does physical training for more than 20 hours per day.  Hell Week finds those candidates who have the commitment and dedication required of a SEAL.  Hell Week is the ultimate test of a man’s will and the class’s teamwork."

I think there is some good advice in this thread. I think you probably wouldn't want to run 200 miles in a week leading up to your BUDS training. And there are a lot of aspects of that course beyond running -- mental as much as physical. Good luck!

I could do that for the first week Smile

I could do that for a week.

I guess since the op updated his aim etc it sounds more reasonable now to know he isn't planning a jail break in the desert. So I would probably follow a 10k specific training plan but up the overall easy mileage to prepare the body for the continuous strain during that week. And on top of that do a lot of other training that would allow you to win the cross fit games. Good luck!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!