2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, what's a Jima workout? I need more hill workouts in my life, even though the only hills here are high way overpasses and garbage hills.

Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington Virginia - officially known as the "Marine Corps War Memorial" (and also famous as the finishing area for the Marine Corps Marathon).  It's a nice lollipop loop up the access road, around the memorial, and back down to the entrance gate.

The Iwo Jima hill workout is basically run hard with good form from the bottom to the one-way sign at the top, then jog to the grate, then downhill stride (also with good form) to the manhole cover, then jog to the bottom.  Do 4-8 repeats.

My running team used to do this workout for 6 weeks twice a year, and then the road got repaved with concrete and the workout got stopped due to concerns about running too much on concrete.  I don't mind the concrete, so I just do it on my own now.

Strava link.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - absolutely on Reddit and the technical side! I've used it for aquarium stuff, plumbing issues, HVAC issues, etc. You also read so many books! Reading is one of those things where you make the time if you want to. I hear so many people say I don't have time to read, but then they watch 3 hours of TV a day (admittedly, that's my current cycle as well).

Also the website you recommended to RP - I am afraid to type that one into my browser. That name does not line up with the content you described...

DK - the thing I didn't realize when I was younger was that "biased" news doesn't necessarily mean false. Two newspapers could report the same story and you would walk away with very different conclusions, even if both news stories are 100% accurate. Newspapers have so much leeway in shaping opinion just deciding what stories to write about. That's one of the frustrating things when you meet someone who retorts you with "show me what's false in this story" because they don't get how bias works in reporting.

Back to running stuff: is your goal marathon this February one? Seems like a very short window here! Also non-running: don't think I've ever had goose, but we had duck for this Xmas. Not something my bigger family eats but we only had a small Xmas this year so I was able to make it.

ETA: are your activities private? I tried clicking on them so I could follow you on Strava, but kept getting errors that the activity "could not be found"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

Thanks dktrotter. Regarding hills, this might be an unpopular opinion, but for what it's worth, my favorite tool for hill work is..... the treadmill. You have complete control over the incline. I usually do either an easy run with incline varying 2-5%, often maintaining 3-5% for several minutes at a time, or 1 min reps of a steep hill at a slow to moderate pace with equal rest, which turns out to be something Jack Daniels suggests btw.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave and Dorothea - Thank you, it just feels like I'm doing everything 10% better than I was a year ago.  darkwave, yes I may not need your approval but I'm very happy to get it!

Jmac, Flavio couldn't agree more about Reddit. Some of the subs which are not even remotely linked to politics can be great.  But anything politics related is extremely left leaning which is probably why, like RP, I have -99 karma.  I'm sure I deserve a fair chunk of that but I also went down fast for stating vaccine facts (quoting the CDC or Pfizer for example).  Like a lot of causes these days, it's a bit of a cult.  Ukraine is similar - if you dare to point out that giving unaccounted billions to a country with a history of corruption might not be a good idea, you're a Putin stooge.  It's possible to think that AND abhor the invasion...

Anyway, best stop that before I wind myself up.  I do go looking for it sometimes when I can't help but comment on the farce that our country has put up with in the last few years.  I doubt any of us will lie on our death beds worrying about an internet argument though.

I'm having quite a light week as I target this 5km on Saturday.  It feels weird to have been running for so long and be making a 5km debut (I'm still counting a PB if I get it, because of that 19:51 in the second half of the Motorway 10km).  I'm wondering if the reason I haven't done one is the Gaga risk.

Jmac - if you permit a B race on the front page, can you put my goal as 19:50.  Or use your power while you cling to it and update the goal according to rule 7 as required.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I'm having quite a light week as I target this 5km on Saturday.  It feels weird to have been running for so long and be making a 5km debut (I'm still counting a PB if I get it, because of that 19:51 in the second half of the Motorway 10km).  I'm wondering if the reason I haven't done one is the Gaga risk.

Jmac - if you permit a B race on the front page, can you put my goal as 19:50.  Or use your power while you cling to it and update the goal according to rule 7 as required.

Extra motivation: my PR is 19:53. But it’s pretty hard to imagine you not blowing that completely out of the water, if you ran 19:51 in the second half of a 10k.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For my last race as the dictator, you think I'm going to allow you to put up a 5K goal of running faster than the 2nd half of a 10K??? At least you acknowledged rule 7, so I will give you a pass.

19:29 it is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

For my last race as the dictator, you think I'm going to allow you to put up a 5K goal of running faster than the 2nd half of a 10K??? At least you acknowledged rule 7, so I will give you a pass.

Haha I love it.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I was thinking 19:30 reading through this, but I find one less second completely reasonable.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fair enough. I’ve hurt a bit on my LT stuff in the last few weeks, but I hadn’t done much speed before the 10km either. I’d be very happy to hit your goal!

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I predict 18:59 for Steve.

I’m not often wrong with my predictions.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I predict 18:59 for Steve.

I’m not often wrong with my predictions.

Ah shit, sorry Steve. I'll change it to 21:59.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Gold. But that’s about the percentage Mikkey has been out by before.

Dave - my old coach did 19:38 last weekend so that’s a big motivator too.

Ah shit, sorry Steve. I'll change it to 21:59.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac, Flavio couldn't agree more about Reddit. Some of the subs which are not even remotely linked to politics can be great.  But anything politics related is extremely left leaning which is probably why, like RP, I have -99 karma.  I'm sure I deserve a fair chunk of that but I also went down fast for stating vaccine facts (quoting the CDC or Pfizer for example).  Like a lot of causes these days, it's a bit of a cult.  Ukraine is similar - if you dare to point out that giving unaccounted billions to a country with a history of corruption might not be a good idea, you're a Putin stooge.  It's possible to think that AND abhor the invasion...

I never got into Reddit but this honestly sounds a lot like the reasons I largely stopped using Twitter.  Started following a bunch of bands/artists I listen to, which is actually pretty fun as sometimes they will directly respond to you (or at least their PR person does).  Soon as you get into politics though it's just a bunch of tribal bullsh!t, and mostly quite left leaning.  People pretend that they are in there for a debate but honestly a 160 character limit facilitates the exact opposite and most people seem to prefer their own echo chamber.  And of course once you start discussing politics, Twitter's algorithm decides to only feed you that stuff, so the whole thing becomes very self-fulfilling.  Even more so because people get so immersed in their own echo chamber that they genuinely believe their own bullsh!t and lose any real sense of perspective.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Elon Musk taking over Twitter is beautiful. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Elon Musk taking over Twitter is beautiful. 😁

A lot of folks on there are bitching about how bad it is and how bad Elon is and yet... they're still on there making him richer.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"