Ouch! My groin or thigh or somewhere right in there hurts. (Read 138 times)

So I'm 8 miles into a 10 mile run. Going too fast since I had just ran a 7 mile Tempo run the day before and a 20 mile trail tun three days before this run. I'm going up the same slight hill I run all the time and some inner thigh/groin paid starts about where I'd say the muscle attaches to bone in the groin. By the top of the hill the pain goes from my inner thigh down and over the top of my inner thigh and back to the inside of my lower thigh just above the inside of the knee. Sort of feels like a pulled groin and a thigh cramp all at once. I had to stop a couple times to try and strecth/massage it out and sort of hobble home. Surprisingly I didn't really lose any pace as I pushed throught he pain.

This happened because I didn't follow my plan because I felt great. I have the cause, but what about advice for recovery or experience with this?

I've taken a week off running and now the only pain I feel is at the probably muscle/tendon/bone attachment point. I feel this pain immediately upon acceleration. I have no pain whatsoever jogging in place but feel it as soon as I take off.

I have a marathon in 4 weeks and have little doubt that I could complete it in under four hours even if I don't really run from now till then and end up fully recovered.

Anyone else go through this before? Any advice?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've been out for 3.5 months with groin pain because I was stupid and ran through it initially.  If I could go back, I would have taken the time to rest and heal when it first started.

Running is dumb.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Not sure if it is the same kind of injury, but I was out for about 3 months with a groin injury several years ago. I did nothing but rest for a couple of weeks and it didn't go away. I finally saw a doctor only because I had booked a ski trip with trip insurance and had to cancel so I needed a doctor's note to verify the injury in order to collect the insurance. Doctor prescribed physical therapy. After 8 weeks of PT, I felt good enough to run again. PT involved stretching, core work, strength training, and massage along with daily ice treatments. If your injury is anything like mine was, it is not very painful unless you run at a quick pace, but it won't go away without treatment.

Yeah, it hurts as soon as I accelerate. Funny thing. I ran 1/4 mile barefoot ont eh Treadmill at  a12:00 pace and it never hurt. I think it has something to do with barefoot running forcing you up on the fronts of your feet.

I'm already strecthcing a lot, doing some massage myself, and icing a little. I'll see if that helps in the next week. I have a marathon in a month and a 24 hour run in September to train for.

It really sucks feeling like you can run for hours and than have this happen.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm not really surprised by your barefoot running not hurting.  I had the same experience.  The other weird thing about my injury is that I can jump with no pain, but running is painful.  Go figure.  I've been in PT for a while now and they're surprised that I haven't been responding to treatment.  I just had my second session of ART and Graston tonight, so I'm hoping this is my magic cure.

Running is dumb.

I think I have been dealing with a similar issue for the last couple of weeks after pulling my right quad in a race.  Basically, whenever I went downstairs or put significant weight on my right  leg, I felt a deep, ominous ache at the top of my right quad.  So I took over a week off from any exercise.  This afternoon, very tentatively I went back to the gym, planning on doing something low impact.  Did an eliptical machine for about 40 minutes without incident, so I said "what the heck" and ran 2 slow (10 + minute) miles on the treadmill.  I felt some twinges off and on during the run, but nothing major.  The discomfort did seem to lessen when I landed more on my forefeet.  It also seemed to help when I focused on a high cadence and took very short strides, trying to land as lightly as possible.

The leg is actually feeling pretty good tonight.  As soon as I got home, I iced the leg and then took a hot shower.  It's been 5 hours since then, and I haven't felt a twinge of pain, not even when going down stairs.  Still, I don't think I'm quite ready to celebrate and will be playing it safe for the forseeable future.  I don't have anything on my schedule I have to prepare for except for a St. Patrick's Day 5k that I could easily skip if necessary.

UPDATE: So I took a week of running and did a little ice and compression. I managed to do a test run of about 3 miles and felt fine so I took a day off and ran three more on the TM and felt fine. I then tried an 8 mile trail run at a slow 9:30 pace and might have felt the groin/thigh muscle a little but did not feel any pain or discomfort where the "tear" seemed to be at the point of attachment of bone/muscle at the inner groin area.

Maybe I'm all better. I'll play it ultra safe for another week. I'm in taper mode now anyway so the next 3 weeks were scheduled to be lighter. I managed to get 2x16, 2x18,a nd one 20 mile run in. As long as this injury heals I have no real concerns, just dropping my goal from 3:45 to 4 hours and moving on. I've done a half dozen 4 hour marathons so I think I'll be OK.

That is a good deal that it is improving.  ---Looking at your monthly totals, it might just have been too much, too fast!   I've battled through some similar 'sore tendon' type stuff as well a couple months ago, but apparently have not thrown myself "over the cliff of no return" .....yet...   Which 24 are you doing, the NC-24?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

UPDATE: So I took a week of running and did a little ice and compression. I managed to do a test run of about 3 miles and felt fine so I took a day off and ran three more on the TM and felt fine. I then tried an 8 mile trail run at a slow 9:30 pace and might have felt the groin/thigh muscle a little but did not feel any pain or discomfort where the "tear" seemed to be at the point of attachment of bone/muscle at the inner groin area.

Maybe I'm all better. I'll play it ultra safe for another week. I'm in taper mode now anyway so the next 3 weeks were scheduled to be lighter. I managed to get 2x16, 2x18,a nd one 20 mile run in. As long as this injury heals I have no real concerns, just dropping my goal from 3:45 to 4 hours and moving on. I've done a half dozen 4 hour marathons so I think I'll be OK.

Glad to hear of the improvement!  Although I am still not pain-free, I've worked my way back up to 7 mile runs on pavement.  Mainly, I now feel the pesky twinges of thigh pain only at the start of a run (first quarter mile or so).  Thereafter I feel it only if I overstride or land my right foot a bit askew.  My running efficiency is better lately.  I now land more consistently on my forefoot/midfoot, with a slight forward lean and a cadence of 180+.  I used to dread uphills and look forward to downhills.  Now I am beginning to look forward to uphills, which I handle much more efficiently than before, and dread the downhills, which more than anything are prone to lead back to overstriding (and those dreaded twinges).

Definately too much too fas!. My comeback was pretty much Zero to 35mpw for about 2 months and my pace was at the high end for most of it. How many times must I learn these same simple rules?!?

I'm signed up for the Hinson Lake 24HR in Rockingham, might sign up for the Weymouth Woods in Jan14 and possibly even the Umstead if I can get it and very much dependent on how my training goes for the next few months following the Tobacco Road Marathon in a few weeks.

That is a good deal that it is improving.  ---Looking at your monthly totals, it might just have been too much, too fast!   I've battled through some similar 'sore tendon' type stuff as well a couple months ago, but apparently have not thrown myself "over the cliff of no return" .....yet...   Which 24 are you doing, the NC-24?

- I live in VA Beach, VA, so those NC races are close to me.  I plan on getting some traveling in this year, since I retire from the Navy in about 2 months time.  But for 2014, I already have Hinson Lake -24 Penciled in.  And only 24 bucks to register! :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Register as soon as it opens. Filled by the end of January this year.

- I live in VA Beach, VA, so those NC races are close to me.  I plan on getting some traveling in this year, since I retire from the Navy in about 2 months time.  But for 2014, I already have Hinson Lake -24 Penciled in.  And only 24 bucks to register! :-)