Interesting observation about temperature (Read 192 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bear in mind that some runners may prefer to enter the temp in Kelvins because it's important for them for their data to come from a base of absolute zero (notwithstanding the misleading limitation of C or F beside the number).

You don't log your runs starting at mile 273, do you?

Prince of Fatness

MT has a point here. From a purely programming and data integrity perspective it's a bug. Data should never be unintentionally altered. Whether the data is valid or not it should remain consistent.

Unless Eric is just screwing with him. Then that's cool.

I would consider myself a typical developer and can tell you that if I was aware that that bug existed it would piss me of and I would want to fix it.  I am guessing that Eric would feel the same way.

I would think that rather than fudge a temperature it would be cleaner just to add a dew point field (forgive me if that exists, I do not note weather when logging stuff.  I just write "I was sweating my nuts off" or something like that in the comments).  This way if anyone is viewing the OP's log data they won't be wondering if the guy lives on Venus.

Not at it at all. 

Docket_Rocket

I would consider myself a typical developer and can tell you that if I was aware that that bug existed it would piss me of and I would want to fix it.  I am guessing that Eric would feel the same way.

I would think that rather than fudge a temperature it would be cleaner just to add a dew point field (forgive me if that exists, I do not note weather when logging stuff.  I just write "I was sweating my nuts off" or something like that in the comments).  This way if anyone is viewing the OP's log data they won't be wondering if the guy lives on Venus.

I would also like to see a dewpoint field, although seeing mine between 72 and 80 dewpoint for months might depress me.

And I understand RVD's suggestion because I usually consider my run basing it on temp + DP, which is usually above 160 for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

At the time I originally communicated with Eric about this, a year or two ago, I wasn't suggesting he add a new field.  That would have been too much work and I'm sure he had more important priorities.  At the time I thought he could just remove the edit on the field, but I hadn't realized that it was 8 bit.

gpb

Bear in mind that some runners may prefer to enter the temp in Kelvins because it's important for them for their data to come from a base of absolute zero (notwithstanding the misleading limitation of C or F beside the number).

Interesting.   Do they log their distance and pace using the gravitational center of the solar system as their base frame of reference, or do they find using the galactic center to be a better frame of reference?

gpb

I would also like to see a dewpoint field, although seeing mine between 72 and 80 dewpoint for months might depress me. 

For what it's worth, although you wouldn't be able to generate any reports on it, there's always the historic data available.

See http://www.wunderground.com/history/zipcode/30337/2006/7/4/DailyHistory.html?cm_ven=TWC&cm_ite=History

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interesting.   Do they log their distance and pace using the gravitational center of the solar system as their base frame of reference, or do they find using the galactic center to be a better frame of reference?

Tricky.  I think the only valid point of reference is the Big Bang.

Tricky.  I think the only valid point of reference is the Big Bang.

I guess you'd have to know where the Big Bang occurred, but there wasn't really a there there was there?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I guess you'd have to know where the Big Bang occurred, but there wasn't really a there there was there?

It occurred everywhere. That's why the cosmic radiation background is everywhere local. Right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The only "there" there was was everywhere. 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

As a developer I tend to live by the saying, "I can make it full proof but I can't make it damn fool proof."

Yea, it is too soon to be bitching about summer weather.

You people have issues 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The Big Bang took a 3-5 minute warmup?

Wait. Maybe I have my threads confused.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Big Bang took a 3-5 minute warmup?

Wait. Maybe I have my threads confused.

Like.