Beginners knee pain? (Read 61 times)

RunningWithPride

Hello everyone! I'm new not only on this website, but to running as well. I started running back in May, and was jogging around 3 miles a day, 4-5 days a week just for the heck of it. (of course I introduced everything slowly) I haven't jogged much for the past two weeks, and went for a 3 mile walk today to get back into running. Well, by the half mile mark, my knee was feeling really weird. Almost like there was something against it, and it felt very flat. There was pain, and I even limped a little. I've only started having problems with this knee for the past 2 weeks, and it's really bothering me. Back and knee problems run high in my family, so it's not hard to guess that I might have knee problems down the road. I'm just wondering if I'm pushing too hard, and asking for knee troubles later on down the road, and if this knee pain is normal. I'm almost 14 and I really don't want to screw up my joints. I take 4 500mg calcium vitamins every day, drink 1-2 glasses of milk daily, and down 6-8 eight ounce glasses of water. I eat all organic (75% of the time) but sometimes eat something unhealthy every few days, like a burger or something. I weigh 106 pounds, so I highly doubt it's a weight problem. I run barefoot, but today I walked in crocs. What am I doing wrong, and is this a sign that I am not supposed to be running? Thank you! -Meghan

If I could give myself advice (back in time 2-1/2 years ago when I started running)..., I would say when it hurts a little, push through it and if it hurts alot stop until it heals. There's lots of variables, especially to a new runner. A small pain could cause you to alter your stride, which could cause a whole other issue etc..... Try running with shoes. Read the forums. Most of all, keep active and don't get discouraged. Slow down, walk more. Log your workouts, and watch your improvements over a half year time frame,,,,minimum. The best thing I did was schedule my first 5K race a few months ahead, and that kept me on track. Good luck!

Will run for scenery.

Hi Meghan,

My advice would be to keep with the running, but be very careful about consistency.  Only run as far today as you ran yesterday.  If you want to run a little farther, fine.  If you feel tempted to run a lot farther, just say No!

I ran when I was 15 or so.  My dad was running marathons and sometimes I liked to go on runs with him.  One time, I had stopped running for a few weeks.  Then I ran a long run with my dad.  The next day my knees hurt like crazy and I think maybe I did some serious damage.  So be careful !

On the plus side, you are young and active and not overweight.  So there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to run without pain.  If running barefoot doesn't work, maybe try getting fitted for some proper running shoes.  They don't have to be super-expensive.  And tell your folks how much cheaper they are than knee surgery !

Good luck !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!