Losing Weight/Race Weight (Read 119 times)

spartanzdude3

I wanted to hear some suggestions from other runners on what they have done to lose weight. I’m currently counting calories and slowly getting the weight off to lose about 8 more lbs. Eventually one day, I would like to get into “race weight” since my life goal is to run a marathon in every state (I’ve done 12 so far!). It’s tough sometimes with work and having a family being consistent and watching how I eat. Of course, I also want to make sure my body is getting enough in for what I need running wise.

paul2432

I'm at a weight I like now.  To lose weight I weigh myself often.  If I'm not losing weight I eat less.  If I am I keep it the same.  If I'm losing too much weight I eat a little more.

I don't bother with counting calories.  I go by feel/hunger for how much I'm eating.  Maybe cut out beer or other empty calories for a while if I want to lose some weight.

FSBD

Try Shalane’s cookbook. If you stick to those recipes and portions you should do well with weight and fueling.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Fixing on a number is hard. I don't worry about the number but can tell my feel if my weight is where it needs to be. Keep in mind that muscle is heavier and you can be stronger bc you added muscle. Are you sure you need to lose to be at race weight?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Marylander

Some things that have worked for me:

• cutting out drinks with calories, this was an easy one for me but I don't drink beer and such...
            • eat better, by this I mean replace some junk with fruits/vegetables or replace simple carbs (white rice/white bread) with complex carbs (brown rice/whole grain bread)
            • cut down on eating 'healthier" junk, chips are chips whether they're fried or baked...
            • make small changes, e.g., make it a point to have at least one fruit/vegetable per day, add in another one after a month, and keep building. Like a tiny snowball at the top of a hill grows huge by the bottom you can make big changes without any little piece along the way being too difficult
            • don't try to do too much at once (another way of stating the idea above)
            • don't constantly deny yourself, have a scoop of ice cream or whatever now and then, it helps to avoid eating a whole carton when your motivation has failed
            • be sure of what your motivation is, I rarely race but I do have cardiac issues to worry about so my focus is health and I keep that in mind
            kcam

Some things that have worked for me:

• cutting out drinks with calories, this was an easy one for me but I don't drink beer and such...
              • eat better, by this I mean replace some junk with fruits/vegetables or replace simple carbs (white rice/white bread) with complex carbs (brown rice/whole grain bread)
              • cut down on eating 'healthier" junk, chips are chips whether they're fried or baked...
              • make small changes, e.g., make it a point to have at least one fruit/vegetable per day, add in another one after a month, and keep building. Like a tiny snowball at the top of a hill grows huge by the bottom you can make big changes without any little piece along the way being too difficult
              • don't try to do too much at once (another way of stating the idea above)
              • don't constantly deny yourself, have a scoop of ice cream or whatever now and then, it helps to avoid eating a whole carton when your motivation has failed
              • be sure of what your motivation is, I rarely race but I do have cardiac issues to worry about so my focus is health and I keep that in mind

I agree wholeheartedly with Marylander's advice.  I'll add one more major tip ..... Prepare and eat ALL of your meals at home, IE do not go to restaurants, not even "healthy" ones.   You will lose weight and your wallet will gain weight. Win-win! 

Seattle prattle

Good advice above.

Two more:

LEad an active lifestyle, there was a very good article based on a study recently and the gyst is, being active throughout your day makes the difference between losing weight and just maintaining, even if you do start an exercise program

and second, do like the Japanese and eat to 80%. Don't eat until you're full. And if you eat slowly, it helps. It works. Just stop for a little while during the meal and the next thing you know, you aren't actually hungry anymore.