Blisters-what may cause and how to overcome (Read 503 times)

Hey everyone:  I just had knee surgery(scope) and am on the long road to recovery.  I just did an 8 mile training run Saturday with a youger runner who is experiencing bad blister problems.  He is half way thru training for a spring Marathon-Cleveland. 

Does anyone have some advice as to possible causes of blisters and how best to treat?

Orangeman-

Orange Man and Eric.

an amazing likeness

First, good luck with working back from the arthroscopic repairs -- pay attention to the PT and leg strength, as much as just pounding out miles.

Blisters are all about friction, and the solution is almost always to get rid of that friction by removing whatever is causing it by changing socks, shoes, clothing -- whatever is rubbing.  Soutions like body glide or sportshield can help, but whatever is rubbing the skin will just wear them away as well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

DoppleBock

Soft feet

or

Poor stride can be added to reason the friction is caused or causing the blisters.

I can wear $1 cotton socks for 100+ miles and not have any issues - But most people like to treat their feet to socks that help eleviate friction for long runs.  Is this person overstriding - Planting ahead of the center of gravity instead of under themselves?

I think the answer depends on where the blister are at. 

Blisters are all about friction, and the solution is almost always to get rid of that friction by removing whatever is causing it by changing socks, shoes, clothing -- whatever is rubbing.  Soutions like body glide or sportshield can help, but whatever is rubbing the skin will just wear them away as well.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

Last year my feet started sweating more!  Lord knows why, and I got blisters every run.  I've switched to a more absorbent sock instead of the thin ones.....and no more blisters.  Smile      YMMV

Runners run

Last year my feet started sweating more!  Lord knows why, and I got blisters every run.  I've switched to a more absorbent sock instead of the thin ones.....and no more blisters.  Smile      YMMV

I wonder if it's the absorbency or the extra padding. If you're sweating enough to saturate thin socks then the chances are you're going to saturate thicker socks too.

I think the main thing is to get shoes that fit properly - and then experiment about how they're laced. You can adjust the pressure at different points quite a bit by adjusting how the shoes are laced.

Hoodoo Guru

Thin socks, properly fitting shoes, body glide, and athletic tape (put over the blisters until they heal.)

The tangents are moot.