2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

It gets better. 88F at the start (3PM), and still at 80F at 8PM, five hours after the start. Crappo.

Ideas?

Prepare for 15-16 hours of being uncomfortable.

ace glad the kids are doing well. How is #3 going? Sleeping through the night and waking up an hour after you wake up?

Seriously lacking motivation to run this week. Yesterday was forced. Today feels better. Marathon training is going to be SO much fun. I'm debating doing the Sunday workout, 2 x (1 mile E, 6mile 7:20) + 2 mile cool down, then going through the week with the relay starting Friday morning (~30 miles in 30 hours) and going easy the rest of the week. The other thought is to postpone training until June 4 and hop into Week 2 (17 to go). Part of me wants to do the workout because "Chicago training starts now' and part of me just doesn't want it to be here, or be real, or feel pressured, and just somehow get lucky. Week 2 Sunday is 2E + 3T + 60 min E (~7 miles) + 1T + 1E.

Currently, according to my calculated 48.8 VDOT value...

T is about 6:50-7:00. 10K pace was 6:47-6:51 depending if you go off Garmin or race results.

M is 7:15-7:24.

E is about 8-9:00.

I'm also planning on doing yard work this weekend so workouts will have to be in the morning.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - I'm a bit concerned that you seem fried on training already, and you're 6 months out....

FB - I ran with "arm-coolers" this past weekend, purchased at a cycling store.  (mine are made by Sugoi).  It might be placebo, but it felt like they really worked well.  Maybe see if you can get something similar?  Other than that, I dunno.

Steeple-chasing - I'm always amazed at how bad distance runners are at "finding distances" - the horsey term for meeting a jump in stride.  And they only have two legs to worry about, not four.

Light upper body weights and core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.

Somewhat stressful few days.  My necklace broke during Tuesday's track workout and I lost a pendant with little monetary value but immense sentimental value (the pendant contains the fur of a beloved cat).  So I spent all my free time searching, retracing my steps, renting a metal detector ($35 for 24 hours, if you're curious).  Nothing.  I was about to call in the Ringfinders.

Then I posted a picture of the pendant yesterday afternoon.  That evening, I got a message that someone had picked it up on Tuesday morning, thought it wasn't terribly valuable, and thrown it in the trash at the track....So back to the track immediately that night, where I emptied the 2/3rds full trash can and proceeded to sort through the contents.  And... found it!  Whew!

I don't want to do that again, though.  I still feel dirty, and I've showered several times since.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dark wave: I think it’s more fear/uncertainty. It’s actually the first time, it feels like, where I set a goal and there is a lot riding on it. It’s also the most expensive marathon I’ll run. I think a part of it is doing this new thing (not drinking beer) this month on top of realizing how much 56-70 mpw requires. On top of wanting to figure out when I could cross train. I know your rules are no gym on hard workout days or before or after. I think that gets me 2 days (mornings) to do that stuff and I’ll break up the long weeks into double days to get morning miles...if I can get up. I’m sleeping like a TANK these past few days, like, hit the bed and wake up wondering what time it is and it’s time to wake up.

edit: oh and it’s much closer to 4 months at this point. June 1 is here like tomorrow practically. Which just amps everything up. It’s been a while for me to have a big race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Strict WTF adherent

It’s also the most expensive marathon I’ll run. 

Not if you get to B------

Flight to Phoenix takes off in 10 hours. Certain doom awaits.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not if you get to B------

I recommend consumption of beer prior to flying, prior to sleeping, and prior to running. Enjoy it. You COULD be traveling all this way for Disneyland.

VDOT 53.37 

Pesto

Hi all, work has been too busy lately so I've had no time to catch up here. I just wanted to drop by to say hi.

Some great weeks as usual! And good luck to everyone racing or doing that crazy r2r2r thing. Are you doing this as well, fb? Or is it a different crazy thing?

brew - I'd start on the second week or remove one week from the plan. I am going to take 2 weeks off the 2Q plan so I have a 16 week plan in the end.

DkW - glad you were able to find the pendant. Eventually, you'll feel clean again and will have it with you Smile And I had no idea about ringfinders being a business, crazy.

I've had 3 weeks at around 40 miles, with some speed work, but it seems this week I will be below that. Too much work. On the bright side, I got a new PR in a club 5k race last week, 18:03.

Have a good weekend everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

pepperjack

pie man

Good luck rim folks.

Dumb Flo wins the pigeon meme:

https://twitter.com/dumbflotrack/status/999071138377482240?s=21

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Strict WTF adherent

I recommend consumption of beer prior to flying, prior to sleeping, and prior to running. Enjoy it. You COULD be traveling all this way for Disneyland.

On that  Bell's porter at 7 a.m.

Not sure about prior to running. I also have been instructed not to have a beer at phantom ranch (by someone other than climberdave). But I have packed supplies to mail some bottles of "hot sauce" back home.

In any case, we appear to have been blessed by the weather gods. Probably because max isn't coming.

Pesto - that's a really solid time. Congrats

Regarding those bonus points dad got for spotting RLK... Are 3:20 points redeemable for anything? Like chuck e cheese tokens?

fb-guy

Is there a list of certain-dooners doing R2R2R? Just read the website -- have fun!

Any other racers this weekend?

I think I'm going to try our local 100K Saturday -- Passatore. I found out about it from a neighbor on Weds, and the organizers seem to be willing to let me in after registration had already closed. Taking Brew's advice and shooting for 15-16 hours against a 20 hour cut-off. Never done a race at night.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

OMR

Pesto:  Oof, speedy 5K, congrats on the PR!

R2R2R-ers:  Good luck!

fb:  I was going to suggest 14-15, but if there's night running involved, then Brew is probably right.  Oh, but I checked out the website...it's on pavement?  I'm going back to 14-15!  Good luck!

Dwave:  Glad you found the pendant!  Hopefully you get the stench washed off in a few days!

Regarding those bonus points dad got for spotting RLK... Are 3:20 points redeemable for anything? Like chuck e cheese tokens?

Maybe I can use to pay fines imposed by thread dictator?

Have, umm, fun at R2R2R. And, you too FB. (I blame SMax for all this silliness.)

DkW ~ Glad you found your pendant. I can relate to the angst, thought I lost my wedding ring a few years ago.

Pesto ~ Excellent!

fb-guy

Have, umm, fun at R2R2R. And, you too FB. (I blame SMax for all this silliness.)

Yep.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Nifty arm coolers. A while back I remember seeing shirts made with Xylitol to provide some of the same effect. Congrats on finding the pendant, and for finding out you have no penchant for dumpster diving. <<< I know that was bad, but I just couldn't help myself.

Brew - I'm going to disagree with Pesto on this one and say try the workout. Rip off the band-aid and find out where you stand. So long as you're using an accurate VDOT the workouts are doable - some are tougher than others, yes, but all doable. Getting that first solid workout done can be a good motivator. And if you skip this one, are you going to feel the same apprehension about the next week's LR?

Pesto - That's smokin'! One of these days...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Strict WTF adherent

DWave - Nifty arm coolers. A while back I remember seeing shirts made with Xylitol to provide some of the same effect. 

"In some people, xylitol may cause gastrointestinal discomfort, including flatulence, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome.[12]"

AceHarris

Xylitol can help prevent cavities, so when you're not wearing those arm sleeves, give them a chew!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)