Which is more tiring or boring? Run 500 miles or read War and Peace? (Read 139 times)

jingchunyu

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/20/war-and-peace-tops-britains-classic-fiction-wishli/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/12078324/War-and-Peace-great-but-has-anyone-read-it-Not-the-cast-of-the-new-BBC-production.html

War and Peace is a daunting book even Lily James admitted she had not read it until she accepted the role of Natasha Rostova.

I actually have a perfect solution if you want to read it.  Download an audiobook version into your iPod and listen to it when you run.

Which of Reading it or running 500 miles is harder or more boring does not matter, when you finish one, you finish the other

Joann Y

So you are answering your own questions?

I actually have a perfect solution if you want to read it.  Download an audiobook version into your iPod and listen to it when you run.

Thanks for the advice chief, but I think i'll stick to my music while running. A little Tool, some Missing Persons, you get the idea.

War and Peace is is really a very exciting book and not boring or tiring at all. Running 500 miles is also very exciting and not boring or at all (could be tiring). I guess I don˙t understand the dilemma. Read and run!

Joann Y

War and Peace is is really a very exciting book and not boring or tiring at all. Running 500 miles is also very exciting and not boring or at all (could be tiring). I guess I don˙t understand the dilemma. Read and run!

Ha! I was thinking this same thing earlier today. Although I can't say that I actually finished War and Peace but I remember being surprised at how much I liked it.

I can't imagine being a full grown adult saying that I was "bored".

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Did you read it in Russian or the translation Big grin

nevels

Granted, I've never run 500 miles, but a few years ago, I did a fundraiser run over the course of a week and a half, running 376 miles from Gulf Shores, AL, to the AL-TN state line.  There are many ways to describe the experience, but "boring" is definitely not one of them.

Maybe I should read War and Peace...

Joann Y

Did you read it in Russian or the translation Big grin

The attempt I made was a translation. I got really hung up on figuring out how the army was organized. It was fascinating but I stopped soon after I started making outlines and charts. I don't think I was very far into it. Some day when I'm really bored I'll give it another go!

Joann Y

888 days, huh? Impressed!

Thanks! And thanks for noticing and pointing it out - I can't believe that I didn't notice the nice round number myself.

About War and Peace. I was surprised that it was a lot like a telenovela.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So I checked.  At one ppd, you'll have to continue your streak another year.  Or you could read more than a page a day.  Is a page equivalent to a mile?  Is a brain cell equivalent to a muscle cell?  It's late in the day, I think I'm punchy.

War and Peace

Front page of War and Peace, first edition, 1869 (Russian)
                        AuthorLeo Tolstoy
                        Publication date 1869
                        Media type Print
                        Pages 1,225 (first published edition)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Addendum. Page one of that edition looks like this:

jingchunyu

Only 4% of full growns in UK actually read it.   Percenatges are not higher at other places except for Russia

where it is said it is mandatory for high school students to read it by state curiculum

Ha! I was thinking this same thing earlier today. Although I can't say that I actually finished War and Peace but I remember being surprised at how much I liked it.

I can't imagine being a full grown adult saying that I was "bored".