Things that make you swear when you run (Read 1729 times)

This makes me chuckle more than swear, but I've run up on split givers and water station volunteers without them being aware that anyone was coming and watched them try to scramble to do their job.

One thing that did make me swear was when I was running a relay marathon with some work colleagues.  The lady that put it together ran for fitness, I think.  I ran my leg and planned to hand off to her.  Apparently, she wasn't expecting me to arrive when I did, so I spent a few minutes trying to find her, so she could do the final leg.  I hung around the exchange zone for a little swearing under my breath at her before I gave up and got on the shuttle bus to the finish.

I'm not sure when she arrived to the exchange zone, nor do I know how long she waited for me after I had left, but she got a good ol' ribbing from the rest of the relay and plenty of people at work.

That's when I decided that I'm only running relays with people I "know".

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This ^ and garbage trucks.

I always beat the garbage trucks.  They stop at every aid station.

This makes me chuckle more than swear, but I've run up on split givers and water station volunteers without them being aware that anyone was coming and watched them try to scramble to do their job.

Similarly, I had someone give me my first mile split in a 5k at 3:52. I had to chuckly rather than swear because it was so obviously wrong. The volunteer had moved the aid station/mile marker from 1 mile from the start to the closest bench along the course presumably to be able to sit while waiting for the race to come by.

Similarly, I had someone give me my first mile split in a 5k at 3:52. I had to chuckly rather than swear because it was so obviously wrong. The volunteer had moved the aid station/mile marker from 1 mile from the start to the closest bench along the course presumably to be able to sit while waiting for the race to come by.

That reminds me...

Recently during a 5k as I approached a group of spectators somewhere near the 1 and 1/2 mile point a guy looked at his watch and yelled out "9:21"...then he said "Just so you know" when he saw the puzzled look on my face.  Seemed odd.  Is it common for people to yell out half mile splits?

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Shit, that IS nice.  Lucky guy.  Where do you live?

Yesterday morning as I was jogging along watching the frost evaporate and noting the clouds of mist gather on the lake I thought to myself "Shit, this is nice."

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Cars that don't slow down on dirt roads and leave you engulfed in their dust plume.  Sheer hell for contact lens wearers.

Leah, mother of dogs

xhristopher

Shit, that IS nice.  Lucky guy.  Where do you live?

Why? Are you a stalker?

Ha! I'm near Boston. This is in Wakefield, MA along a regular route.

Maggie & Molly

what really makes me swear is actually not when I'm running.  It is the other runner I see running with traffic - I get so upset and want to tell them they are risking their lives.  The other is the person who wears black head to toe then runs in the dark. I almost hit said person this morning on my way to the gym - crossed against a green without looking (or at least that I saw)   ugh.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Why? Are you a stalker?

Ha! I'm near Boston. This is in Wakefield, MA along a regular route.

I'm way too self-centered to be a stalker. :P

I went to school in MA.  It IS beautiful up there, albeit cold this time of year.  OK, sorry for thread derail.  I just get jealous of people in rural surroundings... NY is so dreary.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

I love running like a ninja!

The other is the person who wears black head to toe then runs in the dark. I almost hit said person this morning on my way to the gym - crossed against a green without looking (or at least that I saw)   ugh.

CT JEFF

sometimes I run barefoot. Stepping on an acorn with my forefoot causes vulgarity.

When barefoot, I often come up on people and surprise them because Im quiet (and there are some on the trail with earphones blocking out the joys of nature). Those people seem to let out more swears (brief ones of shock) .

Oh- yeah- I did a race barefoot with almost 1 mile out of 5 being unpaved with several stones. I did my best not to swear.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Mysecondnewname

These^^

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

These^^

What are those, ie. what kind of tree produces them?  I encounter them in a few places, and a coworker of mine turned his ankle on one.

amn77

what really makes me swear is actually not when I'm running.  It is the other runner I see running with traffic - I get so upset and want to tell them they are risking their lives.  The other is the person who wears black head to toe then runs in the dark. I almost hit said person this morning on my way to the gym - crossed against a green without looking (or at least that I saw)   ugh.

Had a similar experience this morning on my way to the gym too. It's 5:30 am, pitch dark, and the runner was in a black shirt running on the road with traffic. Oh, and this was in my neighborhood where there are sidewalks.

Allyson
                              Mysecondnewname

What are those, ie. what kind of tree produces them?  I encounter them in a few places, and a coworker of mine turned his ankle on one.

They are the dreaded hedge apples from the Osage Orange tree.

http://hedgeapple.com/

There are two forms we encounter:  the big green ones (pictured) and the little brown core once the flesh has decomposed/been eaten away.

The big ones distract you, while the little brown ones conspire to sprain your ankles!  Wink