Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Obesity Ads (Read 1741 times)

keeponrunning

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/03/31/f-physed-obesity.html  Interesting article.  
    Also, I find people today are way to concerned about 'cold' weather.   Even today a friend came up to me and asked if she was dressed warm enough to run.  She had 2 really think sweaters on.  It was above freezing.  I ran in a thin long-sleeved.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/03/31/f-physed-obesity.html  Interesting article.  
      Also, I find people today are way to concerned about 'cold' weather.   Even today a friend came up to me and asked if she was dressed warm enough to run.  She had 2 really think sweaters on.  It was above freezing.  I ran in a thin long-sleeved.  

It's important to remember that other people may be different than you -- especially with regard to keeping extremities warm, some people need a lot more coverage than others.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

keeponrunning

It's important to remember that other people may be different than you -- especially with regard to keeping extremities warm, some people need a lot more coverage than others.

I know I just found it funny because she didn't think she had enough on yet to me she looked like the overdressed kid on A Christmas Story (Red Rider b.b. gun)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have to admit, I've considered going to run a 5K with a fuel belt, just to entertain people who noticed. I mean, I don't have a hydration pack, or that'd be better. And actually, I've done at least one with a fuel belt, when I had it on to carry my phone beforehand, and forgot to take it off. But if I don't notice, I don't enjoy seeing people be entertained, so that kind of defeated the purpose.

But now that you mention it, the effect would be better if enhanced with obvious excess in layers of clothing, when it is perhaps a bit nippy outside.  It would be best to get a photo taken, to show the contrast between myself and other runners.

I'll have to try to remember this idea Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

corlickmark

asas

jules2

Yes food was far healthier in the past I remember we had lard or dripping sandwiches ( with lots of salt ) butter sandwiches ( with white sugar ) the neighbours "retired" racing pigeons and whatever happened to fried sheep brains which were considered a great delicacy by my father. But as others have said everybody was a lot more active so we tended to burn it off.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Feeling the growl again

whatever happened to fried sheep brains which were considered a great delicacy by my father. But as others have said everybody was a lot more active so we tended to burn it off.

Mad cow happened....you can't burn off prions...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And it relies, at least in part, on the common misconception that a fat-free diet is a healthier diet.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

And it relies, at least in part, on the common misconception that a fat-free diet is a healthier diet.

Just out of interest, what does "it" refer to here?

I'm not sure that anyone seriously advocates a fat-free diet. But on the other hand it's well known that the typical western diet contains rather more fat than is healthy.

It's also possible that people with significant excess body fat need rather less fat as a proportion of total calories than someone who is lean.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes food was far healthier in the past I remember we had lard or dripping sandwiches ( with lots of salt ) butter sandwiches ( with white sugar ) the neighbours "retired" racing pigeons and whatever happened to fried sheep brains which were considered a great delicacy by my father. But as others have said everybody was a lot more active so we tended to burn it off.

I fed my kids butter / sugar sandwiches as after school snacks.   Or honey and butter sandwiches.  

And Jules, thanks for that whole mad cow thing.  Almost 30 years later and they still won't take my blood.  Holes in my brain I'm sureWink

MTA: My kids were all very thin.

steph  

Chris UK

You forgot the SPAM FRITTERS !!

Happy New Year Jules.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Purdey

Self anointed title

the neighbours "retired" racing pigeons  

That's some pretty lean meat there Jules. 

Just out of interest, what does "it" refer to here?

Sorry, posting in a pre-coffee haze.  It's been asserted that the typical US diet today is less healthy than it was a generation or two ago.   The rebuttal to that assertion is to trot out some of yesteryear's fat-rich foods, implying that eating fat today isn't a significant cause, as we ate fatty foods decades ago without becoming morbidly obese.  I was trying to respond to that counter-argument (put forth tongue-in-cheek, I felt, in Jules' post) by pointing out the flaw in the nutritional premise on which "it" rests.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Lazy idiot

I fed my kids butter / sugar sandwiches as after school snacks.   Or honey and butter sandwiches.  

I still do this occassionally when I'm itching for a snack.  And I'm the one ridiculed in my family for being skinny.  It's a weird, weird world.

Tick tock

running yogi

i know several skinny people who eat unhealthy.

what should be the purpose of these ads, to be skinny or to be healthy ?

if it's to be just healthy, then why can't we have ads that show people eating healthy food, preparing there own healthy meals from cheap ingredients and children and adults running and playing around in public parks. that's it, no mention of fat people, at all.

may be my idea is too simplistic and won't create any shock effect at all.