Backwards running? (Read 155 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/news/is-running-backwards-the-new-fitness-trend_91708

Saw the above about backwards running as a way to prevent imbalances and injury. Well, perhaps till you trip and split your head open. Maybe a little bit would be safe on a track but not on the street. I have seen backwards skipping recommended as part of a prerace warm up.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Actually, people compete that way.

One of this guy's guides was a frequent poster on a running forum I was on first.

We used to do forward and backward everything with our drills in a winter xt class (on gymnastics floor exercise mats). I used to run backwards occasionally on trails, but too many loose dogs the last few years. (accelerometers didn't care for it)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

One of this guy's guides was a frequent poster on a running forum I was on first.

We used to do forward and backward everything with our drills in a winter xt class (on gymnastics floor exercise mats). I used to run backwards occasionally on trails, but too many loose dogs the last few years. (accelerometers didn't care for it)

Crazy - on trails? Wow. Seems rather dangerous. Tripping over a root and smacking one's head on a tree doesn't sound like a good way to race. To each his own I guess.

- Scott

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Chicks dig it when I do backward strides on the green by the gazebo by the lake in the summertime.

Runners run

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Chicks dig it when I do backward strides on the green by the gazebo by the lake in the summertime.

With sweat sparkling on your bare chest and your long ponytail flowing in the breeze?

- Scott

zonykel

Well, his backwards running is faster than my forward running. Then again, there are plenty of race-walkers who walk faster than I run.

how does the backward runner "see" where he's going? does he have mirrors? Or perhaps someone who runs next to him to avoid obstAcles?

fimmx

Interesting. I once tried walking backward on my treadmill, it was the strangest feeling ever. On the TM that is. Might be worth a try!

how does the backward runner "see" where he's going? does he have mirrors? Or perhaps someone who runs next to him to avoid obstAcles?

Some look over their shoulder. Others have a running "guide" that I referred to in the first post.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

With sweat sparkling on your bare chest and your long ponytail flowing in the breeze?

Well I can't make a ponytail but you got the idea.

Runners run

xhristopher

Interesting. I once tried walking backward on my treadmill, it was the strangest feeling ever. On the TM that is. Might be worth a try!

I saw a guy running backwards on the gym TM once. It was the strangest looking thing ever. On the TM that is.

Hip Redux

I prefer backwards cycling, myself.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That would be BadDawg.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

steph