How do you import strava json files to runningahead? (Read 82 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Recently some of my strava workouts do not offer an Export GPX option, only an Export Original, which produces a json file.

Does anyone know if any of the import options under Upload Data from File will work with the strava json files?

None of them say json, but several say zip, so I wonder if I zipped it if it would work with any of those--I don't know how to tell what type of data they expect inside the zip?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CalBears

Recently some of my strava workouts do not offer an Export GPX option, only an Export Original, which produces a json file.

Does anyone know if any of the import options under Upload Data from File will work with the strava json files?

None of them say json, but several say zip, so I wonder if I zipped it if it would work with any of those--I don't know how to tell what type of data they expect inside the zip?

I also have only Export Original in Strava and it produces .FIT file, not .JSON. .FIT can be easily imported to runningahead. If, for some reason, you still cannot get needed format, you can go to connect.garmin.com and do the export there.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They're not from Garmin, so that's probably why they're not FIT files.

CalBears

They're not from Garmin, so that's probably why they're not FIT files.

Not sure I understand - what that file from then? There are more than dozens different extension accepted in the upload area at this site. What kind of device do you use that is so incompatible? And if it is - just buy a cheap Garmin - for less than $100 you can buy something pretty decent.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Apple watch.

It doesn't appear to be listed, but like I said, some of the imports just say zip, so I don't know if they could be zipped json?

CalBears

Apple watch.

It doesn't appear to be listed, but like I said, some of the imports just say zip, so I don't know if they could be zipped json?

Oh, I don't have Apple Watch, but I would be surprised if its format is not supported by this site - that device is pretty common. I would check in the Technical Support section of this site and ask there - they will certainly be able to help. Also, I think there should be ability to auto-upload your workout from your main site, like I am able to auto-upload from connect(dot)garmin(dot)com - I never upload my activities manually.

an amazing likeness

json is not currently a supported import file format.

The references to zip on the importer page are about file size / upload performance  -- the file within the zip has to be one of the supported import types. When the zip hits the server, the files within are extracted and run through the importer -- the file type is not changed by the zip process.

Garmin Connect is the only current direct (platform to platform) integration for RunningAhead, and, to my limited knowledge, there's not integration between Apple Watch/Health & Garmin Connect.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

John Wood

You might be able to import the json file to excel then export it to xls or csv format, then import to here.

kcam

Could run them through a json to fit converter, google it .. or are you looking for more than a 'one-off' solution?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I finally broke down tonight and wrote a program to convert their json to gpx.

Note: their json is not a simple tabular format; it has various lists of things in structures.

Now I know that 1.6 billion seconds is how long it is since 1970 (because their json files use seconds since 1970 but their gpx files use standard time in text format).

I am now able to convert my files and load them into RA, one at a time.

mikesomsen

The second stage of software development services is the development of the software design. This stage involves the creation of the layout and other graphical designs. This stage of the software development services also involves extensive research on the market. This allows the developers to understand the business needs of the target market and make a solution that addresses these needs. A variety of software solutions are designed to address different business needs. This includes application design and shopping carts for e-commerce purposes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Apple watch.

I do all of my runs with an Apple Watch. I use the RunGap app to bridge them over to Garmin Connect, then -- voila -- they automatically are transferred to RA. I was using iSmoothRun for a couple of years to accomplish the same, but it was buggy AF and the developer was kind of a jerk to anyone who would report issues via his FB page.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I do all of my runs with an Apple Watch. I use the RunGap app to bridge them over to Garmin Connect, then -- voila -- they automatically are transferred to RA. I was using iSmoothRun for a couple of years to accomplish the same, but it was buggy AF and the developer was kind of a jerk to anyone who would report issues via his FB page.

Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to ask as I'm really close to making the switch (garmin->apple) myself. Is RunGap an app that records runs and exports (I believe this is what iSmoothRun is), or do you use the native app and it does the export? Are you OK with the native apple app for running?

dorotyadams

Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to ask as I'm really close to making the switch (garmin->apple) myself. Is RunGap an app that records runs and exports (I believe this is what iSmoothRun is), or do you use the native app and it does the export? Are you OK with the native apple app for running?

The Strava JSON files you have exported do not directly work with the GPX import options, as they are different formats. However, you might be able to convert the JSON files to GPX format using some online converters or tools before importing them into Strava. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Online Converters: Some online tools can convert JSON to GPX. Search for "JSON to GPX converter" in your preferred search engine, and you should find several options. Upload your JSON file, and the converter will provide you with a downloadable GPX file.

2. GPS Data Editors: There are GPS data editors that can read JSON files and save them in GPX format. Look for GPS data editing software and see if they support importing JSON and exporting as GPX.

3. Scripting or Coding: If you are familiar with scripting or coding, you can write a script to convert JSON to GPX. There are libraries available for various programming languages that can help with this conversion.

As for the import options under "Upload Data from File" on Strava, they usually expect GPX or FIT files (a binary file format for storing GPS data). While some of them mention ZIP, they typically expect GPX or FIT files to be zipped, not JSON. Zipping the JSON file won't change its format, so it won't work with the existing GPX import options on Strava.

Once you have the GPX file from the conversion, you should be able to use the regular "Upload Data from File" option on Strava and choose the GPX file for import. Remember to review the converted data to ensure accuracy after the conversion.

Always be cautious when using third-party tools to handle your data, and consider making a backup of your original files before attempting any conversions.

Whiseed44

Hello! Thank you very much for your recommendations. I am studying to become a programmer and it is very important for me to read articles that help me in my studies. This service came in handy for me. it helps a lot with complex tasks. The steps you've outlined cover various approaches, including online converters, GPS data editors, and scripting or coding for those who are comfortable with programming. Thank you and all the best.