Finish order vs. chip time order (Read 236 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, I guess if I keep racing with the stroller (in which case I'll keep starting from behind) I'm gonna have to suck it up and get used to it, or train more and run faster!  Just happy to be able to race still and post some relatively good times.   Plus, it's a big pleasure on its own to pass people with that giant stroller  :-)

Your kids are going to grow up to be speed junkies!

JimR

In the last event of a race series a few years back, I was tied with another guy for 2nd place in our a/g, so that race would decide who took 2nd and who took 3rd.  They awarded by chip time, not gun, and they did self-managed wave starts so it was critical I found him to not get screwed by the time differential.  I spotted him in the wave 2 group and made sure we crossed the start mats at exactly the same time.  That was a situation where it mattered.  I prefer racing by gun to make it easier, if I finish ahead of you, I beat you.

First mile was downhill and we were flying. I clocked a 5:35 mile which was a bit too fast but it moved me from maybe 150th to 6th or 7th place.

--- Holy crap... I need to start running with a stroller!  Big grin

I'm not certain about the awards situation, but I think in future races, getting the gun and chip time close from the start for proper awards would be achieved by starting near the front of the pack.   When you get up there, just let the folks around you know you are going to be doing 6 minute miles and they'll be perfectly okay.    Seems that to zoom off the front of the pack at the start would be a better scenario than passing all runners. (Although that part does sound fun!)

Also, Congrats on the twins!    I have identical twins as well, age 15 now.  (They are going through puberty, IE.  Their "Klingon rite of passage" or some crap, so it is hell on earth sometimes, but anyway...  Congrats!)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xhristopher

I've never tried starting from the back while strollering a 5K and view it as a little bit of a stunt, not much different than if I did it without a stroller. When you are a 17-18:XX 5K runner most of the field will be running under your easy pace anyway. I tend to view passing through heavy traffic as something to be avoided at all costs. The first quarter mile can be tricky and there are races I won't consider, or won't run again with a stroller. 200 or less runners or less is ideal and I try to start in a position where people will be going out at about the same pace and after things settle out pick my way through, just like any other race.

Resident Historian

As an RD, I've occasionally brought a fast runner pushing a stroller up to the front.  I think there's more risk of a problem trying to pass so many people than a fast runner getting in the way from the front. You might ask the race director in advance if you want to compete for overall.
            Besides, as a runner, I HATE it when the stroller passes meWink (even though the stroller pusher is probably 30 years younger).

On the gun vs. chip question, I prefer gun time even for AG in smaller races where I know who the AG competition is. In the really big races, chip time for AG is almost required to place older runners not trying for overall position in the right place. Also, in big races, it's harder to spot the AG competition.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks guys, I didn't even consider asking the RD if I could start at the front, but I have another 5k in a week or two and will ask that guy.  I'd much rather start on the line, but I didn't want to be an a-hole to the RD.

As for running down the the hill, it's actually a lot harder than expected, not easier.  I thought the stroller would sort of pull itself or even pull me and I could coast with big gazelle-like steps, but really what happens is it pulls against me while I'm trying to pull it back to keep it from going even faster than I'm comfortable.  The 5:35 down the hill was work --I had to basically keep my body "braking" which wasted a lot of energy.  I ran the same hill 2 or 3 days after the race (I think it's in my log) and ran 5:16 that felt easy in comparison.

Anyway, It's fun racing with the stroller.  Part of me feels a little less pressure, and man I feel so much unnecessary pressure in these small 5ks for some dumb reason.  If I don't perform well, I can always tell my friends or the people I coach, hey, I had to push that damn stroller.  :-) 

Plus, I'm really hoping enough of these races will instill a love of fitness into my twins, or at least get them so accustomed to it that it's perfectly normal that mommy and daddy get up early to run after people every weekend.  Maybe they'll think it looks like fun. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks guys, I didn't even consider asking the RD if I could start at the front, but I have another 5k in a week or two and will ask that guy.  I'd much rather start on the line, but I didn't want to be an a-hole to the RD.

But isn't it the other runners whom you're inconveniencing (and/or endangering), not the RD?  (unless the RD is racing, which I'd think unlikely)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Resident Historian

But isn't it the other runners whom you're inconveniencing (and/or endangering), not the RD?  (unless TD is racing, which I'd think unlikely.

No. IMO a fast runner going off the line with a stroller will not inconvenience the other runners. My experience is that the front rows will recognize the situation. And will do alnost anything to stay ahead of the stroller. Wink

Having that runner trying to pass the field from the back presents a greater concern - no matter how careful the runner is, someone can wander in front of him or her, and the speed differential (5: xx vs. 8-9-10: xx) will be significant

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

ultramarathon/triathlete

But isn't it the other runners whom you're inconveniencing (and/or endangering), not the RD?  (unless the RD is racing, which I'd think unlikely)

I agree with what was said by Letting off steam.  I don't think I'd inconvenience anyone, and certainly would not endanger anyone else racing.

To paint a better picture, I'd start to the far right (which in this case would give everyone else the most space) and I'd probably be immediately in front of everyone.  We're talking smaller races, and I tend to win or place in these (case in point, last weekend).  This isn't something with a big elite crowd that would be running over me at the start (although I start on the line in those too, but of course not with a stroller).  

Then again, if the RD says no, I'll be back to starting end-of-pack.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

The most dangerous thing I've found in racing with stroller racing are the kids who like to race to the first corner at sub six pace. They will zig-zag to pass, not looking where they are going, running sideways through you like you aren't even there. It's not like they don't pose the same obstacles for everyone else, it just takes more work and concentration to not get near them in the first place. It's not hard to pick races and starting positions to avoid this and you must be willing to yield for safety and take wider lines to pass. I do think the experienced runner can manage a stroller just fine and not be anyone's problem.

I did a race last weekend while on vacation where a dad ran with his 10 month old son in a stroller.

The race was hilly (Kauai, Hawaii, hilly with a 600ft drop over about 2 1/2 miles without any temporary flat relief), and this team (Smile) was running about my pace.  They passed me about mile 2 or 3 (and I guess they started near the back).  I passed them on the uphill portion (miles 4 - 6), and then they passed me on the downhill portion (miles 8 - 11).  I talked to him on all 3 occasions, as we both had an MDot tattoo on our calf.

While they passed me on the downhill portion, I was somewhat worried for them.  It was raining non-stop for the previous half hour, and his downhill run was fairly fast and quite slick.  He was in full control, though.
                        I met them again after the race, and congratulated them on their finish.

A few days later, on the other side of the island, I saw him and his wife (and son) again doing a hike to some waterfalls.  The hike was total 8 miles, and through some very tough terrain (hopping rocks, up and down, slippery slopes, etc)..  We spoke at the falls again.  On the way back, we were following them, and I was thinking that it must be a heck'uv'a lot easier doing a half marathon with a stroller than doing that hike carrying their kid through that trail.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life