Running etiquette (Read 1425 times)

shyrunner07

speaking kind of of kids.... hannah and i will be doing a 5k walk next weekend. would it be okay (provided we hung out in the back) to take it easy and leisurely walk, or is it just understood that if you are taking part in an event, that you actually put forth an effort to "compete"? I thought the walk would be fun to do with her, as it winds its way through a zoo...plus it'd be a chance to do something special together Smile. But i know that there is no way she'd be able to "competitively" walk... Not sure if that's kosher...?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I see kids frequently in my local 5K's. Typically they'll run for a bit, then walk, then run, then walk. Depends on the kid. There's nothing wrong with walking the whole thing so long as you start at the back so you don't get trampled (or get in anyone's way, lol!). I often see more "recreational" walkers finishing in 50-ish minutes.

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think they have absolutely no place in a race. C'mon, if people want to train with it, OK. But if they're running a race, they should get a freakin' baby sitter. If they can race with a stroller then I should be able to run with my dogs, but I won't because it's inconsiderate. OTOH, in the case of Team Hoyt, I think that's certainly a special case, and they know what they're doing.
        Believe it or not, some parents find this a bonding experience with their kids. If they line up at the back they are in no way interfering with what you're doing. Their finish time does not affect yours any more than mine affects yours. Live and let live.

Roads were made for journeys...

hannah and i will be doing a 5k walk next weekend. would it be okay (provided we hung out in the back) to take it easy and leisurely walk, or is it just understood that if you are taking part in an event, that you actually put forth an effort to "compete"?
          I think that would be absolutely fine Smile As long as you start in the back I don't see what the problem is. You do what YOU want to do in a race --- be it win the whole thing, PR, or make it a leisurely walk. As for the stollers thing, I have no problem with them as long as they don't cut me (or anyone else) off or block a narrow trail. I also have a problem with them passing me up hills ... but that's just a personal issue Wink
          2009: BQ?
            What do you think law lady--is there litigation potential in this case?
            Haha, probably not ... unless you could PROVE that you would have run BUT FOR the lady cutting him off ... and that's a wee bit too speculative!
            2009: BQ?