Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

BeeRunB

If you have Amazon Prime streaming, HBO shows are now available.

I discovered that yesterday. Prime just got a leg up on Netflix.

Plan to start "The Wire" this week. 

Believe

If no one else has already said so, Orphan Black on BBC America.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Plan to start "The Wire" this week. 

I'm jealous that it'll be your first time through it.  First four seasons are incredible -- the last season is pretty much the actors and writers having a good time of it.  The first season is a very long burn -- so be patient; the writers are in no rush.

I'm on my second season of "The Newsroom" (HBO).  I don't think it's anywhere near as good as "The West Wing" but it's still nice to watch an intelligent TV show.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

I'm jealous that it'll be your first time through it.  First four seasons are incredible -- the last season is pretty much the actors and writers having a good time of it.  The first season is a very long burn -- so be patient; the writers are in no rush.

I'm on my second season of "The Newsroom" (HBO).  I don't think it's anywhere near as good as "The West Wing" but it's still nice to watch an intelligent TV show.

Thanks, man. 

Birdwell

How's the wire so far?

Our TV broke so I being relegated to strictly Netflix on the iPad.

I'm going nuts!

No more marathons

How's the wire so far?

I'm going nuts!

We're doing this one also.  Middle of season three.  Great show.

Alternating with the second season of Orange is the new Black.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but just for chuckles the seasons of "inbetweeners" is a hoot.  Haven't watched the movie yet.  And don't remember if it's on netflix or amazon.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

BeeRunB

How's the wire so far?

I'm going nuts!

I just got back from a vacation and will try an episode soon. With all the HBO stuff now on Amazon Prime, I got distracted by Band Of Brothers and Six Feet Under, and binged on those before traveling.

SheCan

Well if we're going to include political series, I'll throw in Alpha House with John Goodman.   Its not everyone's sort of show, but it has some pretty good tongue in cheek humor, and I was surprised at how much I liked it.  I sure hope they make more episodes.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I see that PBS is going to be running the original BBC version of House of Cards. FX just wrapped up Fargo. Holy crap that was good.

BeeRunB

Binged on the WWII miniseries The Pacific this weekend on Amazon Prime. The HBO Spielberg-Hanks followup to Band Of Brothers. The Pacific is a much darker experience than their earlier effort, focusing mainly on three characters, and the psychological toll the war was having on them and their companions. This series is not for the squeamish, as it pulls no punches on the brutality of war, and how it drove some men over the edge. It's truly amazing to me that people could come home from such experiences and go on to create full and productive lives. If you liked Band Of Brothers, don't expect it to feel the same. Just as it seems the war in the Pacific was a more brutal one (weather, the Japanese never gave up, disease, and it went on for a long time), so is this miniseries. I didn't really enjoy watching, because of all the suffering, but I'm glad I did. It helps to maintain a gratefulness for what that generation achieved, and the freedom they preserved.

FX just wrapped up Fargo. Holy crap that was good.

+1

watched the season finale earlier and it was all kinds of awesome. it would be shocking if both Fargo and True Detective aren't beset by award nominations in the near future.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just saw season 1 of "Rectify".  Certainly not your normal TV show.  Guy is on death row for 20years (from 18yo -> 38yo).  His sentence is vacated (that is, he isn't innocent, the state just wants a mulligan on the trial).  The show is about his internal struggle to get back to the world, as well as his family's to accept him.

This isn't for everyone.

One thing I did really like though, was that even the jerk step-brother, who is 100% sure the guy is guilty, gives a rather odd but very thoughtful welcome back gift (pr0n mag).  That's great writing.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Late to comment on this, but I agree. I am sort of a political junkie, so I am always attracted to anything relevant to this. I was a huge West Wing fan, may start re-watching now that I finally have Netflix. (Although I've probably seen them all multiple times already, since they showed reruns on Bravo for a while.) I do not have HBO so ended up watching The Newsroom on a "borrowed" HBO GO account. It has the usual Aaron Sorkin brilliant dialogue, accompanied by a heaping helping of his usual self-righteous preachiness. Of course now I am using my new Netflix account to watch House of Cards, which I guess is The West Wing's evil twin. Pretty good stuff.

MTA: saw the other comment on Alpha House, checked into it & realized it is only on Amazon Prime. Dammit, how many streaming services do I need to buy?

Dave

BeeRunB

Thought I'd try Downton Abbey. Great and complex writing, good acting, beautifully photographed, interesting characters, and I don't need subtitles to understand the downstairs accents. I'm hooked.

I finished 3 seasons of "Sherlock" and was happy that I followed the Netflix suggestion of "Endeavor".