Numb Feet (Read 661 times)

No My wife runs with me and she has been experiencing numb feet during and after her run. Does she need new shoes? I believe her shoes are cross-trainers, not running shoes. Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? Confused
    James
    JakeKnight

I had some problems with that when I first started. Getting good running shoes that fit my feet helped. Getting real running socks helped more. And running a lot helped, of course. Now its never a problem.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Getting good running shoes that fit my feet helped. .
        Ditto. Her shoes may be to small.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

She might also be tying her laces much too tightly. That can lead to real injury and does cause numbness, at least in my feet.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

The first thing would be to look at the laces, I now run my laces up the sides of my shoes and most shoes have two laces for this very reason, it allows my arch to be able to expand, also I wear orthopedic inserts which support my arch and this makes it worse if you don't do it, then your pinching off your blood supply like an arch sandwich with orthopedic insert on the bottom and tight laces on the top plus its worse on some shoes depending if the shoe has more or less support or cushion in the arch area. I also have considered cutting the tongue down the middle in order to free up the arch.
              She might also be tying her laces much too tightly. That can lead to real injury and does cause numbness, at least in my feet.
              Yup, been there done that. You don't want to tighten the laces like you would with hockey skates, your foot will swell during longer runs. There are some lacing tips at http://newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/ which are kinda interesting, especially the "wide forefoot narrow heel" that uses two pairs of laces. The "top of foot pain" might be worth a try. It's great that you and your wife can run together, get her some well fitted running shoes and keep her on the road.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

runlouierun

Yup, been there done that. You don't want to tighten the laces like you would with hockey skates, your foot will swell during longer runs. There are some lacing tips at http://newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/ which are kinda interesting, especially the "wide forefoot narrow heel" that uses two pairs of laces. The "top of foot pain" might be worth a try. It's great that you and your wife can run together, get her some well fitted running shoes and keep her on the road.
                Thanks for the link! Smile I've been having problems with my left foot (sore ball of foot and numb toes) and am going to try the lacing from here to see if it improves.
                  I was having this problem recently.........it seems to be better now after a month or so, and also, i started lacing my shoes a little looser (think they are about .5 size too small).......It was starting after about 2.5 miles,.....now it seems OK...and I ran 7 this weekend...... Try lacing the shoes a little looser - and I would always dvise her to get running shoes not x-trainers (I know I never had any luck in xtrainters)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

This could also be something called compartment syndrome. I have had it and it went away. I have had a friend who had it and she had to have surgery on both legs (this was extreme, of course). If this keeps up she may need to go to a sports medicine doctor.