Vo2max (Read 2788 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just so we're perfectly clear, I still believe that VO2max is irrelevant. VO2max, on the other hand, is extremely critical, and you should have it tested at least quarterly.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

To effectively increase your LT I think you need to work just below it. Therefore you need to know what it is.... if you want to do it "intelligently" and "target" it. Just saying.
      Perhaps it's semantics, but you don't need to know your LT to do a tempo run. If you run comfortably hard for 20 minutes at a pace that you could race all-out for 60 minutes, you're working your LT, without really knowing it, and certainly without testing it. MTA: Purdey, to be fair, I acknowledge that VO2max is an relevant physiological metric for aerobic endurance exercise. But knowing it or worrying about it has zero impact on my running. And whether or not Noakes or anyone else has come up with a new understanding of it doesn't mean jack squat to me unless it produces a better way to train to race faster. I'm a big fan of 800m~1mi intervals in my training cycle. (Why not now? Because I have no base.) I know that running these will improve my VO2max. That's all well and fine, but all I care about is that they will get me from the starting line to the finish line faster than if I don't do them. And sure, I read Daniels, and I base target training paces on some of his tables. And he has VDOT, which is an approximated VO2max. But McMillan gives you the same kind of training paces without Vanything in his table, and it's just as effective. To me, the workouts and results matter, but the actual number, and certainly getting it tested, does not.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gloule, you are a boolean semanticist.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Gloule Globule, you are a boolean semanticist.
          Trent, you are a spelling moron.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Perhaps it's semantics, but you don't need to know your LT to do a tempo run. If you run comfortably hard for 20 minutes at a pace that you could race all-out for 60 minutes, you're working your LT, without really knowing it, and certainly without testing it.
            By knowing what that pace is, you probably know enough about your LT. Agreed.
            To me, the workouts and results matter, but the actual number, and certainly getting it tested, does not.
            Blobby - we are, I say again, in violent agreement. Cool

JakeKnight

This thread sucks.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Purdey

Self anointed title

This thread sucks.
                thanks for your valuable input.... as ever. Yes it does rather doesn't it?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Blobby - we are, I say again, in violent agreement. Cool
                  I love the phrase "violent agreement." I picture two guys throwing punches at each other. Globule: You're right! *punch* Purdey: No, you're right! *punch* Globule: I agree with you! *punch* Purdey: No, I agree with you! *punch*

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

#artbydmcbride

I violently agree.

Runners run

I need a drink . . .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

I violently need a drink.... who's up for getting hammered?

ME!! Margaritas?!? I like mine on the rocks, no salt . . . . please! With chips and salsa.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance