DFW/Texas Runners - El Scorcho Dos - Who's in? (Read 1612 times)

Len

Damn Yankee

Modal, Bonkin and I found each other, meeting other RA members was pretty much the highlight of my night. I basically ran a 10k tempo with a 15k cooldown. Finished in 2:17: xx. MTA- I have a couple of complaints about the race, but my big one is the finishers medal. I honestly would rather not have one than what I got. I hope the 50k swag was better because anyone who did ten laps in that is one bad mofo.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Non ducor, duco.

Modal, Bonkin and I found each other, meeting other RA members was pretty much the highlight of my night. I basically ran a 10k tempo with a 15k cooldown. Finished in 2:17: xx..
      Sorry I missed this. My family became like the Corleones in the last days. Glad you survived it without blowing chunks.

Non ducor, duco.

dup
        xor

For the 50k, I think we got the same medal plus a little sheriff's star that was 50k-specific. I thought they were ok... I'm not used to getting medals at ultras. I really enjoyed the race A LOT, except that I got very sick in the middle laps. But I recovered. More on that when I write my report. About the only two things I might suggest for improvement are: 1) (tiny thing) better markings on the course. I saw two folks get off course. One lady ran full force into a knee-high cable barrier, went over face first, and busted out some teeth. Luckily a cop was right there. HOWEVER, all night long, I saw tons of people kind of cutting the course slightly. On the out part of that out-and-back section, there were two spots where the official course kind of shifted left or right to add distance, but lots of people just went straight. no biggie to me. I was more concerned with that cable barrier (if you don't know about it, it was under the bridge near the turnaround. 2) (bigger thing) the food at the end of the 50k was goofy goofy GOOFY. We ran 31 miles and it ended at 4a-6a, depending. What did we have? Bottles of water and cold pasta that was probably warm some hours before. Period. No real fruit, no substantial food. Who wants pasta at 6a? Yuck. But I really did have a lot of fun. report will be out in a few days.

Pre-Race I could have done more to prepare for this race. Consistently running at night before the race would have helped. Day before, the race director and his assistants held a small information session where I met Lorrieg and Ken. About 2 hours before the race, I drank several Mountain Dews (my performance altering drug) and had a decent sized Chinese meal (carbo-loading). I get over to the race site. At the parking lot, I noticed srlopez getting his race goods together so I gave him brief hello. Now I have an idea what a marathon maniac looks like. I lugged all my junk down to the starting line which was about 500 yards from the parking lot. 500 yards was a long distance come post race time! I picked up my timing chip and started checking for familiar faces. 30 minutes later, I began to run into Bonkin’s co-workers. Eventually, I meet Bonkin again. Bonkin introduced me to Len and Len’s wife. I had not seen Bonkin since April and all I can say is this dude has seriously slimmed down. I discovered Bonkin drove a hellishly long distance to get back for this race and had a long run on Thursday (People check out his log! Yes, I know I said WT*, too.). I didn’t think Len was crazy at that point for his traveling several hours to partake in the event or Lorrieg for running Too Hot to Handle Saturday morning! Len, Bonkin, and Modal before the race The Race I did the 25K, which meant I would be doing 5-5K loops. First 5K Loop I had to hold myself back from running too fast after the first mile. My body felt comfortable doing 8 min/mile, but I knew that was not going to last. Second 5k Loop Mile 4, I went off part of the paved trail and landed on my ankle. It was my “oh ****” moment for the race, and the next half a mile it hurt. The pain eventually subsided to just a dull soreness. Third 5k loop Things are going smoothly and thought my progress was going good. As the loop started to end, negative thoughts creped in of what I experience during my 4th loop of El Scorcho Uno. Fourth 5K Loop Mile in I started getting a funky headache, which felt like a dehydration headache without head throbbing. Fifth 5K Loop Headache was still there. I just wanted to get the race over. I began to think about whether or not I would kick it the last mile. Well I did kick it, but only for the last quarter mile. Nutrition/Hydration I had brought a hydration belt along, but decided to leave it behind and use what was provided on the course. There were 2 aid stations spaced about a 1.5 mile apart. I tried to get two cups off Nuun each time I passed through and during my last 3 loops I got banana halves at the first aid station. I found the Nuun mixture to be very inconsistent. Out of all the hydrating fluids I have had, I believe Gatorade with extra sodium works best for me. After Race I felt good for about 10-20 minutes. I drank some orange Gatorade which tasted like it had been altered. I had a cooler along and took out a big chunk of ice (32 oz). I started rubbing the block all over my body to cool down. My face felt sunburnt and was hot to the touch. My feet swelled up and my left little toe had a nice blister on the underside. Okay so I thought I was doing well, but then I started feeling all weird. My mouth had a funky base/metallic taste. Nausea started to hit me, but did not chunk any up. The uneasiness led me to spend time in the woods which let me clear my head as odd as that sounds. About 4:15 am, all I wanted to do was take a shower and get all my nasty wet clothes off. Post Race Meal I visited the local Quiktrip where I picked up 2 hot dogs, a pack of pretzels, and chocolate milk. Post Race Feelings I shaved 20-25 minutes of my prior time and met my goal of running it with 10 minute/miles so I was happy with my performance. Bonkin, can you change the title of this thread to El Scorcho Dos Reports.

Vim