How loyal are you to the local running store? (Read 897 times)

I'm lucky in that I have 4 specialty running shops here in ALbuquerque to choose from that are ALL locally owned! So far I'm not committed on any one particular store because they all sell different things that I like. They all carry a different selection of shoes. One store carries a TON of running clothes for decent prices so when I get the chance, I like to go there. One is very close to my house and they carry the gels I use so if I'm out, I go there, plus they sponser 90% of the races and are our sponsor for Albuquerque Fit so I do go there occasionally for clothes, never for shoes, and mostly for race entries. One is across town but has the BEST service I've ever gotten when buying shoes. One just sells shoes and I have ruled them out for personal reasons.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      When I first started running, one of the local stores had me try on tons of different shoes, so when I found the one I liked, I bought my first pair there. All of my pairs of the same shoes, I bought online for about 30% less. When I decided that I might want to change shoes, I went into another local store, they watched me run, had me try on a bunch of shoes, so I bought it there. I'd imagine my future purchases of that same shoe will be online for cheaper again. I figure, if they help me find the right shoe, I better buy at least that one pair there. They're not very competitive on prices (pretty much MSRP) and if I wear them once outside, they won't take them back. If they changed those 2 policies, I might buy them all there, but they haven't yet. Just my 2 cents . . .

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I am loyal with two local shops. One does not carry Mizuno (that is the reason for two). Last fall I went to buy a pair of shoes at the 'local running store' and all had in my money clip was a license, $5 and an amex card. The store did not take Amex. She said 'Don't worry about it, take the shoes, go run, and give me a call after with a different card". You will not find that level of trust or service at big box store. Plus they really know their stuff.

left-right-left-right-repeat

My local running store (there's only one) doesn't carry the shoes I like so I can't buy from them. I do buy other stuff from there like body glide.

A Saucy Wench

I was loyal to one store for years...but they went downhill in their knowledge and so I switched to a different store a little farther away.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

BostonRnr

I'm very loyal to Marathon Sports in Brookline and Boston. I value their expertise and wouldn't go anywhere else. Plus, they give out coupons at the races that they sponsor.
              milkbaby

I am VERY loyal to the local store... I'm in a small college town and we only had 2 stores that carried shoes that were available through running specialty stores. Both gave 10 or 15% off to our running club. I used to shop at the little store because it was a running specialty store and the other one was a more generalized sports store which catered to many sports. But then the small one moved away... Anyhow, I am now a loyal customer of the other store. Not only do the employees recognize me, but they do a very nice job. In fact, 3 weeks before my last marathon, I needed to replace some old trainers that were worn out, but when I went to the store, they were sold out of my size! I was so loyal that I actually bought a totally different pair of shoes than the ones I wanted. Of course, we all know how runners can get about their shoes, so to try a totally different shoe so close to an important race was a huge leap of faith. I coulda gone to the local big box sports store to get it, but I prefer to support the local guy. Also, I prefer not to buy anything over the internet. I don't know who is going to steal my packages off my doorstep and I also like being able to drive back to the local store to make a return on anything that's defective. I'm not rich by any stretch, but I prefer to pay for the convenience of dealing with a business locally.
                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura