Electrolyte Tablets - Compare (Read 198 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This summer, or at least when warm weather picks back up, I want to start using electrolytes - preferably during my long runs. I'd like to only need to carry water along with maybe a gel or GU, so I am trying to decide between GU Brew, Nunn and Hammer.

I would appreciate some opinions from those that have used these and what they think. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

No Talent Drips

Nuun Kola is my go to.

Dei Gratia

Slow and Steady

I use SaltStick, although after reading Tim Noakes' stuff I am wondering how necessary it really is.

P.S. I live in the tropics, where it's high humidity and upper 80's (at least) year-round.

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Do you have a link to Tim Noakes'?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Slow and Steady

Do you have a link to Tim Noakes'?

Here's a link to his book 'Waterlogged': http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X

And here's a link to a good article about the book and its concepts: http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/waterlogged-a-dogma-shattering-book.html

Eric S.

Julia1971

I did a taste test of Gu, Nathan, and Nuun a few years ago - lemon/lime or fruit punch for each - and thought Nuun Fruit Punch was the most tolerable.

I don't take it with me regularly.  Only on really long or hard runs in really hot conditions.  I'm one of those people who finishes those runs caked in salt...  I took my first salt tab after a race down in Florida (I was too scared to take it during since it was something new) last month and have been meaning to look into them.

This summer, or at least when warm weather picks back up

An optimist I see.

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Our forecast is promising temps in the 40's, 50's, 60's for the next 10 days so yes I have been fooled in to having hopes again...... lol

PRs

Latent Runner

This summer, or at least when warm weather picks back up, I want to start using electrolytes - preferably during my long runs. I'd like to only need to carry water along with maybe a gel or GU, so I am trying to decide between GU Brew, Nunn and Hammer.

I would appreciate some opinions from those that have used these and what they think. Smile

I did a lot of study on this last summer and ended up using Hammer Fizz (I like the Grapefruit flavor the best).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

sugnim

I like Nuun for 2 reasons: I don't get a headache when I use it, and it doesn't taste terrible.  Typically, if I do a long or hard run on a hot day, I end up with a throbbing headache--Nuun helps prevent this.  I think Hammer tastes terrible, but if you like the taste I would say go with Hammer because it is a local Montana company.  Smile  I've never tried Gu Brew.

I would recommend trying each of them out & seeing how you personally respond to them.

Best Present Ever

I am a weird person who doesn't much like to drink water and yet doesn't like to drink sweet drinks. (I mostly drink coffee and various teas, sometimes iced herbal teas when it's hot).   I love Nuun because it doesn't taste sweet, but has some flavor.  I like the orange flavor (orange ginger was the best, but now discontinued).  I tolerate lemon-lime and think all the others are pretty gross.

Feeling the growl again

Here's a link to his book 'Waterlogged': http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X

And here's a link to a good article about the book and its concepts: http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/waterlogged-a-dogma-shattering-book.html

Beware of Noakes.  He likes to mix a lot of rational-sounding soundbites with a lot of unsupported, data-poor extrapolations.

As an example, I've personally engaged him around his central governor model.  He'll say one can't over-ride the central governor, then he will give examples of where he claims he did personally during Comrades.  I call him on the inconsistency, and he back-pedals to claim one can't over-ride the central governor (a concept of which he has never been able to provide data proving it exists).

Noakes is one of those people that relies on a PhD and publishing for credibility, but if you actually look at the editorial responses of his peers many of them think he is a crackpot.  I was quite surprised how easy it was to fluster someone so well-published on their own positions.

I've used S-Caps for electrolyte replacement in hot weather.  Not enough to comment on overall effectiveness.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've tried gatorade and salt stick caplets. Salt stick holds off leg cramps in the summer, for me. My husband introduced me to scratch labs hydration drink which seems to work well and tastes pretty good (http://www.skratchlabs.com/products/exercise-hydration-mix-1). It's pricey, though.

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April

Slow and Steady

Beware of Noakes.

I don't know, this sounds a bit alarmist to me. I don't think Noakes' premises in Waterlogged are that outrageous:

• drink to thirst
                              • electrolytes may not be necessary

You'll hear anecdotal evidence both to support and to refute Noakes (so I won't contribute mine here). That's all well and good. The running (especially ultra) community tends to be pretty well-read and able to make decisions for themselves what works and what doesn't. That's half the fun!

Eric S.

Latent Runner

My own simple take on Noakes is that he is a crackpot; easy to ignore as irrelevant.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                                • 2-mile: 13:49
                                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13